IMO, you should not have to do any tweaking to the case if it is the correct one for your device. You should have to relocate the magnet. I am glad though that you found a case you like. I really like my OEM leather swivel holster.
    Last edited by jcp007; 09-03-10 at 09:01 AM.
    09-03-10 08:53 AM
    No problem. Looking at the holster I'm pretty sure it the siedo holster rebranded for bestbuy.

I went to BB last night and bought this. It fits the Torch like a glove with the screen facing in but a little loose screen facing out. The best part was it was on clearance so I only paid $24.99 plus tax. It's $34.99 on the BB website so I'm glad I went to the store.

Thanks for posting this!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-10 08:59 AM
    I'm guessing you mean shouldn't? I would agree except that none will meet our need to accommodate the otterbox so modifying a holster that does work is a simple solution. Each to his own.

IMO, you should have to do any tweaking to the case if it is the correct one for your device. You should have to relocate the magnet. I am glad though that you found a case you like. I really like my OEM leather swivel holster.
    09-03-10 09:01 AM
    It dawned on me that it might be best to avoid both OEM cases for other devices, even if they "fit," and the Otterbox to boot.

Why? Wobble. Or creating or exascerbating wobble.

The device I received in an exchange two weeks ago had a slider that was truly solid as a rock. After about a week, it developed a slight wobble.

What changed? I got and started using the Storm OEM leather pocket.

The OEM pockets have always had a very snug fit at first, and eventually break in. I'm wondering if the pressure of pushing and pulling a slider device into and out of a tight leather pocket designed for a device of the same size but that has a unibody/candy bar construction has affected the slider.

Similarly, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that people who have the Otterbox are going to develop (or already have) the most horrible wobble of all, at least with the case removed. Somebody in one of the Otterbox threads even mentioned as much. I don't think the slider mechanism is designed to withstand the kind of pressure and snugness inherent in snapping on an Otterbox.

Cases should fit snugly, but not too snugly or tightly, and with a light touch. Else: wobble. IMHO, that is.
    09-03-10 09:45 AM
    Just FYI, the snap on top part of the otterbox case has zero contact with the underside of the phone and therefore can't effect the slider mechanism at all. The fact is sliders get loose, nature of the beast, my pre and MDA and mytouch slide all have some movement in them.

It dawned on me that it might be best to avoid both OEM cases for other devices, even if they "fit," and the Otterbox to boot.

The device I received in an exchange two weeks ago had a slider that was truly solid as a rock. After about a week, it developed a slight wobble.

The OEM pockets have always had a very snug fit at first, and eventually break in. I'm wondering if the pressure of pushing and pulling a slider device into and out of a tight leather pocket designed for a device of the same size but that has a unibody/candy bar construction has affected the slider.

Similarly, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that people who have the Otterbox are going to develop (or already have) the most horrible wobble of all, at least with the case removed. Somebody in one of the Otterbox threads even mentioned as much. I don't think the slider mechanism is designed to withstand the kind of pressure and snugness inherent in snapping on an Otterbox.

Cases should fit snugly, but not too snugly or tightly, and with a light touch. Else: wobble. IMHO, that is.
    09-03-10 09:49 AM
    Just FYI, the snap on top part of the otterbox case has zero contact with the underside of the phone and therefore can't effect the slider mechanism at all. The fact is sliders get loose, nature of the beast, my pre and MDA and mytouch slide all have some movement in them.

But it exerts pressure on the slider itself, which is the part that wobbles, or can wobble, and that pressure will possibly affect the slider's seating. No doubt there is some natural deterioration over time in the seating of the slider (at least theoretically in this case b/c none of us have had the Torch for a lengthy period of time), but it can't help to be applying pressure to the slider portion or the underside portion, even independently.

Can you take off your Otterbox easily enough right now and tell me your slider has no wobble?
    09-03-10 10:04 AM
    No it doesn't. If you look at it you'll see there is clearance all the way around. It doesn't touch any part of the slider mechanism and has zero contact with the body of the phone. The only two points of contact are at the top and bottom of the screen bezel. It has no effect on the slider at all. I'll try to get some close ups for you to see.

But it exerts pressure on the slider itself, which is the part that wobbles, or can wobble, and that pressure will possibly affect the slider's seating. No doubt there is some natural deterioration over time in the seating of the slider (at least theoretically in this case b/c none of us have had the Torch for a lengthy period of time), but it can't help to be applying pressure to the slider portion or the underside portion, even independently.

Can you take off your Otterbox easily enough right now and tell me your slider has no wobble?
    09-03-10 10:19 AM
    Does anyone have any feedback on Bodyguardz? Because I don't like too much bulk, and want to use the OEM swivel holster, I wanted to combine these. Any thoughts?
    09-03-10 10:34 AM
    No it doesn't. If you look at it you'll see there is clearance all the way around. It doesn't touch any part of the slider mechanism and has zero contact with the body of the phone. The only two points of contact are at the top and bottom of the screen bezel. It has no effect on the slider at all. I'll try to get some close ups for you to see.

That would be nice, although I've seen one on a colleague's phone. Interestingly, he had to exchange his Torch because it was "freezing up" (his term -- I never saw his device when it did that). He got a second Torch at the AT&T store, they snapped on the Otterbox, and the same thing happened. I don't know how a case can cause a device to "freeze up" but perhaps he was talking about pressure on the lock button, I don't know.

In any event, I was considering one precisely to eliminate the very slight wobble I have now, and ward off any increase in wobbling, but this post talking about Otterbox-induced wobble scared me off. I'd be interested in your comments on it.
    09-03-10 10:37 AM
    There is a tiny area at the very top of the Bezel where there is contact between the top and bottom case, thats it. It won't cause "wobble", or what I like to call wear and tear of a slider mechanism.
    09-03-10 10:37 AM

Uh Oh!
    "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."
    09-03-10 11:23 AM
    I guess I got lucky I bought a seidio holster for my 9530 when I had it, and when I got the torch I just happened to find it lol. And guess what it fits!!!so I have been using it. Kinda glad I didn't sell it like I started to.

09-03-10 05:12 PM
    browse ebay for ideas
    09-03-10 08:53 PM
    Uh Oh!
    "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."
    I wouldn't worry because your using the Storm -- whoops, I mean Tour -- *cough*leatherette*cough* HOLSTER with your Torch, not the Storm or Tour pocket. The pocket cases fit more snugly than the holsters -- they have to because they have no strap across the top like the holsters.
    09-03-10 10:37 PM
    Amzer Luxe Argyle High Gloss TPU Soft Gel Skin Case - Clear For Blackberry, BlackBerry 9800 - CASES - Fommy.com

This looks like it is made of the same material as the EPIK case for my Tour, a soft acrylic material that is like a silicone case but doesn't attract dust when it is in your pocket. It says it comes in 2 pieces, so it must be slider friendly. I think I'm going to take a chance and order it before I get my Torch on the 24th. Hopefully the fit is nice and tight even with the slider movement.
    09-04-10 10:59 AM
    I still say the best cases are the BB OEM, made for the specific device you have. You shouldn't use another model case and expect perfect results. The BB OEM holster is out (and very nice) and the pocket case will be released very soon and made with real leather.
    09-04-10 02:37 PM
    I purchased a Zagg screen protector earlier in the week and today I received this email... They're offering a couple of codes good for 25% off at zagg.com. These codes can only be used once, so first come first served. Hope a fellow CrackBerry user will be able to use them:

We are happy to offer you a pair of 25% off one-time-use discount codes to share with two very special people in your life. Anyone will love receiving a ZAGG.com discount code, from friends to family to coworkers and all the people in between (you could even keep them for yourself or share them on Facebook and Twitter - we promise not to tell).

These discount codes expire in 7 days, so notify your friends today!

zdsb7wdf
    zds67wa9

This is a limited time offer so please check out ZAGG.com before it expires on September 11th, 2010 at Midnight MDT (GMT -0600).
    09-04-10 10:46 PM
    There is a tiny area at the very top of the Bezel where there is contact between the top and bottom case, thats it. It won't cause "wobble", or what I like to call wear and tear of a slider mechanism.
    Missed your pics, thanks. Oddly enough, the colleague down the hall who claimed the Otterbox caused both his original Torch and his exchanged Torch to freeze up just gave his Otterbox to me. (I had given him the OEM Storm leatherette holster earlier -- a deal I'll make any day!)

I'm going to try rocking it for a while and see how it goes. It does eliminate the slight wobble I already had. I just hope it won't make this little wobble worse if/when I take it off. The thing is pretty damn slippery, though.
    09-07-10 07:37 AM
    Missed your pics, thanks. Oddly enough, the colleague down the hall who claimed the Otterbox caused both his original Torch and his exchanged Torch to freeze up just gave his Otterbox to me. (I had given him the OEM Storm leatherette holster earlier -- a deal I'll make any day!)

I'm going to try rocking it for a while and see how it goes. It does eliminate the slight wobble I already had. I just hope it won't make this little wobble worse if/when I take it off. The thing is pretty damn slippery, though.
    I don't like the way the Otterbox is slippery either. Too bad they didn't use product like what's on the battery cover.
    09-07-10 08:52 AM
    I too love the Otterbox but it did seem to become more slippery with time. Try Egrips Egrips Non-Slip Strips - Consumer & Promotional Products for Mobile Phones - Silicone Grip Material | Information

2nd device I've used them on. They last for ~ a year and prevent slippage on just about any surface, including a dusty angled dashboard. Your phone will stay in your hand much easier. Not sure if they can be ordered yet specifically for the Torch, but it's a LOT cheaper to buy a large sheet and cut what you need. That way you have plenty for other devices.

Back to the original topic: Anyone know yet which holsters will work with the Otterbox?

edit: I see a couple other threads related to the OB and holsters, but so far the only solution seems to be the 9700 holster with a magnet relocation.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 09-07-10 at 01:05 PM.
    09-07-10 01:01 PM
    Check this out: Blackberry Leather Pocket Pouch for Torch 9800 (Black) $11.99. If you recall, this is the same place that had the Torch on "preorder" back in June or something. Anybody know if this place is on the up and up, as they used to say? A fifty-plus percent discount before an OEM accessory has even been released seems too good to be true . . . .

Here are the full array of colors:

Just an update. The pockets are out, but that site says they still haven't gotten them. Rim & Fommy have them for $29.95, CB has them for $22.95 & Amazon has them in stock for $17.95.
    09-20-10 09:28 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD