I have had my Torch just over 6 days now. I installed berryweather 3 days ago. My Torch worked fine until one day ago. The battery had 75% chagre remaining and then when I work up and checked some 5 hours after, it says that it had 15% charge remaining. Prior to this the battery usage was amazing! What was odd was that the system busy icon was flashing on the home screen approximately every 2 seconds. I went to options>device>application management and checked the CPU for all applications displayed. Interestingly, the BlackBerry 6.0.0.246 was using 93% - 100% CPU all the time. No other application was running at all. I eventually did a battery pull to reset the phone and monitored the CPU usage. It returned to normal. What I did observe was that the phone was warm when I first took it up when I awoke, which had never happened before.

I have installed the following apps:
    • Berryweather
    • RepliGo Reader
    • 5001 Amazing Facts
    • Kindle for BlackBerry

I checked the CPU usage of these applications installed. Only the berryweather application was actually used at any time on the day that battery drain occured. I have attached pics of these application CPU statistics. The pics showed that on the day in question the OS ran for 4hrs 32mins compared to 14mins 15secs for the entire previous week. Note that on the day that the battery drained, only 10 hours had elapsed.

Clearly, for some reason, the OS 6.0 appeared to have entered an infinite loop (high CPU usage) which eventually drained the battery. As berryweather was the only app that ran on that day I decided to remove berryweather. I am going to monitor the battery and phone's performance.

In the meantime, I was wondering if any Torch or OS 6.0.0.246 users have had a similar experience.

I could not find a way to contact RIM.

Appreciate hearing from users.

Thanks
    Last edited by RobTorchBerry; 11-28-10 at 12:22 PM.
    audronius likes this.
    11-28-10 12:13 PM
    Are you running the most current version of BW? I'm running 2.5.53 for OS 6.0 on the 9800 and I haven't had any battery issues. I'm on .337 now but had no issues on .246 either. Also what are your settings for your BW updates? I'm updating every 30 minutes with no issues. Check you networking transport settings in BW, mine is set to "Auto". If BW is hunting for the wrong networking transport, it might drain your battery fast.

If your carrier is having issues and your 9800 is hunting back and forth for a 2G and 3G connection all the time it will drain the battery fast. I recently had that happen when my carrier (AT&T) had a tower go down in my area. My 9800 was constantly looking for a signal and the battery went down fast. I switched the phone to 2G only and it helped until the tower was back up.
    11-28-10 12:38 PM
    Change your autoupdate for BW to a longer interval.

Close all apps that you are not using in addition to an webpages.

Turn down your screen brightness down to 10%.

Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth that you are not using.

I also have an OEM charging pod at home and in the office.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 12:48 PM
    Are you running the most current version of BW? I'm running 2.5.53 for OS 6.0 on the 9800 and I haven't had any battery issues. I'm on .337 now but had no issues on .246 either. Also what are your settings for your BW updates? I'm updating every 30 minutes with no issues. Check you networking transport settings in BW, mine is set to "Auto". If BW is hunting for the wrong networking transport, it might drain your battery fast.

If your carrier is having issues and your 9800 is hunting back and forth for a 2G and 3G connection all the time it will drain the battery fast. I recently had that happen when my carrier (AT&T) had a tower go down in my area. My 9800 was constantly looking for a signal and the battery went down fast. I switched the phone to 2G only and it helped until the tower was back up.
    I have since uninstalled BW, but the version I was running was 2.5.53. Yes, I had networking transport set to "Auto". I was updating every 3 hours. As you suggested, "If BW is hunting for the wrong network transport, it might drain your battery fast.", does this mean that BW has to be running while the hunting is taking place? If so, this was not the case. The only app that was running and consumng the CPU was the OS 6.0.0.246. In fact, on the day that the battery drained, BW only used up 4.6s of CPU time. For the entire week before (3 days), it used up 8mins 14secs of CPU. Remember, the OS used up 4 hours 23mins in the last 10 hours compared to 14mins 15secs over the entire last 5 days. I am even wondering, if the carrier is having issues, and as you suggested, some sort of hunting is taking place, does this actually involve the OS? My carrier only has EDGE, no 3G.

I am going to monitor battery and phone performance over the next few days and then I will decide if I will reinstall BW. It seems like a really cool weather app. I will post updates as the days go by.

On another note, I went to "Options">"Device">"Software Updates" and my Torch said that current version is 6.0 bundle 695 and it is up to date. When I check "About Device Versions", I noticed that 6.0 Bundle 695 is v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105. I was wondering, how were you able to update to .337?

In terms of multiple apps running, I did not have that happening when the problem occured. Also the screen was locked and off. I am not using any 3rd party locking app.

Thanks for your knowledge so far. I do appreciate it and look forward to anyone willing to share their ideas.
    Last edited by RobTorchBerry; 11-28-10 at 04:55 PM.
    11-28-10 04:51 PM
    Updating to .337 is not hard and is not the "official" OS of your carrier. That being said it does not mean you cannot upgrade to it following this threads procedures.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...1/#post5740955

It is however an official blackberry OS, but just for a different carrier.
    11-28-10 05:01 PM
    Actually i got the same problem as my CPU runs even more than RobTorchBerry's (about 80-90% of all the time). When i check CPU usage, it only shows that my BB software 6 eats all the CPU usage. By the way, i haven't got any 3rd part apps at all exept Facebook but all notifications are disabled. And my Torch runs .337. I have really no idea what is the problem with my phone. So, it's not about the BW at all, as i haven't use it at all. If anybody have find out how to solve this issue, please let us know.
    12-04-10 02:54 AM
    At this point, I would try updating to .337. If that doesn't work, try reloading the most recent version of the OS from your carrier? Remember to back up your BB first before attempting the upgrade.

12-04-10 03:16 AM
    your carrier has not made the .337 official -- Carrier has not released that upgrade.

Another carrier has thought. Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BE2BF2D3D7ECE3

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
    2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
    3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.
    12-04-10 03:31 AM
    Before you upgrade to a leak, be aware that your carrier does not support it. You can revert to .246, but just know that it's a leaked, non-supported OS at AT&T.
    Not saying not to do it, just making sure you know.

12-04-10 05:22 AM
    i think my battery was okay too until i installed berry weather and repligo...i think i will have to uninstall them and see how my battery survive
    12-04-10 05:45 AM
    i think my battery was okay too until i installed berry weather and repligo...i think i will have to uninstall them and see how my battery survive
    So far, since I uninstalled the BW app, I have not had any problems with battery drain. It is now some 3-4 days since I uninstalled the BW app after I encountered the battery drain. Will post another update in the next few days.

Thanks for all the useful discussion. w

12-04-10 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD