Hello,

For current Torch users, can you please provide your feedback on the accuracy and user experience with the virtual keyboard?

After a month of usage, are you improving on the speed and accuracy. Or do you prefer the physical keyboard?

My intentions (when I do finally get my Torch!) is to use the virtual keyboard for quick replies and the physical for those long and nasty message : )!

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks,
    09-19-10 07:31 AM
    I've had it for a few days now. Running .141? But I hear the newer updates give you a more solid virtual keyboard. But I like it I just the physical for longer texts and the virtual for a quick reply. Hope that helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 07:34 AM
    I'm running 6.0.0.225 and there has definitely been an improvement made to the virtual keyboard. In my opinion, the OS that shipped with the phone had a terrible virtual keyboard. I could hardly type on it without looking like a toddler. With .225 it's a breeze.

To answer your question AsianStorm, I do exactly as you're contemplating. I use the virtual for quickie responses but bring out the big guns when BOTH barrels are needed

Bryan
    09-19-10 09:24 AM
    I've only had the 9800 for maybe a week now and I'm running .225 and still find myself having a lot of trouble using the virtual keyboard. I honestly think most of the problem is simply my lack of previous use with virtual keyboards. I have always used the physical keyboards on the various BB's I've owned. I don't see it as a design flaw but user error on my part. I'm sure as time goes on I'll get better at it.
    09-19-10 09:27 AM
    Don't like virtual keyboards, always use the physical one.
    09-19-10 11:33 AM
    I'm running v.141 and have been using the Torch for a week. I find myself using the virtual keyboard if I only need to type in a few words for a search or similar. The accuracy isn't too bad, but it is easy to hit the wrong button (more my fault than the phone's).

If I'm writing SMS or e-mail, or entering in usernames and passwords, then I go with the physical keyboard. I really like having the option of both.
    09-19-10 11:56 AM
    I'm running 6.0.0.225 and there has definitely been an improvement made to the virtual keyboard. In my opinion, the OS that shipped with the phone had a terrible virtual keyboard. I could hardly type on it without looking like a toddler. With .225 it's a breeze.

To answer your question AsianStorm, I do exactly as you're contemplating. I use the virtual for quickie responses but bring out the big guns when BOTH barrels are needed

Bryan
    Agreed 110%!!!

I've only had the 9800 for maybe a week now and I'm running .225 and still find myself having a lot of trouble using the virtual keyboard. I honestly think most of the problem is simply my lack of previous use with virtual keyboards. I have always used the physical keyboards on the various BB's I've owned. I don't see it as a design flaw but user error on my part. I'm sure as time goes on I'll get better at it.
    As for using the virtual keyboard, make sure that your left hand fingers do not move past the split in the keyboard(T G V). I find when I try and use my right hand fingers too far to the left(left of T G V) I make many mistakes. Whereas it's the complete opposite when I keep both sets on the correct sides.
    09-19-10 01:13 PM
    My typing speed and accuracy has slowly increased over time as I use the virtual keyboard more & more. Im a bit faster when typing in the landscape keyboard vs portait one. I'm still much faster overall with the physical keyboard. I'm using the latest leaked OS (225) which is much more virtual keyboard friendly than the original.

JJ

09-19-10 04:40 PM
    They keyboard seems to be very accurate. However, my thumbs type like I am all thumbs on it. I much prefer the physical keyboard, it is one of the best features of the phone so I am going to use it.
    09-19-10 05:37 PM
    My preferance is the physical keyboard but I am getting much better on landscape virtual keyboard.

09-19-10 05:51 PM
    i'm on .214 and the virtual is much more accurate than it was on .141. I use the vitual about 70% of the time now.
    09-19-10 06:57 PM
    Im on .225 and virtual key board is way better than .141 even the pop up letters are bigger. (atleast to me)
    09-19-10 07:43 PM
    I think everyone as a blackberry user would prefer their physical keyboard over the virtual (besides storm users :P). I must say though, the virtual keyboard is convenient when your thumbs are worn out from the physical. With OS .225 the virtual is rather responsive and accurate with predictive text style. I enjoy it, it's fun to switch back and forth. I recently tried reduced keyboard (for lack of a better term **remembered.. I think its called Surepress? or plus), and when I'm not on landscape mode and I want to use the virtual it quite simple. Once I get use to it I imagine I can type with the virtual in portrait mode fast.
    09-19-10 09:41 PM
    I am using predictive inpotrait. It is horrible. I suck at this. I type super fast on physical keyboard. Shame too, I love the stealth silence of the virtual.

09-19-10 09:58 PM
    I am using predictive inpotrait. It is horrible. I suck at this. I type super fast on physical keyboard. Shame too, I love the stealth silence of the virtual.

Portrait is rather hard to type bc the keys are crammed into the screen. Try portrait with surepress. Or just do landscape
    09-19-10 10:39 PM
    I was horridly disappointed with the touch keyboard (out-of-box) as compared to my iPhone and found the abbreviated keyboard even more frustrating. I am updating to latest OS now (from 6.0.141 to 6.0.246. Will post results.
    Last edited by porsche928; 11-08-10 at 02:52 PM.
    11-08-10 02:47 PM
    The predictive keyboard on the reduced size k/b in portrait is my favorite for using the virtual k/b. Every so often I need to go faster or put in text that won't work on the predictive k/b and that's when I extend the great little QWERTY keyboard and fly!

But I use the landscape keyboard as well. I think the op will find all of them useful and well designed, especially on ver .246.
    11-08-10 03:04 PM
    i use the vkb for quick replies are you said and usually always in portrait. I hate landscape, the buttons are too far to type quickly for me. I'm much faster on the pkb but as everyone has said that's expected. Someone also mentioned to try portrait in the reduced keyboard and I must say i like that the best. using suretype or predictive with the 2 letters/key on the vkb is how I am fastest. Make sure to not look at the screen when typing, only look when you are done. the reduced works best if you just look for the letter you want to type and i think it does a good job of figuring out what i want to say. good luck!
    11-08-10 03:09 PM
    Yes ... there is now space between keys and that seems to be making it 100% better, like iPhone. I would still like numlock/shift to be sticky like the iPhone, cause when I type numbers I have to keep tapping it (so double keytaps everytime)
    11-08-10 04:38 PM
    Predictive seems to learn way more slowly than the iPhone ... I type many non-English messages and that screws up terribly under predictive.
    11-08-10 04:41 PM
    Yes ... there is now space between keys and that seems to be making it 100% better, like iPhone. I would still like numlock/shift to be sticky like the iPhone, cause when I type numbers I have to keep tapping it (so double keytaps everytime)
    The number keys on the vkb are sticky, you know, if you want them to be. If you hold the number selector for more than a second it will give you the numerical keyboard which will stay numerical until you touch the abc key again.

But I'm guessing you know that and are referring to the slide out k/b.
    11-08-10 04:45 PM
    The number keys on the vkb are sticky, you know, if you want them to be. If you hold the number selector for more than a second it will give you the numerical keyboard which will stay numerical until you touch the abc key again.

Well I did not know that! Thanks so much for sharing!!

11-08-10 05:05 PM
    To this day I still find the virtual keyboard cramped and completely unusable.
    11-08-10 05:37 PM
    It takes some time to getting used to. I had the same problem now I can flu on the touch screen keyboard just like the iPhone
    11-08-10 08:13 PM

Thanks yes I know that ... it works. Let me show you an example:

I have a username c345b678
    On the iPhone it takes:
    c
    num
    num
    b
    num

On the BB it takes:
    c
    hold num 2 seconds
    hold num 2 seconds