It is seeming more to me that developers and companies that require software to use their products (i.e. Slingbox and Sirius for two examples), are shunning the Torch and OS 6, simply not writing the apps to make their products work. My belief is they feel it is not worth the expense to develop the apps with QNX- based Berries due out next year. It makes me feel that the Torch is simply a "holdover" product in their eyes and not worth supporting. I love the phone but I am becoming increasingly frustrated when I want a cool app and find the Torch/ OS6 is not supported. It's been out over 4 months now. What do you think?
    Last edited by garpt; 12-20-10 at 08:09 AM.
    12-20-10 08:06 AM
    I kind of agree with you.

I have noticed some apps that were fully supported in OS5 - are not updated to os6. Granted - i am not a programmer - i am not sure what it takes to make something 6 compatable.

It is possible that companies IE : Siriues ect are waiting for qnx/already are working towards QNX due to the ability to port over quickly.

However, from a business perspective I would also think you would want your product to hit as many people as possible. Considering all current blackberrys (14.2 mill sold) are running os6.
    12-20-10 08:46 AM
    it is a little frustrating when i want an application that isn't supported but its nothing to cry about...
    12-20-10 09:59 AM
    If it was easy..then I don't see why they wouldn't just make a few code changes or whatever is necessary to make it happen for OS6..so obviously it's a little more difficult and perhaps not worth they're time and effort if, as the OP stated, there is newer BB's coming around the corner (with QNX).

I do believe the Torch is a "holdover" product in a sense. Not that there is anything really wrong with it or anything..but obviously if RIM is planning on putting out devices with QNX, then there is no way the Torch will be able to support that kind of software. If these phones start coming out within the next 6 months to a year..then these boards are going to be flooded with people complaining that their "upgrade" doesnt get the latest and greatest software..just as Storm 2 owners (amongst others) felt left in the cold when they didn't get OS6 support.
    12-20-10 10:01 AM
    Apps are seeming like such a joke in my eyes. I had my iphone for years and in the last year of having it, all I used was weathereye.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 10:23 AM
    However, from a business perspective I would also think you would want your product to hit as many people as possible. Considering all current blackberrys (14.2 mill sold) are running os6.
    That is not accurate. While RIM did ship over 14 million devices in Q3, not all are running OS6. To my recollection only the Torch, 9780 and Style are shipping with OS6 - that still leaves a large numbers of Blackberry's being sold on OS5.
    12-20-10 10:40 AM
    OS6 isn't fully supported yet by a lot of os5 apps.

It's just a matter of time to develop and test these new apps. If os6(not just the torch as all os6 devices should run the same app unless it's device specific(touch vs. non touch)) was a hold over for QNX, that leaves every newer berry to date a hold over device as well as any older berry getting os6. Which in turns means app builders or companies that have os5 apps are cutting off their own current business simply to wait for a fables OS that we dont even know is coming to a handheld device.

I think its just a matter of time until you start seeing your popular apps being available for os6.
    Last edited by homer1475; 12-20-10 at 10:48 AM.
    12-20-10 10:45 AM
    the sale of the Torch is so high because most AT&T BB users wanted a factory functional touch screen BB. I had the Storm 9530 until finally TORCH.
    12-20-10 08:19 PM
    To a certain degree, any new device release between now and the QNX os devices are going to be "holdover" products.

But what I think we see here is RIM playing with new hardware designs (slider, full qwerty clamshell) other than the traditional form factor, and their success (or lack of) will help determine what the next-gen product line is going to look like.

A QNX powered OS with TAT designed UI, running on a tweaked and upgraded Torch hardware? Yes please!
    12-20-10 10:04 PM
    you want a BB and want good apps...im sorry but that just doesnt go together. OS 6 or not. Even OS 5 doesnt have many great apps either.

and i would guess that 5% or less of active BBs right now are running OS 6 officially
    12-20-10 10:19 PM
    well....the torch was requested by one of RIM's big clients, so not really a 'holdover' in that sense. I think the app question is just folks being slow, as BB users are not as busy with the 'toy' apps as the fashion platforms. The information/communication apps seem to be updated pretty right along.
    12-20-10 10:37 PM
    Every smartphone is a holdover product...

The lifecycle is stupid short no matter what phone you buy
    howarmat, Rickroller and kraski like this.
    12-20-10 11:13 PM
    ^this.

Albeit it does get frustrating when developers are skimming on apps

12-21-10 05:07 AM

+1... I couldn't agree more with this statement. Every company is competing and must keep producing to show consumers and the media its alive and well. Cell phones come and go very fast today.

12-21-10 05:31 AM

Yup. In fact, every electronic device is a holdover product.
    12-21-10 05:56 AM
    I am really not that upset about the lack of apps as most other "fashion" platforms use them more frequently to compensate for big code gaps and that is probably the case with all smartphones as we want them to do everything. IMO, this is less true of RIM as compared to the competition. I would like to see more apps that help daily life like Delta Airlines app, BerryWeather, and BerryPop Up which are very helpful and useful. Apps that make daily life easier are more important. I also like a little entertainment with apps like Pandora.

12-21-10 06:48 AM
    1) It's easier and actually poifitable to develop for iOS and Android over BlackBerry. iOS/Android device owners are more likely to buy (or download free) apps because they typically have more time on their hands. Also, those devices are more technologically capable (more RAM, faster processor etc).

2) Apple and Google have mobile ad networks and this is a major win for devs b/c it's very simple to use them as they were essentially meant for each other. RIM has no ad network and devs have to either sell ad space themselves or use a 3rd party ad network after choosing from the bunch and getting knowing what each one offers and where they differ.

3) In the States, more consumers are buying iOS/Android devices than BlackBerrys so it makes sense to at least acknowlwdge that trend and compare with your target market. A huge portion of the people/companies/devs that want mobile apps are located here in the US... they are going with the upswing (and already impressive user amount) in those two platforms.

4) A lot of those apps would suck on a non-touch screen device. RIM only has the Torch 9800 (sorry S1 and S2 users) and it doesn't hold a candle to most other "comparable" devices out there. Those apps require more RAM, CPU etc than the Torch/OS 6 can handle.

5) I honestly just forgot my fifth point.
    12-21-10 04:08 PM
    1) It's easier and actually poifitable to develop for iOS and Android over BlackBerry. iOS/Android device owners are more likely to buy (or download free) apps because they typically have more time on their hands. Also, those devices are more technologically capable (more RAM, faster processor etc).

2) Apple and Google have mobile ad networks and this is a major win for devs b/c it's very simple to use them as they were essentially meant for each other. RIM has no ad network and devs have to either sell ad space themselves or use a 3rd party ad network after choosing from the bunch and getting knowing what each one offers and where they differ.

3) In the States, more consumers are buying iOS/Android devices than BlackBerrys so it makes sense to at least acknowlwdge that trend and compare with your target market. A huge portion of the people/companies/devs that want mobile apps are located here in the US... they are going with the upswing (and already impressive user amount) in those two platforms.

4) A lot of those apps would suck on a non-touch screen device. RIM only has the Torch 9800 (sorry S1 and S2 users) and it doesn't hold a candle to most other "comparable" devices out there. Those apps require more RAM, CPU etc than the Torch/OS 6 can handle.

5) I honestly just forgot my fifth point.
    You're 5th point is that the Torch is still a GREAT device. :-)

12-21-10 04:38 PM
    Yup. In fact, every electronic device is a holdover product.
    +1 agreed. As soon as any electronic device is mass produced, it's already outdated...
    12-21-10 04:52 PM
    BB devices have multiple ad frameworks to choose from... RIM doesn't have to provide their own for it to be easy to implement.

Also I'm not really sure what these items have to do with the original topic tbh... In the sense of the original topic IOS or android is just as much of a holdover product, as ios is aimed to be replaced yearly and android hypothetically even more often than that.
    SevereDeceit and diegonei like this.
    12-21-10 04:55 PM
    The Torch has been out for about 4 months and it's probable that these new devices won't be out for a least 2 months. So that's the 6 month life span of a device now days, as far as bigger better goes. To the point of you having to feed the need. 2 year contracts have us itching for the day that they are up, to give our next hit. The carriers are have us strung out for wanting and waiting. So yes at this point in the Phone Wars almost every device is a hold over.

The Carriers have Pimped us out, you gotta owe something to Hoe something. Pimp's give you just enough to keep you wanting more. Try to get out and your bound to get Pimp-slapped with the balance due for breaking the contract.
    12-21-10 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD