I bought the blackberry torch for the feature that it has where you can basically use it as a modem to connect a computer to the internet. I've downloaded the v6 software and it says to run the software then plug in my blackberry. After this it says to go to Tools then mobile internet options but when I go to tools ''mobile internet options'' is not there.

Has anyone else tried doing this?

No one can provide internet where I live so this is why I bought this phone.

Anybody tried it yet ??
    09-26-10 02:11 PM
    If you have AT&T, the option to tether using Desktop Manager will not be available unless you pay for the tethering plan.

You will need to use a 3rd party software such as Tether.
    09-26-10 02:13 PM
    Lak is right, call att and see what the tethering plan is vs the cost of the tether software.

Either way it is do able

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-10 02:40 PM
    i Got this fixed and working now .

simply , I am using Mac , Mac is always simple .

Tel. Num. : *99#
    Account Name : wap@cingulargprs.com
    Password :
    APN : wap.cingular
    Vendor : RIM
    Model : BB IP Modem
    09-28-10 09:31 PM
    Just be careful. We do charge extra for tethering and yes carriers can tell the difference. As an example, on my device just doing what I do I pull 20MB to 75MB a day and sometimes over that if I YT or use Pandora. I tested an air card and just by launching Outlook ( exchange server), my browser and a corporate chat client it pulled 55MB in one shot. I was up to 10GB for the work week.

If you get caught tethering without a tethering plan, data is billed per kb (yes kb not KB or MB unless you convert up accrodingly from kb). There have been people get $20k USD data bills because they had either a small or no data plan all together but decided
    after leaving a store to use data services... I suspect this is why data plans are structured they way they are now to minimize damage and make those that use the network, pay for the network.

You at a minimum need a daily / monthly data tracker so you can see how much you are using.

Last edited by shansmi; 09-28-10 at 09:49 PM.
    09-28-10 09:46 PM
    Just be careful. We do charge extra for tethering and yes carriers can tell the difference. As an example, on my device just doing what I do I pull 20MB to 75MB a day and sometimes over that if I YT or use Pandora. I tested an air card and just by launching Outlook ( exchange server), my browser and a corporate chat client it pulled 55MB in one shot. I was up to 10GB for the work week.

If you get caught tethering without a tethering plan, data is billed per kb (yes kb not KB or MB unless you convert up accrodingly from kb). There have been people get $20k USD data bills because they had either a small or no data plan all together but decided
    after leaving a store to use data services... I suspect this is why data plans are structured they way they are now to minimize damage and make those that use the network, pay for the network.

You at a minimum need a daily / monthly data tracker so you can see how much you are using.

I never knew about this

my bill should be high this time thought . I heard about a way to get it for free .

any idea ?
    09-28-10 09:59 PM
    If you have AT&T, the option to tether using Desktop Manager will not be available unless you pay for the tethering plan.

You will need to use a 3rd party software such as Tether.

I have this problem too. My phone is AT&T but it is currently unlocked on the Rogers network.
    Is there a way to override this block so I can tether on Rogers?? I do have a tethering plan.
    09-28-10 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD