Hello Torch owners,

I am planning to purchase a Blackberry Torch, the question that I have does the touch screen keyboard support Arabic language? On my previous Iphone you could go into setting and select which language keyboard you want, does the Torch/OS6 offer the same option?

I cant go in a store and test one since the stores next to me dont have one on display.

your help is appreciated.
    Last edited by ForceFed; 10-05-10 at 03:54 PM.
    10-05-10 03:01 PM
    Yes, I think it does. However you might have to install arabic with app loader. Not sure about the details, so hopefully someone else might chip in.

In any case it does suppport arabic. When I upgraded to .246, via the app loader, you are given a list of all the features you want to install or not. I was able to install greek. Again, this is for .246.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 04:57 PM
    When you bring up the touchscreen keyboard there is an icon to the left of the space bar that allows you to choose from a list of installed languages.
    10-05-10 05:04 PM
    Mine only has english and spanish. That's not to say you can't download a lang pack to it.

10-05-10 07:55 PM
    thanks for the reply,

I just purchased the Torch, excellent phone.
    I just checked my software version it says
    6.0 bundle 695(v6.0.0.246, platform 6.4.0.105)

is this the latest version, also how can I know if I have Arabic or not.
    In terms of virtual keyboard I only have English

thanks
    10-06-10 12:08 AM
    Double post
    Last edited by ForceFed; 10-06-10 at 12:26 AM.
    10-06-10 12:12 AM
    When you're using the touchscreen keyboard, press the globe symbol next to the space bar, and a menu list of available languages will pop up.

10-06-10 07:28 AM
    I'm not sure if they offer Arabic input but I'm quite certain that EastAsia varieties offer the ability to read the script. Multilanguage (M_PBr OSs) and All Language (AllLang) should do the same but I'm unsure about input.

Rogers has a Multilanguage pack available while Telus has an All Language pack. Unfortunately I don't have either installed on my phone but they'd be worth a shot if anyone else has them.

* Edit:

I went to check out what some of the middle eastern carriers offered for their other devices and the vast majority in Lebanon, Oman, and Saudi Arabia had Multilanguage packs for their other phones (9000, 9700, etc). One had a MidEast_Africa variety I'd never seen before but still, I'm led to believe that Multilanguage packs offer Arabic input. AllLang should too then by my own flawed logic.
    Last edited by houserichichi; 10-06-10 at 07:44 AM.
    10-06-10 07:31 AM
    I looked at my software version which I posted above it matches the multilanguage pack offered by rogers on the blackberry website. I can see/read the correct Arabic letters/layout on websites and emails but it doesnt give me a keyboard option. the only keyboard I have is English US and English UK.
    10-06-10 08:31 PM
    I went through a sampling of Middle Eastern countries' carriers and the OSs they offered with their phones (none of which are the 9800 as I don't think it's been released there yet). They almost all came with an M_PBr variety. That said, for the OP, I just checked the AT&T update page on BB and they have an M_PBr, an AllLang_PBr, and Asia_PBr. One of the first two should, IMO, contain Arabic input. Give it a whirl and let us know.
    10-06-10 09:05 PM
    ok i figured it out, oh man this is the best phone. OK as I said I already had the latest software pre installed by rogers when I bought the phone yesterday. I only had one virtual keyboard language that is English. So I installed Blackberry desktop manager on my MAC and clicked on the applications tab, and there it was, all the apps installed on the phone, including input language, there is tones of languages, Arabic was not selected thats why it was not installed on the phone. So I selected Arabic clicked on install and once the phone did its thing and rebooted there it was, now when i click on the Globe symbol next to the space bar on the virtual keyboard I get both the Arabic and English option.

Hope this helps
    alsouliman likes this.
    10-07-10 01:19 AM
    Do you know if you have the Asia or Multilanguage installed? I'm assuming the latter. Alas, glad to hear it works. I know the jEastAsia packs have it as a readable script but not as an input character set.

You'd think they'd have a primer on what language packs contain what languages... unless it's carrier dependent.

Good for you, ForceFed! \o/

You probably know already, but for those who don't, when typing on the physical keyboard you don't need to press the globe/world button on the touch screen to bring up input languages. You can hold the Alt key and press Enter as well. They do the same thing.
    10-07-10 11:11 AM
    i dont know how to tell, most likely the multilanguage package because I have Mideast(Arabic),European and Asian languages
    10-07-10 05:57 PM
    one thing i cant seem to accomplish is, i cant perform the 2 finger touch to be able to select a whole sentence or word to be able to copy and paste it.
    10-07-10 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD