hey guys! i really need help choosing device. I love bb for text and of course bbm. i do it a LOT! i want opinion from all torch users who previously owned bold or any model(except storm :P). is it worth buying?? or is it worth waiting for 9780?
    i really like the large screen and slider but again i doubt will it be easy BBMing anytime anywhere & after watching videos of OS6 running on 9700, i find it really smooth; will there be any solid update for torch to run as smooth as other devices?..

so many doubts...as many answers
    10-09-10 04:34 AM
    I think it simply boils down to your need for a touchscreen. I came to the Torch from a Bold 9000 and I find the touchscreen to make navigation and input much more pleasant. The Torch on 6.0.0.246 is great and it doesn't lag at all. I think you would be happy with a Torch.

I've never personally used a 9700 with OS6 running on it so I wouldn't be able to comment on that and I'm not sure how it would match up to the 9780 though I'm confident that it's a much more solidly built device.

I hope you find the one that's right for you.
    10-09-10 05:37 AM
    Personal choice I guess.
    If you use the net a lot and would like a bigger screen as well then it's Torch.
    BBM is no problem either as you can use the slide keyboard. Sliding the keyboard out does take a little getting used to but it's not a huge issue.
    10-09-10 06:15 AM
    As a previous 9000 and 9700 user (and lover), I cannot imagine having to switch back to a non-touchscreen device. It only furthers the speed you can operate when partnered with a physical keyboard and trackpad.

That being said, if I hadn't used the Torch, I'm sure I would absolutely love the 9780.. But now I've been tainted by the beauty of dual-inputs. IMO, it truly is the best Blackberry experience available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 06:30 AM
    As a previous 9000 and 9700 user (and lover), I cannot imagine having to switch back to a non-touchscreen device. It only furthers the speed you can operate when partnered with a physical keyboard and trackpad.

That being said, if I hadn't used the Torch, I'm sure I would absolutely love the 9780.. But now I've been tainted by the beauty of dual-inputs. IMO, it truly is the best Blackberry experience available.

Having also owned a 9700 and a 9000, I could not have said it better having the touchscreen, trackpad and dual keyboards is great. The physical keyboard is more solid on the Torch and doesn't have the clackiness that is characteristic of past berries.

10-09-10 07:10 AM
    I'm considering getting rid of my Torch for the 9780. I love the crisp screen on the 9780, but I'm not sure if I can give up the 3.2" screen on the Torch. I'm mad RIM didn't put a higher quality screen on the Torch.
    10-09-10 07:19 AM

Having also owned a 9700 and a 9000, I could not have said it better having the touchscreen, trackpad and dual keyboards is great. The physical keyboard is more solid on the Torch and doesn't have the clackiness that is characteristic of past berries.

These 2 speak the truth. I love having the options. Thats what its really about. You can use the phone how you want. You can use the touchscreen if you want, you can use the trackpad if you want. Use the onscreen keyboard(which btw has amazing word prediction...better than any keyboard Ive seen on android which I tried them all) or use the hardware keyboard. And the hardware keyboard is incredible. I like it more than the 9700's which I also loved. Its more clicky.
    Id pass on the 9780, now if RIM were to make the magnum, a device like the 9000 with a touchscreen and similar specs or better than the torch, then Id be looking at that.
    10-09-10 07:40 AM
    IMO, it truly is the best Blackberry experience available.
    how's the body? well my bro bought Torch the 2nd day from at&t store & it seem good quality. a guy (iPhone fan) told me it gets damaged soon in just one fall. well i havent tested that with bro's device though. he was with me for about 15 days and i couldnt get off my eyes from it haha. i hardly used the device for 5min (we dont share much)... my Q is, is it just my love for BB to see a big screen or is it really that good?? and RIM havent announced release date yet & i need a new device soon & i know im making no sense here...

man this is a huge issue
    Last edited by shahriyar; 10-09-10 at 07:57 AM.
    10-09-10 07:55 AM
    Iwould go for the Torch. I came from a bold 9700 and really like having a touch screen and keyboard. My bold did not have OS6 so I can't speak to it. They are both great phones but my preference is the torch.
    10-09-10 08:02 AM
    I had the 9700 and tested the Torch for 2 days. The 9700/9780 are fantastic devices however, the fact that you have a bigger screen (touch), trackpad, virtual and physical keyboards, i would have to say Torch all the way,if you don't mind a slider form factor. For the 2 days that i had it in hand, it never lagged or felt slow and although the screen isn't the greatest out there in terms of res, it really isn't bad at all.

10-09-10 08:14 AM
    I agree with jasonvw and, well the thing about the Torch is..

Once you're "comfortable" with it, you don't use the keyboard or trackpad or whatever because you "want" to, you make your choices on input method subliminally.. Instantly.. Without even noticing you've done it 'til yer half way through whatever yer doing.

It just FLOWS. There's no other way to describe it. It's really quite lovely.

This post is a perfect example.. I'm typing on the physical keyboard.. Notice a typo 2 lines back and just tap the word, then fine-tune the cursor placement with the trackpad on the way back down to the physical keyboard. It's THE most efficient phone I've used. Non-dual-input BB's will never, ever flow like this.

10-09-10 10:47 AM
    thanks guys. my next post will be from my torch....hopefully :P
    10-09-10 11:59 AM
    The thing I like about the Torch is it lets you use the phone any way you want. You can use it like a traditional berry with keyboard and trackpad, a touch device, or any combination in between, all with a larger display.

The drawback of course, is they only way you can cram a physical keyboard in is to make the phone a slider, and you will get that form factor's weaknesses. Mainly a device that's less solid feeling due to it being a 2 part, moving design. That is about the only thing I miss from my 9630.
    10-09-10 12:06 PM
    deal done. I'm gonna get my bro's torch when 9780 comes out. we both gonna pay 50-50 LMAO. now, i did this trusting you guys
    10-12-10 06:55 AM
    On the damage due to drops issue... i often times drop my phone(clumsy or something else idk) i do of course have the OEM leather pouch and ghost armor screen protector, and seeing as all berrys seem to drop top down it does have some minor scratches on the bezel, but in no way is there "damage" to the software or the hardware. This being falls of larger then my height of 6 feet(one was a fall off my roof when it fell out of my pocket, so a tumble of 20+ feet)
    10-12-10 07:09 AM
    Im coming from a Storm to the Torch and the difference is night and day...still figuring my way around with all the new features but it is a definate Storm killer. i think thats why they pulled the Storm refresh becuase this will be their flag ship touchscreen
    10-12-10 07:15 AM
    coming from a Bold 9000 ( which i still own) and an iphone 3GS.
    i really like the torch.. at the end of the day it's all a matter of preference.
    10-12-10 07:45 AM
    This being falls of larger then my height of 6 feet(one was a fall off my roof when it fell out of my pocket, so a tumble of 20+ feet)
    looks a solid device
    10-12-10 09:04 AM

+1...

I actually returned the Torch I bought on launch day because I missed my 9700. However, upon going back to the 9700 and then seeing what OS6 looked like on a non-touchscreen device, I switched back to the 9800. OS6 seems tailored to the touch screen models. As previous posters have stated, the fluency and ease of the dual touch/keyboard makes getting around the phone and the OS much easier. After going back to the 9800, I have fallen in love with it and that's saying a lot because I was 5000% anti-touch screen prior to the Torch...

10-12-10 03:29 PM

Agree 100%, also give Spitothec cool points for saying "tainted"
    10-12-10 03:58 PM
    Personal preference.

Me? I'd go with the 9780.
    Not that the torch is a bad device. Oh no. It's just not my cup of tea. I've played with enough torches already.

I just don't like touch screen phones. Period.
    10-12-10 04:03 PM
    works well for me coming from a 9700 I really missed the big screen of the storm. This was everything I wished the storm was and went to a 9700 for the physical keyboard. If you also get a good case, such as the hard one I have coupled with a case of some sort, it has a better chance of survival if your butterfingers like me
    10-12-10 05:58 PM
    9000 -> 9800. Simply a no brainer for me in hindsight. DO IT.
    10-12-10 06:08 PM
    virgin announced 9780 release on 21st. i'll wait for it & decide
    10-12-10 11:23 PM
    Hey this is Crackberry... Why not get both?

As for me, currently testing the 9800 until the 9780 comes out on T-Mobile. Beginning to miss 3G and GPS.
    10-12-10 11:25 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD