Like to start by saying that I've been reading the site for a good while, and finally have decided to register. Hopefully this topic hasn't come up before but didn't see anything in a quick search.

My main question is wether it's possible to buy a Torch on PAYG on Vodafone? Or if I went into a shop like Carphone Warehouse or Phones4u would I be able to buy the Handset only? ie without any contracts attached, and on Vodafone.

If it's not possible to do that, if I bought an o2 PAYG Torch, took it upto an unlock shop and then put my Vodafone Sim into it would it work straight away or would I need to copy service books and other stuff first?

I have a 9700 atm, though it's out of action and in getting repairs, one too many drops I think. But in the time without it, I've realised how much I miss my BB. So on Monday when I get paid I'm either going to buy a Curve 3G to use now and when my Bold's fixed keep the Curve as a backup, or else get a Torch to use and keep the Bold as a backup when it's fixed. Really will depend on wether I can get a Torch for Vodafone without a contract.

I live in an area with terrible signal all round, so the only way I can use my mobile consistently is using Vodafone Sure Signal, hence the requirement for Vodafone Torch.

Oh, and I'd much prefer to get the phone from a shop rather than order online.

TL;DR
    Can I buy a Torch simfree or on Vodafone PAYG from a UK shop, not online.

Thanks, any help with this would be appreciated.
    01-07-11 11:21 AM
    If the Torch is unlocked there's no reason why it wouldn't work on Vodafone PAYG or Contract. I've had an unlocked AT&T Torch on T-Mobile UK since September and they have only just started selling them.
    Nedved51 likes this.
    01-07-11 02:25 PM
    If the Torch is unlocked there's no reason why it wouldn't work on Vodafone PAYG or Contract. I've had an unlocked AT&T Torch on T-Mobile UK since September and they have only just started selling them.
    I mean if I took the phone to a shop that unlocks it, will I still have to copy service books etc as described in the sticky about unlocking a Torch? Just so I don't take the phone up the day I buy it and end up losing internet access because I haven't copied Service books.

Thanks for the reply though.
    01-07-11 02:35 PM
    You won't have to do any of that in the sticky. Just insert the Vodafone SIM and power up the phone. Vodafone will send the service books and you will be good to go.
    When I bought my unlocked AT&T Torch, I just slid the SIM card in, powered up and within minutes I was connected to BIS. I went to email setup and was asked if I wanted to switch my Gmail to this phone, replied yes and I was receiving emails in minutes.
    Nedved51 likes this.
    01-07-11 03:25 PM
    Awesome, thanks very much. I'll probably try the Curve and Torch in the shop, but looks like I could well be getting an o2 Torch on Monday.
    01-07-11 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD