The Torch 9800 native device search will not locate a text string in contacts, memopad and email unless it appears in the subject field, name field, or the company field. The Torch 9800 native search tool will not search and locate a text string like "9593", for example, if it is part of the house number in the address field in contacts, or part of a frequent flyer number that you store on the memopad, or if it is part of a confirmation number that is located in the body of an email message iteniery. The Torch 9800 search tool is optimized to search the web and social media sites, but not the device itself. The Bold 9000 had a much better native search tool. And there is no third party smart search App for this.
    10-04-10 02:08 PM
    The Torch 9800 search tool is optimized to search the web and social media sites, but not the device itself.
    Totally disagree with you. Yes..if you type in a number it won't filter thru your contacts or texts or emails..but that doesn't mean it doesn't search the device or is geared after media. If you want to change options such as keyboard or backlighting..a quick search takes you right to it. Wanna search the texts or get the contact info of a particular person just start typing their name. Just because it doesn't search the entire phone for one string of numbers doesn't make it a fail imo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 02:39 PM
    I for one am grateful the full content of all my messages isn't searched. No way a phone is gonna do this quickly, unless you keep only a small amount of messages. I know this because doing so on Outlook can take quite a while. And if it was somehow able to do so quickly, unless the search parameters where pretty unique the sheer number of returned results would be pretty cumbersome.

RIM got it right with Universal Search.
    10-04-10 04:25 PM
    The Bold 9000 had good native device search app, but Blackberry dumbed it down in the OS for the Torch 9800. As for third party apps, SyncData SmartphoneFind has a great device search tool... Syncdata SmartphoneFind
    Too bad it only works on the WM BlackJack and not the BlackBerry.

""SmartphoneFind is designed to search for the following item types:"

- Contacts
    - Appointments
    - Tasks
    - Text messages (SMS)
    - E-mail messages
    - File names
    - Phone calls from call history
    - Notes
    10-05-10 08:22 AM
    "tool will not search and locate a text string like "9593", for example, if it is part of the house number in the address field in contacts, or part of a frequent flyer number that you store on the memopad," quote from OP

What happens if you do a real search like "persons name" or "American Airlines" or "frequent flyer"

i think it would be kind of weird to search for my frequent flyer miles by remembering the last 4 digits vs typing in frequent flyer or american air or similar...just my thoughts. Maybe more advantageous for you.

to demo it out...i decided to search "employee" to get my employee number - if i knew my employee number...i wouldn't have searched for it...
    Last edited by vistate1; 10-05-10 at 09:39 AM. Reason: i tried this
    10-05-10 09:37 AM
    Searching all body content for all items on the device would not be a good idea...

Not to mention you would drastically increase the number of matches that you would not want for almost everything...
    10-05-10 12:56 PM
    I often go through my bill and wonder who I was texting/calling at 4am. I have to press send then end the call just to see who it is in my contact list....
    10-22-10 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD