I assume since I can't find it, there's no way to turn the feature OFF? I find it highly annoying to make noises when there's really no shutter action. I searched and couldn't find anything on the topic.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-19-10 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Mother of all typos :)
    09-16-10 01:15 PM
    It's a safety feature built in to most phones so you can't take pictures without people knowing.
    09-16-10 02:28 PM
    I think old blackberries had an app that gave the option to disable the sound. Which is kinda ridiculous. Paying for an option that should come with the phone

09-16-10 03:32 PM
    I used CameraMuteApp on the Bold 9700 which worked fine.
    09-16-10 03:43 PM
    just tried that. It's not muting my torch. There's an option in the menu that says "mute!" but whether it says mute or unmute, it makes the noise anyway
    09-16-10 04:44 PM
    I think they are required by law to make the camera make a sound with no option to disable it, because of all the pervs running around. At least I read that somewhere... I expect a 3rd party app that will do it in time.
    09-16-10 06:05 PM
    just tried that. It's not muting my torch. There's an option in the menu that says "mute!" but whether it says mute or unmute, it makes the noise anyway
    Battery Pulle?
    09-19-10 07:57 AM
    I think they are required by law to make the camera make a sound with no option to disable it, because of all the pervs running around. At least I read that somewhere... I expect a 3rd party app that will do it in time.
    This is correct.

All digital cameras (at least in the US) are required by law to make a shutter sound when taking a photo.
    09-19-10 08:10 AM
    This is correct.

All digital cameras (at least in the US) are required by law to make a shutter sound when taking a photo.
    That doesn't seem to particularly make much sense to me. My old iPhone didn't have a shutter noise, neither do my friends' smart phones (Droid Incredible, Droid X) which have significantly better cameras than the torch I should add.

Also, I'm a little annoyed that the artificial shutter noise the torch makes is much louder than my old film slr's.
    09-19-10 02:39 PM
    Legalities aside, there is currently NO APP to mute the shutter sound on the 9800.
    None of the apps that work with other devices work on OS 6.
    09-19-10 03:36 PM
    That doesn't seem to particularly make much sense to me. My old iPhone didn't have a shutter noise, neither do my friends' smart phones (Droid Incredible, Droid X) which have significantly better cameras than the torch I should add.

Also, I'm a little annoyed that the artificial shutter noise the torch makes is much louder than my old film slr's.
    Not sure what planet you're living on. The D X and D Incred both have better VIDEO Cameras than the 9800, but as far as still photos, in no way shape or form are they better than the 9800's, much less significantly better than the 9800. Not only do I point to all reviews, but I'll stack up 9800 photos against either any day of the week.
    09-19-10 03:44 PM
    Not sure what planet you're living on. The D X and D Incred both have better VIDEO Cameras than the 9800, but as far as still photos, in no way shape or form are they better than the 9800's, much less significantly better than the 9800. Not only do I point to all reviews, but I'll stack up 9800 photos against either any day of the week.
    Agreed. I've been trying to explain this to people and they think I'm crazy. I just have not been blown away with the camera on Droid phones in general. I don't care how high the MP is, it doesn't mean it's going to take great pictures.
    09-20-10 09:38 AM
    Agreed. I've been trying to explain this to people and they think I'm crazy. I just have not been blown away with the camera on Droid phones in general. I don't care how high the MP is, it doesn't mean it's going to take great pictures.
    Agreed. The 9800 takes damn good pics. Wish they were as good as the i4 though. It has the best camera of any smartphone on the market period. Check the comparison vs Droid X---> Still Image Capture, iPhone 4 v. DROID X (Updated) � Boy Genius Report
    09-20-10 10:28 AM
    For the amount of MP that my torch has it takes pretty good pictures. It may not be able to do HD quality like the iphone/droid but still it takes very good shots for a non-photographer like me. The video is a disgrace like CX I believe said in a past post the video's look great while on the phone but if you post them or send them to somebody the video is really not that good. Maybe a future OS upgrade will fix this, not sure but I can hope.

Bottom line though is when I go out bar hopping/clubbing I no longer take my camera with me and just use my phone!
    09-20-10 11:16 AM
    the flash is pretty awesome on the Torch too...i'm amazed at my low (or no) lighting shots.
    10-01-10 02:14 PM
    This is correct.

That is COMPLETELY WRONG. Not only is there no source to cite for the above claim, but there are thousands of digital cameras of all sizes that either don't make any sound or have the ability to turn it off.

I'm sure an updated QuickLaunch or another app will take care of this.

10-01-10 03:26 PM
    That is COMPLETELY WRONG. Not only is there no source to cite for the above claim, but there are thousands of digital cameras of all sizes that either don't make any sound or have the ability to turn it off.

There was a Bill introduced in early 2009 called the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act which aimed to require all phones with a digital camera to make a shutter sound when taking a photo. I believe the bill stalled and nothing ever came of it. I believe they have laws in Korea and Japan regulating, but not sure if there is any concrete law in the US requiring, though it seems like most camera phones I have owned all making a shutter sound.
    10-01-10 05:56 PM
    Have anybody plugged the headset then play a song while taking a picture ? Because when i done it on my 8120, and no one can hear the shutter noise but me Simply the best : no need app =))
    I would like to take a picture anywhere, like when i go to a concert, i don't wanna interupt anyone so i turn the noise off. Or even when i aim a butterfly, how could i take a pic if shutter noise scares it away.
    10-04-10 08:11 PM
    I use to use berryannoying on my 9000. I hope they get a version for the 9800

10-06-10 08:16 AM
    Have anybody plugged the headset then play a song while taking a picture ? Because when i done it on my 8120, and no one can hear the shutter noise but me Simply the best : no need app =))
    doesn't work on the torch.

right now the alternative is to be in a call while snapping a pic it's what i used to do before discovering berryannoying. if you see something hi-larious that you must take a pic discreetly, just dial voicemail and snap away...lol

although this option fails if you're in an area with no network coverage xD
    10-20-10 08:43 PM
    I really hope someone comes out with an app for the Torch soon!

10-21-10 02:25 AM
    anybodys torch while taking indoors has this yellowish color on their pics?
    10-27-10 04:05 AM
    There was a Bill introduced in early 2009 called the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act which aimed to require all phones with a digital camera to make a shutter sound when taking a photo. I believe the bill stalled and nothing ever came of it. I believe they have laws in Korea and Japan regulating, but not sure if there is any concrete law in the US requiring, though it seems like most camera phones I have owned all making a shutter sound.
    ...some legislators have a little too much time on their hands!
    10-27-10 07:19 AM

Bill Summary & Status - 111th Congress (2009 - 2010) - H.R.414 - All Information - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

H.R.414
    Title: Camera Phone Predator Alert Act
    Sponsor: Rep King, Peter T. [NY-3] (introduced 1/9/2009)
    Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 1/9/2009 Referred to House committee.
    Status: Referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

The Law is still in the works ...
    10-27-10 08:28 AM
    Bill Summary & Status - 111th Congress (2009 - 2010) - H.R.414 - All Information - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

H.R.414
    Title: Camera Phone Predator Alert Act
    Sponsor: Rep King, Peter T. [NY-3] (introduced 1/9/2009)
    Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 1/9/2009 Referred to House committee.
    Status: Referred to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce.

The Law is still in the works ...
    .....like I said....some legislators have too much time! Notice it doesn't include digital cameras (including those that might be wirelessly enabled)!
    10-27-10 10:13 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD