I don't have my torch yet, but I've started seeing people's data usage going up substantially compared to their previous berries.

I use about 50-100mb of my 500mb plan, as I'm connected to wifi at work/home. But I would consider myself a heavy user.

I'm trying to figure this out because rogers has a SWEET $30 6gig plan that I want to take advantage of. But I won't have a change to monitor my torch usage before the plan expires (since it got delayed in canada)

So any input appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-10 12:43 AM
    i use about 50-100 mb too and i'm on rogers. i'm not too worried, but i guess i'll have to see once i get my torch
    09-26-10 12:48 AM
    I'm on a Torch on AT&T's network. Halfway through my billing month and I've used 48MB. I'm using data far more than I did on my previous BB cuz I now have 3G and a good browser. I have a 2GB plan with AT&T and don't see me ever going over that.
    09-26-10 12:51 AM
    Are you using a lot of feeds?

09-26-10 01:36 AM
    I have the old AT&T unlimited data plan. I went from roughly 600-700mb/mo on my 9700 to over 1.1gig first month with my Torch. I am downloading more radio podcasts mostly. I find it much easier to use data on the Torch vs the Bold 9700. So if you are close to your limit on an older BB you might want to increase it if you can.

09-26-10 05:44 AM
    Ya I'm nowhere close to my limit. Maybe 100mb of my 500mb limit.

09-26-10 12:49 PM
    I have used 160 mb this month with about a week left in the cycle. This is much more than I used on my Bold, but I have been listening to Pandora which I didn't do nearly as much before.

With AT&T, they used to count WIFI usage the same as usage on their network. I am not sure if they are still doing this. I have an unlimited plan so it doesn't really matter to me.
    09-26-10 12:55 PM
    I don't have a Torch, but I know I used Wi-Fi much more last month. The 1GB is the lowest data usage I've had since I got my device.

09-26-10 01:06 PM
    I have had my Torch since September 6th. I use 100% WiFi while at home, and when I'm at school I use it about half the time.

So far, I've used about 145 MBs. My next bill is due on the 8th. I'm on AT&T's 2gig plan. I doubt with my usage of WiFi I could ever use even 1 gig.

Data usage is up with the Torch, simply because people are using the browser more, that's my guess anyway.

09-26-10 02:16 PM
    I went from 45-60 MB/month with my 8900 to 500 MB with my 9800. 10X more data.

09-26-10 06:07 PM
    If you do tons of streaming audio/media, podcast feeds, etc., you'll use a LOT of data. But I doubt you'll ever see 6 GB.

I don't do any of that stuff and am on wifi a lot. My usage is around 50 MB per month atm.
    09-26-10 08:13 PM
    I've used 1958mb Out of 2048mb. Good thing it resets tomorrow

09-26-10 08:21 PM
    I went from 45-60 MB/month with my 8900 to 500 MB with my 9800. 10X more data.

I'm with you, but I don't understand why. I haven't changed habits from my 9700, and I use Wi-Fi while at home..
    10-06-10 09:42 AM
    My billing date is the 12th. So far I've used 3409.8787 MB this billing period . strickly due to streaming Sirius/xm most of the day while at work.This was up until last Thursday when I picked up the Torch. Unfortunately there is no Sirius/xm app yet for the Torch so my data usage will dip quite a bit.. Good thing I added the Bell 6GB data plan...lol
    Last edited by kccman; 10-06-10 at 10:58 AM.
    10-06-10 10:40 AM
    My usage before the Torch (8900 on EDGE) was around 50-70MB a month. With the Torch I'm already at 230MB with another 3 weeks to go...
    But, I used FlyCast streaming radio while in the car (Around 3 hours worth) and have been browsing a lot while off of wifi.

I definitely need to start monitoring my usage now so I don't go over my 500MB. It's easy to go over with 3G and a capable phone.
    10-06-10 11:22 AM
    I have what may be a stupid question. does a WIFI account once connected cancel out the normal AT&T network? question being, if a wifi is being used does the phone automatically use that instead of AT&T's network so you won't get charged data usage?
    10-06-10 11:56 AM
    I don't think it does. Aslong as your connected to your wireless network it will still go through them.
    10-06-10 12:27 PM
    This is from AT&T.com

Question:
    Does Wi-Fi usage count against my monthly data usage?
    Answer:
    Most smartphones that AT&T offers have Wi-Fi already built-in. You can use Wi-Fi in your home, office, and public locations, with faster speeds and won't count against your monthly usage total. In addition, you have access to more than 20,000 AT&T Wi-FI hotspots, at no additional charge. As the nation's Wi-Fi leader, we provide Wi-Fi connectivity at home, at the airport, in retail stores, restaurants, hotels, stadiums, and universities.
    10-06-10 05:26 PM
    I have what may be a stupid question. does a WIFI account once connected cancel out the normal AT&T network? question being, if a wifi is being used does the phone automatically use that instead of AT&T's network so you won't get charged data usage?
    yes it does
    10-06-10 05:46 PM
    yes it does
    This is from AT&T.com

Question:
    Answer:
    Most smartphones that AT&T offers have Wi-Fi already built-in. You can use Wi-Fi in your home, office, and public locations, with faster speeds and won't count against your monthly usage total. In addition, you have access to more than 20,000 AT&T Wi-FI hotspots, at no additional charge. As the nation's Wi-Fi leader, we provide Wi-Fi connectivity at home, at the airport, in retail stores, restaurants, hotels, stadiums, and universities.
    ok, just got 2 different answers. the above quote shows it coming from AT&T's website but jstarett says yes (which I'm not sure why since a post was made right before his saying no?). can anyone else chime in?
    10-07-10 07:54 AM
    If your running wifi and its connected properly, you will run data off the wifi. I have a telus torch but I am sure its the same concept.

10-07-10 07:57 AM
    If your running wifi and its connected properly, you will run data off the wifi. I have a telus torch but I am sure its the same concept.

awesome. thanks.
    10-07-10 08:52 AM
    Make sure your wifi is connected though. If it looks greyed out and not more white then it is not connected properly.

10-07-10 08:54 AM
    This is from AT&T.com

Question:
    Answer:
    The keyword here is 'most'. They should specify.

If you do tons of streaming audio/media, podcast feeds, etc., you'll use a LOT of data. But I doubt you'll ever see 6 GB.

I don't do any of that stuff and am on wifi a lot. My usage is around 50 MB per month atm.
    So streaming audio/media, podcast feeds, or any other means of pushing data to your phone via the internet counts as data? How about just visiting websites, and downloading apps, does that count towards data usage too?
    I don't do a lot of that stuff either. I only have a 200MB/month plan. I just installed the facebook app, and I don want to set up some feeds (2-3).
    10-07-10 09:50 AM
    Thank god I'm in India. Unlimited data for $11/month.
    Never worry about data usage.
    10-07-10 09:53 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD