Im having the dreaded BIS issue but unlike the others Ive never enabled wifi. When this device was working I was planning on keeping it and if I can get a replacement that works I will definitely keep this phone. After being on the phone for hours with tech support with a brand new exchange that repeated the same issue as before I came away with this answer. This is a known problem with some devices and you have two routes to go with it: Either continue to do master wipes and get it back, or continue to exchange the device. Once my 30 days is about over I might have to go back to a phone that I didnt like as much as my torch, the aria. So frustrating!
    09-07-10 05:29 AM
    i had that problem also but after a few days it went away ...i m sorry this happened to you but its worth it to give it another chance ...people still pretend the iphone didnt have an antenna problem ...everything gets solved and its a phone thats def worth it
    09-07-10 05:39 AM
    Try to tough it out.....I know it's sad to say that with a barnd new phone....but try everything you can. Get a new SIM card too.
    09-07-10 06:27 AM
    I haven't had the issue since I upgraded the OS from 141. I recommend upgrading to one of the leaked versions. The latest one runs much better.
    09-07-10 07:56 AM
    Id like to try an upgraded os but im on a macbook pro. All the leaked os's i find are .exe Im going to go to at&t again. apparently some phones are unaffected so hopefully i can get one that doesnt have this issue at all. I wish someone from rim would say we know about this and should have a fix in the next software update or something....frustrating
    09-07-10 12:40 PM
    After three of these disasters I have a Captivate and I am a much happier person for it. I wanted to love the torch but I guess it wasnt meant to be.
    09-11-10 08:08 PM
    Sorry to hear you lucked out on the Torch. Enjoy the Captivate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 08:24 PM
    i can honostley see me trading this phone + cash for the 9780 when it becomes available..
    09-11-10 08:49 PM
    Have you checked that att.blackberry.com recognizes your Torch and PIN? Mine was set to my Bold when I had the issue. Changed it to the Torch, no issues since..

09-11-10 09:01 PM
    Im having the dreaded BIS issue but unlike the others Ive never enabled wifi. When this device was working I was planning on keeping it and if I can get a replacement that works I will definitely keep this phone. After being on the phone for hours with tech support with a brand new exchange that repeated the same issue as before I came away with this answer. This is a known problem with some devices and you have two routes to go with it: Either continue to do master wipes and get it back, or continue to exchange the device. Once my 30 days is about over I might have to go back to a phone that I didnt like as much as my torch, the aria. So frustrating!
    Why put yourself through the agravation and potentially be stuck with a faulty device that shouldve worked right from the get go. Its not worth it.

09-11-10 09:16 PM
    I never had the "BIZ issue" on .141 and only got the "BIZ issue" a week after upgrading to .214 and then traveling to a different city while WiFi was enabled.

The "fix" that seems to be working for some (including me) is to go to Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>TCP IP>Disable APN and save and then re-boot.

I am back home and my phone is now working perfectly. (I did not get a new SIM and I did not do a security wipe and I did not re-install the OS.) I am not sure what "APN disabled" will do to any apps or to the phone, but e-mail and browser and all of my apps seem to be functioning properly.
    09-11-10 09:35 PM
    Well try to get that out to other people with the issue and if it works on most people's phones that's awesome. I hope that everyone who buys the torch will have nothing but the enjoyment I had when the torch worked for me. I also wish I had discovered your work around before I traded it back in. Best of luck to any still struggling with the issue because like i said before it has the potential of being a wondrous device when working.
    09-11-10 09:48 PM
    I only have enjoyment no frustration with Torch. To be honest my wife has been complaining because I neglected her because I just can't put it down. I am sorry some people seem to have issues with emails, lag etc..I wonder what are the problems. Even on the very first ROM .135 I already found it a very responsive and nice tool. I am not sure what is the lag, camera, keyboard, wiggle...etc people have been talking about. It seems people evaluated it under a microscope. I have never noted any serious lag or big issues. I am enjoying it to the fullest. I think if you take time to adapt and don't think about its so-called inferior processor and screen resolution but just use it as is you will enjoy it. Everyday it grows on me. The touch screen and hard keyboard is a wonderful combination. I am fortunate I only found Love no hate.

09-11-10 10:38 PM
    I only have enjoyment no frustration with Torch. To be honest my wife has been complaining because I neglected her because I just can't put it down. I am sorry some people seem to have issues with emails, lag etc..I wonder what are the problems. Even on the very first ROM .135 I already found it a very responsive and nice tool. I am not sure what is the lag, camera, keyboard, wiggle...etc people have been talking about. It seems people evaluated it under a microscope. I have never noted any serious lag or big issues. I am enjoying it to the fullest. I think if you take time to adapt and don't think about its so-called inferior processor and screen resolution but just use it as is you will enjoy it. Everyday it grows on me. The touch screen and hard keyboard is a wonderful combination. I am fortunate I only found Love no hate.

And my husband is probably at his wits end with me on my new Torch. Even the little things don't bother me on it. I love my Torch!

Peace....
    09-25-10 10:28 PM
    I feel your pain, man. And I'm in the same boat. I upgraded to .246 and so far (crosses fingers) I've been stable for 1.5 days now. Using WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. in multiple settings.

I may take this one back anyway before my 30 days is up, just to get a new issue. Today, my camera's shutter button (the icon) wouldn't work. It wouldn't even let me scroll over it!

Your characterization is perfect. "Best and Worst".

I want SO BAD for this thing to be solid. Like my Bold 9000 was.
    09-25-10 10:35 PM
    Very odd problem, I wonder what is causing it. I have not had any issues whatsoever with connections to BIS.
    09-25-10 10:52 PM
    Very odd problem, I wonder what is causing it. I have not had any issues whatsoever with connections to BIS.
    Though I have never experienced this, what I have heard is that the BIS connection actually requires making a TCP connection through the carrier's network in order to reach the RIM servers. There are many simultaneous connections possible over BIS (I heard a number of over 200) but only a limited number over the TCP link (I heard a number around 5). If you have a number of apps that are making TCP connections and they exhaust the maximum number available then the device can never reach the RIM servers and BIS connections fail.

This makes sense and explains why some have success by disabling the APN - that prevents device apps from using that connection and tying it up, allowing the device to actually reach the RIM servers. The advice I have heard is to - as much as possible - turn off apps that might be using Direct TCP connections to prevent them from using all that are available.
    09-25-10 11:06 PM
    Gregory R you dont mind that the captivate cant get a GPS signal or cant track you if it does get one? i am turning in my captivate because of the GPS issue for a torch
    09-25-10 11:18 PM
    I had the issue for one day. I think it has to do with the stock OS because I haven't heard of anyone with .225 or .246 complain about it yet. When I had the issue I wiped my device and backed my device up. And the issue went away.

09-25-10 11:19 PM
    i can honostley see me trading this phone + cash for the 9780 when it becomes available..
    Not me. I'm in love with my new big touch screen. I had a bold 9650 before. Now having the ability to NOT use the trackpad is a relief. And I love switching between virtual and physical keyboards. My thumbs use to get sore lol. And when you want to be quiet your physical keyboard won't accomodate that. Just my opinion.

09-25-10 11:21 PM
    Gregory R you dont mind that the captivate cant get a GPS signal or cant track you if it does get one? i am turning in my captivate because of the GPS issue for a torch
    This was to be specifically fixed in a software update sometime this week.

09-26-10 12:26 AM
    Samsung Captivate gets GPS fix, other Galaxy S versions wait patiently - Engadget
    09-26-10 06:34 AM
    I'm actually liking my captivate. I might get a torch again in a while because I want it to work. I'm a big supporter of what the torch is trying to be. I very much want to be a blackberry user.

09-26-10 05:18 PM
    I put mine up on craigslist today. I just wasn't using it much. Too delicate for my taste, I'll let someone else be the one to drop it. I've been using my 9700 and 9550 primarily since I got the torch anyway. I love the formfactor and if they release another that's stronger/tougher I'll be all over it. OS6 on the 9700 will be perfect for me at the moment.

09-26-10 05:42 PM
    Torch can either be the best BlackBerry device, or the worst, depends on your taste.

I personally prefer the regular Bold keyboard and hate Touch screens but that's just me.
    12-26-10 11:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD