So trying to get an internet accessible imap email account to work on the torch. However, I need to change some advanced settings, like port and SSL and I see no way to do this. On the phone or on the web it never sets up the email address because it cant connect. And I dont see an advance options/settings area anywhere. Ideas?
    09-20-10 01:23 PM
    i had to do mine from aweb brwoser on the BIS site for my carrier.
    google Verizon BIS blackberry and then if you haven't yet, create a new account or login to your existing account and then create a new email account connector from inside the BIS website.
    There is an advanced settings where you can specify IMAP connection and server, port etc.

good luck!
    09-20-10 01:57 PM
    Did that...went to bis ATT site set up the account, but cant get to an area that will allow for port number. I hate BB sometimes!
    09-20-10 02:37 PM
    I am using an email address that uses IMAP. To get to the settings, first add the email address and password. It will create the account. Then, it will take you to a new window for that new account and you can select the Advanced Options tab. You can set the port there.

Hope this helps.
    C

Edit: This information pertains to using the AT&T BIS Website. I don't think I made that very clear. Sorry.
    Last edited by geocd; 09-20-10 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Additional Information
    09-20-10 04:44 PM
    I am using an email address that uses IMAP. To get to the settings, first add the email address and password. It will create the account. Then, it will take you to a new window for that new account and you can select the Advanced Options tab. You can set the port there.

Hope this helps.
    C

Edit: This information pertains to using the AT&T BIS Website. I don't think I made that very clear. Sorry.

When creating a new account as above, I do not see an ADVANCED OPTIONS tab?? It just asked to check a box to SYNC contacts and/or to FINISH and add the account.
    09-20-10 07:29 PM
    Exactly what service are you trying to use? As mention above use the Adance Option when configuring the account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 07:43 PM
    Exactly what service are you trying to use? As mention above use the Adance Option when configuring the account.

AT&T
    bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

As I said, there is no advanced setting tab/option, etc when adding the new email account.

It asks for the email address & password
    NEXT
    Next screen asks if you want contacts to be synced
    FINISH or ADD NEW ACCOUNT

Where's the ADVANCED OPTIONs/SETTINGS?
    09-20-10 07:54 PM
    Once you've set the account up online, you should be able to get to its settings via the phone.

Click Setup on your BB home screen, then the first icon you see in Setup should be Email Accounts. If you set the account up correctly online, the icon should say Email Accounts (1) (the number in parens will be however many email accounts you have set up with BlackBerry, but it should be at least one).

Click the Email Accounts icon, then click Internet Mail Account. Here you should see the account you set up online at the top of the screen. If you don't see it, then the account was not set up correctly online. If you do see it, click it, then select Edit.

Scroll to the bottom of the Edit screen; you should see Advanced Options right above the Save button. Click it, and that's where you can change all those fun parameters like mail servers and port numbers.

Hope this helps ...
    09-20-10 08:12 PM
    I may have skipped a step...

Put in the email address and password.

Then, next screen click finish. This will take you back to the email address list.

Then, on the screen with the list of emails, click the "Edit" buton next to your new email address.
    You will find the "Advanced Settings" tab there.

C

09-20-10 08:24 PM
    And I am not sure you even need to do any of that. BIS is BIS. Nothing special about such an account on a Torch vs any other BB. Set things up on a PC via our BIS site and it will be easier.

09-20-10 09:26 PM
    One of my primary email accounts is an IMAP account with non-standard settings. Here's how I do it:

Start to create a new email account. Put in a BOGUS password. You'll then get a screen with an option to enter your own email account settings. From there you should be able to enter imap user name, imap server, whether or not the server uses SSL. The BlackBerry browser version also lets you specify the port number. I don't think the web based screens let you do that.

Hope that trick helps!
    09-20-10 10:22 PM
    BIS wont complete the setup. I have tried via the BIS website and via my device. The device says activation is complete. A few minutes later, I receive an email onn the device stating messages are not being received. It instructs me to activate IMAP setting in my email account (which I have). When I log back into my device's setup, it asks me to validate my account by entering my password. I enter the password and it accepts. I receive a confirmation the account has been activated. I can send messages, but cannot receive. A few minutes goes by and I get the original email again stating messages are not being received by the device. The processes begins all over again.

Any help?
    Last edited by iskortch; 09-24-10 at 04:28 PM.
    09-24-10 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD