We got two new torches that are replacing 5 year old Nokia flip phones. The BB are pretty nice except that they pretty much don't work where I live. I show 3 bars of GSM, sometimes 1 of Edge, and it recieves calls and text and emails, but when you make a call, you cannot carry on a conversation. The sound is garbled and broken up, like a poor signal. Im a little disappointed that NEW technology performs worse than 5 year old technology mostly but wanted to check if this is a correctable issue or if I need to trade these in on something more robust, or just another brand. The software is up to date on these phones.

Ideas?
    Last edited by agdodge4x4; 11-21-10 at 10:35 AM.
    11-20-10 09:51 PM
    What network, where in that network and what OS is the phone running?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 10:12 PM
    This is rare. Only a couple of posts similar to this. Don't know what to tell you other than get them looked at. If you are on the same network as you were with your Nokias, there shouldn't be an issue. Where are you?
    The odds are slim you got 2 with the same hardware defect.
    Not bragging but in my area I always have 3G full bars, even when in my recroom (basement)

Also, I dont like titles that seemingly infer all devices are bad. Should say MY Torch has awful reception.

Good luck
    11-20-10 10:16 PM
    My solution for you is to change the SIM card but sounds to me you don't like the Blackberry platform at all. If that's the case you should get a different phone that is more functional for your needs.
    11-20-10 10:25 PM
    Sounds more like a network / signal issue and not a phone issue.
    My 9800 also gets full 3G even in the records vault at work (steel and concrete)
    and when I do make calls from there they are crystal clear.

And I agree with pmccartney about the thread title.
    11-20-10 10:29 PM
    Sounds more like a network / signal issue and not a phone issue.
    My 9800 also gets full 3G even in the records vault at work (steel and concrete)
    and when I do make calls from there they are crystal clear.

And I agree with pmccartney about the thread title.
    his previous units didn't have this problem. that rules out the network.

11-20-10 10:33 PM
    but a 5 yr old nokia phone is most likely not 3g.
    11-20-10 10:45 PM
    Call your carrier. it's either a local tower issue that needs to be looked into or reported. Or it's just a bad area....

If it happens on the replacement device they give you then it's definitely the network it's on.
    11-20-10 10:51 PM
    I find the Torch to have great reception. I've had 2 and I haven't had problems talking on the phone with either.

11-21-10 12:33 AM
    but a 5 yr old nokia phone is most likely not 3g.
    This is what I was pretty much thinking of... in late 2005, you were seeing some 3G phones from Nokia but even from 2006/07 it wasn't always standard.

if you were to turn off 3G? how's your signal and call quality? I'm assuming you're still on the same network?
    11-21-10 12:44 AM
    The previous phone was a 3G phone, but at my home, I don't get 3G service.

On the BB, its GSM if Im lucky. Its 3bars, but the call quality is terrible. AT&T is 'repairing' the problem, but as of yet, they haven't been able to repair anything. Going to call again.

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my black berry...Im just now nto able to justify having it..no work email, no decent service at home...thats what sucks.
    11-21-10 10:07 AM
    ^ you're having a network issue.. and not a phone issue.
    i have my Torch since Aug 12 and it has better reception and call quality compared to my iphone 3GS.
    i never get any EDGE at home or at my workplace... always with 3G.
    11-21-10 10:36 AM
    I called tech support, they did 'stuff'. WE switched the phones to 2G, adn they got 2 bars, and they verified the call was unacceptable.

You know what they suggested?

"you may need to get a different phone."

Between AT&T service and the Blackberry being all but antiquated in regards to my work email, it looks like my best bet is to first try a Droid or Iphone and if that fails, change carriers altogether.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    11-21-10 11:35 AM
    Or go with Nokia. The N8 is nice. I mean stick with the devil you know.
    I can't imagine an iphone 4 beating any Blackberry in terms of Signal strength.

11-21-10 12:37 PM
    I would, but that phone is not offered, at least not in my area. I hope I dont have to go back to a flip phone. Ive been told that the focus on smartphones is the computer aspect and not the antenna as it would be on a dumbphone.
    11-21-10 01:26 PM
    I've had awesome reception with my Torch
    11-21-10 01:55 PM
    my Torch has lackluster reception, but not awful.
    11-21-10 02:01 PM
    I have AT&T and average 3 bars on EDGE.... sometimes higher but usually lower... But, I am in a known bad reception zone. Anywhere other than home (or at work if the hanger doors are closed) and I'll have full EDGE bars or 3G.
    11-21-10 02:45 PM
    I would, but that phone is not offered, at least not in my area. I hope I dont have to go back to a flip phone. Ive been told that the focus on smartphones is the computer aspect and not the antenna as it would be on a dumbphone.
    are you experiencing signal problems outside your home/work as well?
    if NOT.. i will request AT&T a micro cell for FREE..
    it will boost your home/work signal up to 5 bars..
    and they will give it to you for free since you were able to demostrate based on your previous contact with CS that the problem exists.
    jcp007 likes this.
    11-21-10 04:02 PM
    I haven't had any problems with signal, in fact, recently I was backstage for a play, and while everybody else, whether they had iPhone 4 or dumbphone ended up having to pretty much go outside every time they wanted to reasonably call or text, whereas I had 3-4 bars of reception, so clearly it's not the fault of the general hardware. Are you using a case? If you refuse to admit that it might be your carrier's fault then that's the only thing I can think of, but odds are that your old phone was on a different network then the Torch is, and the 3G/2G network isn't very good in your area
    11-21-10 06:57 PM
    hey Picard, bet you wish your Torch could give you the range of your com-badge eh??
    :-)

11-21-10 09:12 PM
    Yeah I too find that a bit odd. I've used iphones, berries, and nokias. I've never seen an iphone out do a berry. and my torch gets great reception. the one phone i've seen do a hair better than my 9700 and torch is the nokia e72 (which i love).
    11-22-10 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD