I'm interested in getting a 9800, but I'm kind of in a pickle. I'm very new to Blackberry, although I've been perching on the 9800 for a few months now, so I've done a fair share of reading to try and understand the whole Blackberry experience (I'm an extremely disgruntled/dissatisfied iPhone 3G user of 2 years from Canada).

I understand that there are things such as "service books" and BB-specific, server-side considerations to this phone compared to any regular smartphone. So my question is this: does anyone have one of these working in Hong Kong?

I read through the sticky-ed unlock thread (and searched the forums to see if anyone already answered this) and it seems that while most people are able to get their 9800s up and running without a problem on their networks, some carriers (such as TMobile) will not have 3G access for an unlocked 9800. I hope I won't encounter the same problem in Hong Kong. I can't wait for an international release date (this iPhone has been long overdue for a smashing; and HK just got the white 9700), so I'm seriously considering ordering one from the States. I really hope that OS6 won't be an issue (in terms of compliance with HK carrier service books/HK BIS; or I might just have no idea what I'm even talking about, haha), since 9700 is the most recent phone here.

Advice/thoughts?
    Last edited by daytrips; 08-25-10 at 12:53 PM.
    08-25-10 12:48 PM
    TMobile US uses different 3G frequencies than AT&T. The Torch with its current specs is compatible with HK's 2G & 3G networks. Note: Torch is running OS6, so if HK's providers are not pushing service books for this OS yet, some features may not be fully functioning until they get up to speed.

HK's GSM/UMTS frequencies :
    Mobile networks - GSM and 3G coverage

Torch's specs:
    BlackBerry - Torch 9800 Specs. BlackBerry Torch specs about the new smartphone.
    08-25-10 03:12 PM
    Excuse this newbie question, but I'm still slightly confused about service books. Mainly, I cannot differentiate between what is provided by my carrier, and what is provided by BIS. Are service books carrier-specific? How are they related to the OS? And finally, can you give me an example of what features might not work without OS6 service books?

I read a post here regarding a few 9800 handsets from HK making purchases from the app store, so I'm under the impression that at least SOME 9800s have been bopping around here.
    08-25-10 11:11 PM
    I have Toch working perfectly in Singapore and China. Hong Kong it should work.
    08-26-10 12:39 AM
    Singapore and China Telcos dont yet have BB OS6 capability. However Torch works perfectly - mailing, BBM, OS 6 website surfing, social feeds, facebook, twitter.. I don't yet find what don't yet.
    08-26-10 12:42 AM
    Singapore and China Telcos dont yet have BB OS6 capability. However Torch works perfectly - mailing, BBM, OS 6 website surfing, social feeds, facebook, twitter.. I don't yet find what don't yet.
    Thanks! That's good to hear, hopefully this will hold true over here in HK. Seems like there isn't much info for (prospective) HK BB users. My main concern was over the service books because I don't know if they're carrier-specific or not, and if much of OS6 is dependent on those carrier-specific service books. If anyone can shed some light for this newbie, I'd really appreciat it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 01:45 AM
    hi i leave in china, i bought the torch in HK from chunking mansion and works perfectly but one question do any of you know a way to open blocked pages in china from the phone? is there any kind of VPN or skydur for BB? it sucks that you cant really enjoy all thoes amazing apps cuz of china law...
    08-26-10 03:23 AM
    I don't mean to revive a dead thread, but just in case anyone's wondering or will be looking for this information like I was, I got a 9800 and it works perfectly fine on Smartone-Vodafone in Hong Kong!

Thanks everyone who replied. Don't know if I just got lucky, but I'm not experiencing any of the problems people seem to be complaining about; I love my new Torch!
    09-02-10 08:00 AM
    Where did you get your Torch in HK? How is the price compares to AT&T's no commitment pricing of USD $499 + tax? Are Torch bought from non carrier outlet in HK branded or non-branded. ie. does splash screen have Blackberry logo or carrier logo?

SIM locked or unlocked? 3G frequnecy compatible AT&T 850/1900/2100 or T-mobile 900/1700/2100?

Will be in HK shortly. Considering buying the Torch if the price is right.

Thanks,

David
    09-14-10 10:40 AM
    One last question,

Chinese character input: - hand writing or keyboard only?

Many Thanks,

Dave
    09-14-10 10:41 AM
    i wanna know this too..
    09-14-10 11:46 PM
    The latest leaked ROM .225 has Chinese display and input..keyboard input only. I just downloaded and installed. Work well.

09-15-10 03:08 AM
    The latest leaked ROM .225 has Chinese display and input..keyboard input only. I just downloaded and installed. Work well.

i'm a newbie to BB....how can I find a leaked version?
    09-15-10 03:45 AM
    You can find it in this forum under this topic.

09-15-10 03:55 AM
    You can find it in this forum under Torch 9800 topic.

09-15-10 03:55 AM
    hey just wanna ask where can i buy 9800torch in hk? i'm planning to buy this weekend... anyone?! and do you know the price?

thanks!
    10-14-10 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD