Ok, so here's what I don't get. We have 3 multi-billion dollar companies and their subsidiaries involved with this launch. All three of them confirmed in one way or another that this device was being launched today and after a week and a half of rumors and speculation that there was going to be a delay -- Low and behold, the release date is delayed. I can turn a blind eye to the fact that clearly the Carriers knew they weren't releasing on time over a week ago, but thought it would be a good idea to string us along until today. I can try my hardest to ignore the fact that Telus has remained completely silent (side from a few direct twitter replies) and just let their confirmed release date come and go with no product. But what I can't stand is that there hasn't been any formal release from any of the Carriers or RIM as to why they've missed this highly anticipated launch. This is a big deal for the mobile industry in Canada. Here in Toronto, we have some major media outlets like the Globe and Mail and Toronto Star reporting on the delay, but nowhere do they mention a reason. In my industry and most others I'm sure, you commit to a completion date for a project. If you don't meet those dates, then there's some explaining to do! We don't just supply a new date!
    I don't get how there's been no pushing from any media or blog (like CB) for an official statement. Maybe they just don't care as much as I do, but I'll tell you what, I'd have a lot more respect for any company who just comes out and say's - "here's what's going on, we're working to resolve it, and that's that". Am I wrong??
    09-24-10 09:35 PM
    Ditto. Thanks for putting this out there Mikey. Its been a dark and bummer of a day after all the waiting. What a let down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-10 09:50 PM
    The phone was officially unveiled in Canada on Monday. So what if it is delayed by one week? The average consumer probably doesn't even know about the phone yet, so essentially, there was no target for the carriers to meet.

The only people affected by the "delay" are the people who are jonesing for the phone. Technically, we were never supposed to know about the phone's existence until this week. Think about it.
    09-24-10 09:53 PM
    I'd like to think in the coming days we'll hear something. Hopefully offical rather than rumors or leaked info.
    09-24-10 09:55 PM
    Steve, I don't agree at all. Rogers and Bell have had this device with a posted release date on their websites for weeks. If that's not a target, I don't know what is. I agree that there's not a huge population of people waiting for this but the fact of the matter is they published a release date and they've missed it. My point of view is there should be some kind of explanation, not just a new date.
    09-24-10 09:59 PM
    So bummed sirk.. hopefully we're go to go next week!
    09-24-10 10:00 PM
    I'd like to think in the coming days we'll hear something. Hopefully offical rather than rumors or leaked info.
    I hope so!
    09-24-10 10:06 PM
    In my opinion missing a target date is bad for business. I was looking directly at an ip4 today despite being hard to find.

Someone could have easily said screw it..I'm not waiting and bought it. Many people would but I have something in mind that I'm not swaying

from.
    09-24-10 10:11 PM
    RIM requested all 3 hold back the date so they could generate some more inventory. They don't want it to be like the iphone where they get another 7 every day. The stores don't have/shouldn't have any inventory because its all still in the companies HQ warehouses. I am assuming it is the same across the board when I say this although I only know its true for Rogers. I will hopefully not be tossing another phone at the wall next thursday night because its delayed again :P. (100% joking about that, IMHO its only a phone. I can live another 7 days without a Blackberry Torch... *Jumps out the window*)
    09-24-10 10:26 PM
    Well, I am flying out to Toronto on Wednesday for a mini holiday. (baseball and football game, go RIDERs) and leaving on Saturday. So I will have to find one down there maybe. (staying downtown near Eaton center I think) Although, that would mean I would have to pay extra tax. So I will just wait til I come back home. But I will be going to go check it out and play with one at a store, I'm Sure I can find a place down there that has them. Lol. Cheers

09-24-10 10:47 PM
    Well, I am flying out to Toronto on Wednesday for a mini holiday. (baseball and football game, go RIDERs) and leaving on Saturday. So I will have to find one down there maybe. (staying downtown near Eaton center I think) Although, that would mean I would have to pay extra tax. So I will just wait til I come back home. But I will be going to go check it out and play with one at a store, I'm Sure I can find a place down there that has them. Lol. Cheers

I wish. I live in toronto. We got nothing just like everyone else. Rogers hasn't shipped them to their stores yet. They said the shipment should come monday around 3 pm though. So if your lucky you might get to see a box lol.
    09-25-10 12:47 AM
    What I have heard was inventory issues and software issues. As far as I'm concerned I don't blame the carriers or RIM. **** happens and life goes on. You could have your Torch now and be dealing with issues like AT&T customers or you can have patience and laugh at them because our Torch launced with nothing but perfection.

09-25-10 01:59 AM
    I guess one thing out of this whole fiasco has been a little more media "buzz" surrounding it. The only time i've heard the media mention the phone was when it was officially launched in the States..and now yesterday. Heard some radio spots, as well as TV news blurbs about the delay. This might make it known to a few more of the general public who don't pay attention to tech sites and say "Hmm..Blackberry is releasing a new phone? I might have to check it out"

Not that I'm really like "Yes!..more media attention for RIM..WHOOHOO!!" and running around high fiving people like it's the Gold Medal Hockey game or something, but I also don't want to see them fail (because I do like their phones)
    09-25-10 08:23 AM

Enjoy the holiday sirk! You'll have at least 5 places to check it out in and around Eaton center.
    09-25-10 08:47 AM
    What I have heard was inventory issues and software issues. As far as I'm concerned I don't blame the carriers or RIM. **** happens and life goes on. You could have your Torch now and be dealing with issues like AT&T customers or you can have patience and laugh at them because our Torch launced with nothing but perfection.

I feared the the point I was trying to make in my OP would get lost, and it seems it has. This was not a "I'm suicidal cause I don't have my Torch" tread. You're absolutely right, **** happens and life does go on. I'm bummed, but it's not the end of the world and we'll have it soon enough. All I'm saying, we're clients/customers we've been given a date to expect a product and that date has come and gone. In any other industry, missed targets would be accompanied with explanations. Not just a new date.
    09-25-10 08:55 AM
    The phone was officially unveiled in Canada on Monday. So what if it is delayed by one week? The average consumer probably doesn't even know about the phone yet, so essentially, there was no target for the carriers to meet.

The only people affected by the "delay" are the people who are jonesing for the phone. Technically, we were never supposed to know about the phone's existence until this week. Think about it.
    Sorry, but this is completely wrong, AT&T and RIM had an event Aug 3 announcing the device, that same day Rogers, Bell, Telus, and Virgin came forward to say we're gonna have it too. Sept 1 Rogers posted an article on their Redboard announcing that the release date would be Sept 24, Bell, Telus and Virgin also said we're gonna aim for that date too. Rogers then posted a Torch page on their website where the date was posted for all to see, and you could sign up for updates if you wanted. I believe Bell did this as well. It was in the comments area of the Redboard posting that Rogers kept denying a delay, even after Bell had changed their date to Oct 1 a week prior. It wasn't until Sept 23 that they admitted they would not be launching on the 24, and the new date would be Sept 30 without explanation. It had nothing to do with the Canadian launch parties at all, it had been unveiled to the public well before that.
    09-25-10 09:16 AM
    There's no investor-positive way to announce a delay. To announce that the initial OS release on AT&T was too buggy, and that they found a couple other serious bugs that they should fix prior to the release of the device in another market (and there are other markets besides Canada on deck in the next few days) so they may have just wanted to make sure that all the devices that will be shipping in the next few days will have a couple of serious / important fixes in.

I wouldn't expect them to say that publicly, and frankly any "minor" statement as to the delay would just be marketing spin (as opposed to "the OS is a TERRIBLE MESS so we patched it hastily" they would say "we encountered minor incompatibilities in very rare situations that we felt would be best to patch proactively" blah blah blah. Can you tell I work in marketing?)

The point I'm making as a direct response to the OP is that the reason why there isn't an official statement for the delay is that there is very rarely EVER a "positive" reason for a delay, that will make customers and investors go "I wanted them to hold off for another week, myself....", so to anyone who wants to speculate on the worst-possible-scenario, go ahead, but in the end, there's a delay, and unless there's a statement from RIM that could make you think "Oh.. that's all... whew! I'll buy it, then.", just assume that's what they said, because that's what they would say.

p.s. I don't mean to say that I believe the OS *is* a terrible mess hastily patched, etc. I'm just saying that when a company slips a launch date, there's a damn good reason, weighed against NOT slipping the date... and maybe they don't want to state it publicly. MAYBE it's part of the agreement with UAE and India regarding the encryption? God, who wants them opening up THAT can of doody. I worked at a software company where we found a DATA DESTROYING BUG in a file management process after the production CD run was pressed, the boxes packed, ready to go to retailers... they wrestled with the idea of putting a bright red "WARNING: DOWNLOAD PATCH" sticker on the jewel cases, but in the end, they scrapped all the CDs, fixed the bug, redid the disc duplication, repacked the boxes and shipped 2 weeks later. That was when software on store shelves in retailers was the bulk of software sales, and this was just before Christmas... and getting product to retailers in a timely manner is a huge issue... but they couldn't just go with this toxic software in the end... being the person who found the bug made me very popular :-|
    Last edited by lorax1284; 09-25-10 at 03:09 PM.
    09-25-10 02:58 PM
    I sure hope all of you are not disappointed when you finally get your Torch. I used an unlocked AT&T Torch till last Thursday, and it's a nice BB, but but but. Surfing is not what we've come to expect with the iPhone and Android. There is a maddening checker board effect every time you load a page. This is obviously because the phone's processor is too slow. The display is way behind the gorgeous new displays we're now seeing on Androids, and of course the iPhone 4. I like the Torch. I may get another one, but I don't love it. RIM should have done better for this one. The heartbreaker for me is that RIM could have done better, and they didn't.

Again, I hope you're not disappointed. Don't get me wrong. It's a solid Blackberry, it just isn't a new world Blackberry.
    09-25-10 03:49 PM
    I sure hope all of you are not disappointed when you finally get your Torch. I used an unlocked AT&T Torch till last Thursday, and it's a nice BB, but but but. Surfing is not what we've come to expect with the iPhone and Android. There is a maddening checker board effect every time you load a page. This is obviously because the phone's processor is too slow. The display is way behind the gorgeous new displays we're now seeing on Androids, and of course the iPhone 4. I like the Torch. I may get another one, but I don't love it. RIM should have done better for this one. The heartbreaker for me is that RIM could have done better, and they didn't.

Again, I hope you're not disappointed. Don't get me wrong. It's a solid Blackberry, it just isn't a new world Blackberry.
    I totally agree.. RIM needs to step it up. The desire is probably the best phone right now for web browsing. Has flash 10.1! I upgraded mine to 2.2 and have wifi hotspot and HD video. I
    09-25-10 03:55 PM
    I totally agree.. RIM needs to step it up. The desire is probably the best phone right now for web browsing. Has flash 10.1! I upgraded mine to 2.2 and have wifi hotspot and HD video. I
    Actually the best phone for browsing now is the Samsung Galaxy S with 2.2. The Desire is good, the Galaxy is better, and so is the display and screen size. WiFi HotSpot is the biggest bonus of this mobile year. Why doesn't the Torch have it? Why isn't the Torch the knockout phone of 2010? It could have been. All the stuff is there at RIM. They have the resources to do whatever they want.
    09-25-10 04:05 PM
    There will never be a good enough reason as to why it was delayed, Typical of a big company not giving a rats *** about the consumer needs or wants. If they want to delay it (which they did) they'll delay it, they can do whatever they want. Just be happy it wasnt delayed a month. They all know we "consumers" are still gonna buy it anyways, so it is what it is so just deal with it. Each and everyone us will have one by friday!! then we all can be at peace!! lol
    09-25-10 04:23 PM
    Look at the iPhone. It was launched in Canada at the end of July. Try to find one at a carrier store. I was at a major Apple Store yesterday, and they don't have any. How ridiculous is that? The only place I know of where you are sure of getting an iPhone 4 today is at the Pacific Mall and not at a carrier store. I bought one there yesterday. No carrier had one, the Apple Store didn't have them.
    09-25-10 04:28 PM
    Look at the iPhone. It was launched in Canada at the end of July. Try to find one at a carrier store. I was at a major Apple Store yesterday, and they don't have any. How ridiculous is that? The only place I know of where you are sure of getting an iPhone 4 today is at the Pacific Mall and not at a carrier store. I bought one there yesterday. No carrier had one, the Apple Store didn't have them.
    Who gives a sh*t about the iphone?!?!?!?! nobody cares especially ppl on crackberry. iphone can suck it!!! lol
    09-25-10 04:37 PM
    Oh I'm so very sorry. My mistake.

What a j*rk.

Last edited by rje; 09-25-10 at 05:04 PM.
    09-25-10 04:58 PM
    I was at a major Apple Store yesterday, and they don't have any. How ridiculous is that?
    Funny you should mention that - I was at Market Mall the other day and noticed this long lineup infront of the Apple store. I thought "did I miss the launch of something? What could they even be releasing?".

No, nothing new - everyone was just waiting for a shipment of iPhone 4s to arrive
    09-25-10 07:54 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD