So whenever I'm on a call (many times in a full 3G coverage area), my torch will drop the 3G signal and go to just GPRS...not even EDGE. I'm running .225 and have wifi turned on....thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 09:42 AM
    i think this happens to me to .. sometimes when i open the notepad while im on a call.. i notice that it says GPRS and not 3G ...

but it does not effect my calls .. or the qaulity of the calls in any way
    09-20-10 09:55 AM
    Anyone?

09-21-10 09:29 PM
    having a similar problem on 337. I then hung up on the person, it went back to 3G. Then i didnt touch my phone while on the call when I called back and it stayed on 3G. Must be something I'm doing while on the call that's making it go to grps.

Any thoughts anyone?
    11-18-10 10:32 AM
    Its the phone not holding onto the 3G reception. Same thing happens here in Toronto. Its annoying when I'm on the phone and having a BBM conversation, and all of a sudden i'm on GPRS and cant chat anymore
    11-18-10 10:35 AM
    I'm also in Toronto and I have noticed the same thing mainly in certain areas of the city, the Eaton Center being the worst. I called Rogers a couple of times and always get the same answer, "having issues in the downtown core". Even worse every now and again my call drops off with the dreaded "call failed" message.

I'll bet in truth the system is overloaded and Rogers is slow to upgrade. I don't believe this is a torch problem but a 3G problem. That said my girlfriend has less problems with her 9700 staying on 3G
    11-18-10 11:06 AM
    Happens to me lots too, I wonder if its the sim card?

11-18-10 11:45 AM
    Just spoke to a friend who has both the Iphone 4 and Iphone 3Gs and he said his phones constantly drop down to GPRS. So its gotta be a network thing not a blackberry thing

11-18-10 11:48 AM
    Anyone not on AT&T can set their phone to 3G only to help prevent this.

I've had it happen in the country. What sucks is that the phone will automatically drop down to edge or gprs, but won't cycle back up while you're on the phone.

11-18-10 04:38 PM
    Anyone not on AT&T can set their phone to 3G only to help prevent this.

I've had it happen in the country. What sucks is that the phone will automatically drop down to edge or gprs, but won't cycle back up while you're on the phone.

if you set your phone to 3G only then if you go to an area not covered in 3G but it still covered in EDGE you will lose all connections so I don't know if thats too good of an idea.
    I have noticed 337 does have a little bit of a connection glitch opposed to 287 so if you are having this issue i would say try the previous os not 337. Good luck
    11-18-10 05:00 PM
    In our experience with many Blackberrys reception issues are usually
    on the networks side.

Blackberrys have some of the best antennas in the market.

Sometimes OS updates do improve reception quite a bit though,

But in general Blackberrys still hold reception very well on AT&T compared to other brands that get a lot of dropped calls.

At least be thankfull we don't have iphone 4's reception issues!
    11-18-10 11:10 PM
    but yes, look forward to the next os update it may fix your problem
    11-18-10 11:11 PM
    if you set your phone to 3G only then if you go to an area not covered in 3G but it still covered in EDGE you will lose all connections so I don't know if thats too good of an idea.
    I have noticed 337 does have a little bit of a connection glitch opposed to 287 so if you are having this issue i would say try the previous os not 337. Good luck
    It depends on how well the network is built in your area. For the posters in the Toronto area, they can most definitely go with 3G only. I'm from the Toronto area and have no problems until I leave the GTA.
    11-19-10 01:18 AM
    Same issue with my torch on vodafone.

Best way to bypass that problem is to swith to 3G only... No GPRS switching and BIS dropping anymore.
    12-01-10 10:25 AM
    3G with 9700 on Telus basically never lost reception.

3G with 9800 on Rogers I tend to lose reception a bit more, phone drops to grps on phone calls a lot more, and I get a few dropped calls (mostly downtown since I work there).

Not sure what to make of this right now. Starting to hate Rogers even though I already hated Telus, and Fido, and everyone else that takes my money lol
    12-01-10 11:49 AM
    Of course the phone will drop down to GPRS a lot more with Rogers. Telus doesn't have a GPRS/EDGE network.

The Torch chooses whichever signal it's receiving srongest, so in the case of Rogers if the phone thinks you'll get a better connection with GPRS/EDGE, it'll drop down to GPRS/EDGE. Since Telus only has 3G as an option, the phone will boost it's signal as much as possible to maintain the connection, but may suffer reduced battery life and more dropped calls as a result.

If you set the phone to 3G only with Rogers in Toronto, you will maintain your connection on 3G and it won't ever drop down to GPRS/EDGE.
    12-02-10 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD