Well I'm bummed. I just purchased an external battery from NewTrent anticipating my vacation over the holidays and possible inability to charge the device if/when it goes dead. I was hoping I could use the battery as a backup in case I wear the Torch's battery down. Their website claims it works with Iphones, Ipads, Ipod touches, several other phones/devices, as well as (and they gave a list of) blackberries. Granted they didn't list the torch, but I made the assumption (yeah it bit me) that the Torch would work.
    So my question is: why is the Torch's charging circuit so much different than the Bold (which it claims to support)? It states Output Voltage: 5V, 1A. I find it hard to believe that the torch pulls more than that to charge. Anybody have any better suggestions for external batteries? That I can overnight so I have it by the time I leave?
    12-09-10 03:54 PM
    Remember the Bold also includes the 9000.

The charger for the 9000, 9700 and 9800 should work for these devices.
    12-09-10 04:28 PM
    The Torch actually uses less than that. The stock wall charger puts out 5V, 750 mA.
    12-09-10 05:33 PM
    Well I'm bummed. I just purchased an external battery from NewTrent anticipating my vacation over the holidays and possible inability to charge the device if/when it goes dead. I was hoping I could use the battery as a backup in case I wear the Torch's battery down. Their website claims it works with Iphones, Ipads, Ipod touches, several other phones/devices, as well as (and they gave a list of) blackberries. Granted they didn't list the torch, but I made the assumption (yeah it bit me) that the Torch would work.
    So my question is: why is the Torch's charging circuit so much different than the Bold (which it claims to support)? It states Output Voltage: 5V, 1A. I find it hard to believe that the torch pulls more than that to charge. Anybody have any better suggestions for external batteries? That I can overnight so I have it by the time I leave?
    You bought an external battery from a website that says it works with iPhone/pod/pad? Check out a charging pod for your exact battery, I purchased one plus second battery - worth every penny.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-10 07:54 PM
    C
    Remember the Bold also includes the 9000.

The charger for the 9000, 9700 and 9800 should work for these devices.
    Dont forget that 900 and 83x0 were miniusb while 97x0 and 9800 are microusb

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-10 11:21 PM
    I even used a Nokia MicroUSB charger with 1A rating and charge it without a problem. The positive thing is that it will charge faster but on the down size, fast charge aren't good for your battery as its hotter.

For me, I always correct my BB to my PC thru USB, its slower but I am ok with it.

- Charles
    12-09-10 11:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD