It was probably easier to make their existing keyboard thinner than to make a whole new (landscape) keyboard. Also, I find that the buttons are too far apart on a landscape keyboard, and I have to stretch and sacrifice some speed. I generally just use the SureType virtual for bigger buttons, but I guess some people aren't open-minded enough to try that...
    12-25-10 05:18 PM
    Personal preference def plays a part in it. But technically having it in a landscape mode provides more advantages.
    I'm sorry. I just don't see how this is true. I think either way it simply comes down to personal preference.
    12-26-10 02:43 AM
    I'm sorry. I just don't see how this is true. I think either way it simply comes down to personal preference.
    I agree. I think portrait sliders are the best and offer the most advantage. One hand usage.
    12-26-10 02:19 PM
    Horizontal sliders are just awkward in different ways, imo. There's not as much back to hold onto to be able to balance it, farther for fingers to travel and nearly impossible to one-hand it...

I thought the Torch was nicely balanced.
    12-26-10 02:57 PM
    I came from a Curve 8900 and I kinda like that keyboard better than the Torch's, but it is still a pretty good keyboard. Now what I really like is the SureType touch keyboard in portrait mode
    12-26-10 04:53 PM
    I came from a Curve 8900 and I kinda like that keyboard better than the Torch's, but it is still a pretty good keyboard. Now what I really like is the SureType touch keyboard in portrait mode
    I totally agree, the portrait SureType keyboard is extremely convenient for quick one handed texts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 07:32 PM
    The keyboard is perfect.

nearly perfect.
    i would buy it again..if i have to get a new smartphone tomorrow.
    i don't want an LG ally.. or another samsung slide out keyboard..
    12-26-10 08:48 PM
    i HATE those horizontal keyboards like the Droid/Droid2 have!!! I think RIM did good by having the keyboard on the Torch the way they have it. I have zero issues with typing on it. The keyboard on the 9800 reminds me of the 9700....i love it(BUT, not as much as the actual 9700 or better yet the 9000 keyboard)
    12-26-10 09:26 PM
    I just switched from the 9700 and am having some regrets, but the 9800 keyboard is a big improvement from the pointy, angled keys on the 9700.
    12-27-10 12:29 AM
    I actually still prfer the keyboard on the 9650. I think the Torch keyboard is quite flat. But I understand why that had to be because of the slider mechanism.

12-27-10 04:21 AM
    Moved from my 9780 to a white 9800 and the keyboard is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The balance seems good as well and I don't feel that the phone is about to tip over.
    12-27-10 04:28 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD