Got a Torch a few weeks ago and generally I like it after all the software upgrades from the original .141 to .246, but I'm still dropping WAY more calls than I did on my 8100 Pearl and the sound quality and sidetone is noticiably worse too.

I live in Hawaii and my carrier is AT&T. I took some flack for carrying an 8100 Pearl for about 2 years as my business phone (apparently not enough horsepower for some) but i loved the call quality compared to the new Torch.

I'm a little happier with .246 than i was with .141 as to call quality, dropped calls and sidetone, but it still is grossly inferior to my Pearl. Not sure if it's the 3G network, operating software that's still not fully developed or something else entirely.

I've read all the threads on Torch dropped calls and sound quality, but I wondered if there were some new theories out there as to why it's so much worse then the Pearl and how I can improve things... Any ideas????
    Last edited by bjm007; 09-29-10 at 06:28 AM.
    09-29-10 06:25 AM
    I've had no dropped calls, no sidetone and the sound quality is even better than my 9000. It's definitely not a general issue that affects all Torches.
    09-29-10 07:08 AM
    It's all relative... The sound quality is ok compared to most other phones currently on the market, but my beef with the Torch is that it's not nearly as loud and clear as my Pearl 8100, and it also drops many more calls than the Pearl as well.

Compared to my friends with iphones, it's about the same, but I was spoiled by the Pearl.

I notice that the number of 3G bars varies quite a bit in different places, often going to 0-2 bars. I assume that's normal right? When i had EDGE with the 8100, I seemed to have consistently more bars, all the time.

0-2 3G bars < 4-5 EDGE bars = Dropped Calls ?
    Last edited by bjm007; 09-29-10 at 01:44 PM.
    09-29-10 01:29 PM
    I was a little leery joining ATT, but so far I'm extremely happy with the reliability. The only calls that have dropped have occurred while talking to my wife on her iPhone
    09-29-10 01:34 PM
    How old is your sim card? Seriously, I was having bigtime problems a few months back, and a friend who's one of the engineers at AT&T suggested I get a new sim card. That eliminated my problems. I was having calls dropped and static-type noise with calls.

I was just in Hawaii (Oahu and the big island) and had no problems anywhere I went with my torch.
    09-29-10 01:46 PM
    How old is your sim card? Seriously, I was having bigtime problems a few months back, and a friend who's one of the engineers at AT&T suggested I get a new sim card. That eliminated my problems. I was having calls dropped and static-type noise with calls.

I was just in Hawaii (Oahu and the big island) and had no problems anywhere I went with my torch.
    That's a good idea... I'll get a new SIM card just to see. It's a new phone with a new card, but they migrate some old data on to the card from your old phone and maybe something got corrupted in there.

Good idea...
    09-29-10 01:50 PM
    I am using the same 3G SIM from my 9700 and running OS.141. No dropped calls.
    09-29-10 06:22 PM
    I'm using the same SIM as i had in my 2G Curve 8310 and don't have dropped calls, except when in a dead zone in town. Call quality has been better than it was on my Curve. Speakerphone is perhaps not quite as loud. I'm running the .225 os.
    09-29-10 06:32 PM
    New SIM card. Connectivity is better, but still drop more than my old Pearl. I can live with it.

Is 3G inherently more apt to drop calls than EDGE, or does it even matter?
    10-04-10 10:58 PM
    no it is not.
    10-04-10 11:07 PM
    Yeah i know someone else mentioned it, but replacing your SIM card will most likely solve this, I had an old SIM that i kept switching phone to phone, then wen i got to a 3G phone i had a big problem with reception, so i called and when i got a new SIM it was insane the difference it made.

Also dropped calls is definately not a genaral issue(also previously mentioned) as RIM is known for its supperior reception over almost all other brands, so it may be your carrier, or just your device?

I suggest looking into your SIM card, then seeing if it is your device.
    10-04-10 11:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD