Comes in at number 11.
    Research In Motion needed to get back some ground from Apple's iPhone and Google's Android, which have stolen a lot of its thunder. The Torch arrived. It was just another sorta crappy BlackBerry.
    Personally, I believe the majority of the list is flawed.

Click the link to see the full list/slideshow.
    The 15 Biggest Flops In Tech For 2010
    12-01-10 10:41 AM
    Personally, I believe the majority of the list is flawed.

+1

10chars
    12-01-10 10:45 AM
    The Torch is still selling, and is doing very well in Canada,

I agree the Pre was a failure,
    The Nexus One was not a failure, the Supply Chain was a failure, the phone itself was pretty good for a first phone.

Stating that no Windows 7 tablets hit the market in 2010 is not a failure,
    That is just CEO mumbo jumbo, if you want to talk about Stupid company's talk about HP letting go of their AMAZING CEO, this year over $20,000 in expenses..
    12-01-10 11:23 AM
    ...if you want to talk about Stupid company's talk about HP letting go of their AMAZING CEO, this year over $20,000 in expenses..
    Are you talking about Mark Hurd? All the articles I read in the Wall Street Journal suggested that it was the sexual assault allegation.
    12-01-10 11:29 AM
    This list isn't very forgiving time wise. For example: Four Square is a really neat idea, and great for local and small business (among other things) and is just starting to gain popularity in my circle of friends/area. I'm not a Twitter user, but that daily deal idea is also great. Many people use sites that offer AMAZING deals for one day or one hour only, and Twitter was smart to try and jump on that bandwagon, they were stupid it cut it after "a few months". Things don't happen over night, even in technology. You have to give things time to grow and be accepted.
    12-01-10 11:34 AM
    I think the makers of the list miss the point behind the Nexus One. I don't think Google ever intended to stay in the phone business but to build buzz over the Android OS. From that perspective, I think the Nexus One was a success.

The social network flops just show how impossible it is to predict what will or will not succeed in that arena. Those companies that can throw as many ideas as possible into the marketplace will be the ones that make it work because the success rate will probably be very low.

As far as the Torch, I guess it depends on what the expectations were. I find it to be a solid device, but nothing ground-breaking. For me, that's perfectly acceptable.
    12-01-10 11:57 AM
    Considering the hype behind the Torch and the huge joint press conference with AT&T with RIM claiming that this is the best Blackberry ever, I'm not sure how this phone can be considered anything but a flop. Outdated specs, quality control is questionable (at best), and the promise of this new (game changing) OS (OS6) that simply failed to deliver. The Torch was and is, without question, a flop.
    DX9, howarmat and CanisMinor like this.
    12-01-10 12:08 PM
    I wonder what number Storm2 was on last year's list.
    12-01-10 12:17 PM
    Kind of hard to argue against their point. The Torch had a pretty big build up to release and has been pretty much a dud sales-wise. It was, IMO, arrogance on RIM's part for them to think they could put out a device with inadequate hardware, a flaky OS, and substandard QC and think it would sell like hot cakes.

RIM was a trend setter when they put out the Bold 9000. Hopefully they have discovered a bit of humility and will now begin pushing to innovate again.
    12-01-10 12:50 PM
    Considering the hype behind the Torch and the huge joint press conference with AT&T with RIM claiming that this is the best Blackberry ever, I'm not sure how this phone can be considered anything but a flop. Outdated specs, quality control is questionable (at best), and the promise of this new (game changing) OS (OS6) that simply failed to deliver. The Torch was and is, without question, a flop.
    It is, without question (in my opinion), the best BlackBerry ever.

I see you are still going strong with the trolling. Still no life I guess. Good luck.
    12-01-10 12:52 PM
    No. What is, was and always will be a flop is you and your constant trolling.
    If you are this dissatisfied do yourself and all of us a favor and just go away.

Oh wait, I have an ignore list. There I never have to read anything this
    pitiful moron types from here on out
    12-01-10 12:56 PM
    As I have said before, I am just a newbie...BUT, I do not consider my Torch to be a flop. It does everything I thought it would and so much more! I haven't had any of the issues that so many blast it for.

Just a newbie's .02. LOL
    12-01-10 01:26 PM
    TROLL ALERT!! I had the Curve, 9000, 9700 and now the 9800. The Torch does everything and more...I only have one issue and that's the lag but pretty sure it'll be sorted out, so no...I am definitely not in favour of saying that the Torch is a flop..
    12-01-10 02:02 PM
    The Torch is not a failure...did you notice that its initial sales were just here in the USA. My Torch is a solid phone and I believe it will continue on a solid pace. Its kind of like betting on the turtle or the hare. Give me long line of solid growth over a mad dash any day.

Yes there was and still is hype on the Torch. It is still selling well and will continue to sell well. At least I think RIMM is on the right track with the Torch, the Playbook and QNX on phones in the future(?). Solid company with solid phones with a solid future.
    12-01-10 02:03 PM
    The torch a flop, REALLY I can not tell. As I have more than enough people buying them from me in the Blackberry Store in Atlanta GA. Not to mention I have had many of my customers leave their Iphones and Android devices for this so called flop.
    Lyls likes this.
    12-01-10 02:07 PM
    RIM was a trend setter when they put out the Bold 9000. Hopefully they have discovered a bit of humility and will now begin pushing to innovate again.
    While I am normally quick to defend my beloved BlackBerry brand, I will agree in this case. I bought a Torch because I was sucked in by the media hype of it, and was sorely disappointed in what I spent retail price on... and a month later am still having trouble falling in love with my phone; something that has never happened before.

The reason for all of this blind faith was because BlackBerry was such a trendsetter with the Bold 9000. That was an innovative phone that, in my opinion, could still be a competitive contender in today's market, had it been originally outfitted with a trackpad & OS6. Because of its quality, preceded by other solid phones going as far back as the 8700, I trusted RIM when they said that this was their best work yet. Between the Torch and this new trend of "refresh" phones (I don't quite get this concept; they used to simply build better phones, not ones that look the same but have updated cameras/memory to keep up with the current market phones...it's lazy and makes me feel like they ran out of ideas and are simply try to pump out quantity, not quality)

I will always love BlackBerry, and will always have one, but my confidence in RIM is shaken. I dare say I may downgrade to a 9780/whatever older OS6 models they still have available in 2 years when I'm eligible for upgrade again.
    12-01-10 02:13 PM
    They didn't try very hard on this article...

Basically sounds like one guy tried to list 15 things real quick and didn't really explain why most of them were even flops (and some of them are too new to even call a flop)...
    12-01-10 02:17 PM
    Haha, this is the best BlackBerry to date, so it can hardly be called a flop - especially when you compare it to the Storm or Storm2!!!

At last RIM has a phone that can compare to an iPhone.
    12-01-10 02:30 PM
    Haha, this is the best BlackBerry to date, so it can hardly be called a flop - especially when you compare it to the Storm or Storm2!!!

At last RIM has a phone that can compare to an iPhone.
    +1 amen to that!
    enb123 likes this.
    12-01-10 02:32 PM
    They didn't try very hard on this article...

Basically sounds like one guy tried to list 15 things real quick ...
    hahaha so true!!!
    12-01-10 02:41 PM
    IMO, the biggest failure of the Torch was tying it to ATT only here in the US. Also, BB users are on different upgrade timelines. The iPhone only releasing once a year matches up nicely with their contracts and pushes mass sales when a new one releases, but most are due for an upgrade at that time. As BB users come into their upgrades, I think it will steadily drive the sales numbers, but there's not going to be a lot of people rushing out to pay full retail. I've got a bunch of VZW users itching for the Torch, and I'll be buying one as soon as they come to T-Mo...
    12-01-10 02:50 PM
    The Torch is the best BB yet... but there's no denying it lacks in technical terms compared to its competitors. The problem is, most fans of the torch (myself included) don't really care. It does what it does, and does it somewhat well. Although the quality control REALLY did not help them. If every 9800 was as solid as a 9000 when it was put in your hand, it would have fared better. Especially with first-time berriers.
    12-01-10 02:52 PM
    No. What is, was and always will be a flop is you and your constant trolling.
    If you are this dissatisfied do yourself and all of us a favor and just go away.

Oh wait, I have an ignore list. There I never have to read anything this
    pitiful moron types from here on out
    Dude, you are a loser. I am trolling because your device sucks? I know that you claim to be the CB Methusalah (Clown?), but what happened to bash the product, but not each other? What have I said that wasn't true? I can't help that you don't like to hear it. Argue about what I said and stop trying to deflect. Go ahead and suspend me or ban me or whatever. You internet tough guys are all alike.
    12-01-10 02:52 PM
    I love my Torch, but it's true that it did not live up to the hype against it's competitors. Of course it's going to be the best phone RIM has released being that it's the newest.

I think RIM's failure to sustain it's market share is evidence of it's flagship device not living up to expectation.
    12-01-10 02:58 PM
    "just another sorta crappy Blackberry" reads like he doesn't think much of ANY blackberry. The problem is that non-blackberry consumers were expecting RIM to totally break out of their style and release some kind of iphone/Android monster. The Torch has to be evaluated in the context of blackberrys. RIM should be applauded for retaining the essence of their traditional style while adding some extras that allow the Torch to compete with modern cell phones. People just don't get it.
    Southbayreds likes this.
    12-01-10 03:22 PM
133 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD