Am I going nuts. Is this a feature or a bug.

I have a Rogers Torch with the newest OS, .246. On the phone talking or retrieving voice mail over the speaker. I bring the screen near my face, and the screen goes off. Phone still works. I take the phone away from my face, maybe move or turn it a bit, it comes on.

It is not the time out. That's 10 seconds, but if it goes off and I put it back up to my face, it goes off as soon as it comes near to my face. Almost like a sensor set so that my "cheek" doesn't dial on the touch screen.
    10-12-10 02:17 PM
    Proximity sensor.
    10-12-10 02:17 PM
    You serious? And is there any way to disable it? It's a pain if I'm listening to VM's and am pressing buttons to save, delete, return call etc.

Harry
    10-12-10 02:41 PM
    Every modern smartphone does this. It's there to turn off the screen while it's against your face and save on battery. If it's against your face, I presume you can't look at the lit screen so it goes off.

When away from your face, just press the trackpad button for the screen to come back on again and do whatever you want to do.
    10-12-10 03:00 PM
    No you can't disable it and why would reaally want to. If his is that big of a pain that put the phone on speaker or use the headphones that came with the device. This way it will not shut the screen off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-10 03:00 PM
    Ya..its the proximity sensor..and no..I don't believe there is any way to disable it. It can be a pain for voicemail if your just using the touchscreen..but if you use the slide out keyboard it works great. Otherwise if you can put it to speakerphone while listening to voicemail it will still enable you to use the on screen keyboard..although everytime you pull it away from your face the screen should light up again anyways thus enabling you to use the onscreen keys as well. It is just a matter of making a few small adjustments when learning your new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-10 03:03 PM
    Thanks guys for your fast response. I will use a work-around.
    10-12-10 03:26 PM
    Mine takes maybe a second to come back on once I pull it away from my face. This is how it's supposed to work. It also disables the screen so your cheek doesn't hit a button while you are talking on it.
    10-12-10 06:02 PM
    Even the non touchscreens do it, since it's not really useful to have the LCD on while your face is against the phone and uses battery.
    10-12-10 06:03 PM
    Just fyi if anyone else is having this problem, on my Torch i had a silicon 2-piece case, and I just realised that (i guess it's this proximity sensor?...) when I have the case on the phone, the screen is blank during a call no matter what. I just took the case off and it's perfectly fine.

*head.desk*
    11-30-10 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD