The keyboard should of slide out of the side and not the bottom of the phone. It makes trying to type difficult and the weight of screen makes typing wobbly as well. Also, if the keyboard would of slid out of the side...the keys could have been larger and held more keys.
    Last edited by shism2; 12-24-10 at 12:18 PM.
    12-23-10 09:00 PM
    I haven't noticed to much of a balance issue, but that could be because of the big mitts I have. The one thing thst I don't like about the keyboard is that the keys don't depress as much as I'm use to from my 8900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-10 09:04 PM
    I feel your pain, almost exchanged mine for a 9700 but decided to keep it a little longer..well see maybe 9780.

12-23-10 09:30 PM
    i prefer the slide out keyboard, that way i can type with just one hand for those instances where i cannot use two hands. I do wish it had as great as my 9000, but I've gotten use to it and enjoy this phone very much.
    12-23-10 09:39 PM
    Don't mind the weight the only thing I dislike about the keyboard is the somewhat creeking noise when typing on the keyboard sometimes
    r2eyes likes this.
    12-23-10 09:41 PM
    I do not see a problem. Started with a Curve 8310, then Bold 9000 (awesome keyboard), and currentley on a Torch. Just takes getting used to. I have no problem typing on my Torch. It took some adjustment after the Bold 9000 but now I don't even notice the difference.
    12-23-10 09:41 PM
    The keyboard should of slide out of the side and not the bottom of the phone. It makes trying to type difficult and the weight of screen makes typing wobbly as well. Also, if the keyboard would of slid out of the side...the keys could have been larger and held more keys. REALLY BAD design move.
    YES!!! I think RIM should offer a similar device in both flavors - landscape or portrait - 'cos obviously it's different strokes for different folks. I don't think it's necessarily a BAD design, but I would definitely love this phone even more with a sideways slider.

12-23-10 09:48 PM
    I love the torch but I have to agree. In the short time I have had the torch, I surf the web side ways but if I haver to type I have to turn up right and slide out the keyboard. Don't like the size of the keyboard but it beats type on the touch screen
    12-23-10 10:27 PM
    I like it, when i don't feel like sliding I close it, tilt, then use the touch screen. I hate when i'm too fast with the touch screen though and it doesn't respond to my space commands
    12-23-10 10:42 PM
    I find that the phone has wonderful balance with the kb in portrait mode. The weight and size, for me, are proportioned well so it's not wobbly when I try to type. No need to change orientation for that reason.

I understand for changing it around for more room for bigger keys or spacing or just a change up because people have different tastes though.
    12-23-10 10:45 PM
    I tried both at the store a few days back, didn't like the Torch, nor its keyboard; coming from the iPhone world, the Touch screen of the Torch is no where as precise, and the physical keyboard was a nice idea, but no where near as sturdy and easy to type on like the 9780.
    12-24-10 01:44 AM
    Don't like, don't buy. Simple and easy concept.
    12-24-10 03:01 AM
    Landscape keyboard? No thanks. I'd prefer if this phone didn't even have an accelerometer.

12-24-10 03:03 AM
    Did you not see and try the device out before purchase??

I even held the dummy unit and pretended to type on it to see how it felt in the hand.

Personally I think the physical keyboard is good, use 2 thumbs to type while rest of fingers round the back on the bottom to hold it.

Granted, keyboard not quite as good as the 9700 but you can't have everything eh?

S.
    12-24-10 06:27 AM
    I went from non-bb fllip phone texting to the storm, then storm 2. It was huge adjustment from t9 to touch. It took awhile to get proficient on landscape, then portrait. Now, unlike most of you it seems, I have to ket used to this keyboard. It is coming along. I know I could be faster(on touchscreen) but just trying to use delliberate practice so I can use everythiung the Torch has to offer. I love this phone!

12-24-10 06:44 AM
    I like it, when i don't feel like sliding I close it, tilt, then use the touch screen. I hate when i'm too fast with the touch screen though and it doesn't respond to my space commands
    how do i get the virtual keyboard to stop doing the auto-complete thing???
    12-24-10 09:50 AM
    options>typing and input>typing then under the virtual keyboard select "direct" as the style.
    12-24-10 10:48 AM
    I was extremely tempted to switch over to AT&T to get the Torch, but I just couldn�t get past the flat keyboard. I�d sacrifice a little more weight/size to get a top notch keyboard, as this is a place RIM shouldn�t compromise.
    12-24-10 12:16 PM
    I don't have trouble with the weight of the phone either,but it causes stability issues when typing becuase the weight of the screen is dangling from the top of the slide out keyboard. With a phone that has a non slide out screen, there aren't any balance issues becuase the weight is attached to the keyboard.Having the keyboard in a landscape position is definitely way better.It distrubutes the weight of the screen across the phone better ,increasing typing stability. Also, of course with some practice you can become proficient with the way it is now. However, with a landscape mode screen you can become proficient much quicker and have many more advantages(bigger keyboard and keys).
    Last edited by shism2; 12-24-10 at 01:05 PM.
    12-24-10 12:16 PM
    To me, the balance of the screen and the keyboard is perfect. The only thing I don't like about the keyboard, as someone already noted, is how it lacks depth compared to the Bold keyboards (9780, 9700, or 9650).

But I LOVE the form factor! I had the Pre, loved the form factor and the OS, but the hardware just fell apart. (The OS support wasn't really there either.) But then I saw the Torch a couple years later, and said YES! Finally a portrait slider.

I guess it's just personal preferences.
    12-24-10 05:41 PM
    The keyboard is perfect.

12-25-10 02:28 AM
    To me, the balance of the screen and the keyboard is perfect. The only thing I don't like about the keyboard, as someone already noted, is how it lacks depth compared to the Bold keyboards (9780, 9700, or 9650).

But I LOVE the form factor! I had the Pre, loved the form factor and the OS, but the hardware just fell apart. (The OS support wasn't really there either.) But then I saw the Torch a couple years later, and said YES! Finally a portrait slider.

I guess it's just personal preferences.
    Personal preference def plays a part in it. But technically having it in a landscape mode provides more advantages.
    12-25-10 10:52 AM
    I like the slide out keyboard but, not a big fan of the virtual keyboard. I constantly hit the wrong keys while trying to type on it. Maybe I should recalibrate?
    12-25-10 11:14 AM
    I don't like using horizontal keyboards, and when I had one, I avoided sliding it out at all times. The vertical slider form factor was my dream phone and while the Torch isn't perfect, it works great for me.

12-25-10 01:02 PM
    Coming off of an 8350i, I found the keyboard awkward at first. Smaller keys and the concavity made typing quite difficult for me! I found it was much better after I turned on audio feedback. The little beep was all I needed to feel confident again. I'm just about up to speed again.

12-25-10 02:19 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD