i have been a 9700 user for the past several months. but i just can't seem to like it. the screen is too small for my tastes. and it just feels awkward holding it in my large hands. i went from a 9000 to a 9700, and the large screen of the 9000 was much better then this tiny one. i also feel the 9700 was designed for more feminine use then masculine. its a shame i used my upgrade before the torch arrived. but i still need a larger phone at the moment. so i ask, is the torch vastly superior then the 9700? is the screen great for the eyes? does the phone get hot by any chance? is the battery life good for like 2 days use? is the keyboard something i can adjust too coming from a 9000/9700? will this move be good for someone who used his 9000 for nearly 2 years? my bday is coming up soon, so i was going to ask my parents if i could get one as a bday gift, no commitment pricing of course. do you think i would make a mistake if i get a torch now, and later learned that 9000 revamped is on its way? i know qnx blackberries will take time to arrive.im looking for feedback from you torch users. leave some good feedback on my post. thank you.
    11-29-10 04:15 PM
    I think alot of it is going to depend on how used to typing on the 9700 you are. If you got big hands and fingers and find it difficult to type on the 9700..then you may find it more difficult on the Torch. I've never used the 9700 or 9000, so I can't compare to those..i just know from reading many posts that people coming from those devices find the Torch keyboard a little more cramped (but still useable).

As far as screen size goes, then yes..it'll be a nice change because the Torch does offer alot more real estate for viewing. As far as BB's go..I believe the Torch is the best in the business right now when you factor in form factor, useablility, functionality etc. Minus a few hardware and quality control incidents with the phone, all in all it's a very solid device, and shouldnt disappoint.
    11-29-10 04:28 PM
    if you can manage to type on the 9700, and wanta big screen i would say try the torch,

Ive played with one the screen is great, but the keyboard is kinda flat.

But i would say get one and try it out for a few days to a week and see how you like it.
    11-29-10 04:31 PM
    I would agree with rickroller having owned a 9700 and the Torch both since their respective launch days. However, I would part company on the keyboard issue and the overall dimensions are not that different. The flatter keys actually help me go faster now that I have had almost three and a half months with the Torch. The newer OS 6 updates and webkit browser are great improvements now found in the 9780 but the increased productivity and enjoyment of the touchscreen with its larger screen, the better trackpad and QWERTY keyboard make definitely worth it. As mentioned above, our feedback is only worth so much and cannot replace first hand experience. We also cannot decide if the Torch truly meets your needs. I cannot imagine going back to the smaller form factor.
    11-29-10 04:35 PM
    I have very small fingers and find the keyboard to be cramped sometimes. But I can't speak on behalf of the 9700 or 9000. The screen is awesome, I love having a full screen and a physical keyboard.
    11-29-10 05:18 PM
    all i have to say is, i was a bold 9700 user, so from experience i can say, typing on the 9800 is WAY better than 9700. WAY better. go for it. the 9800 is WELL worth it.
    11-29-10 05:43 PM
    @ chetan1285: If you are willing to wait for what ever new up coming devices that RIM's coming up with... I say wait. But, If you want a new BB go ahead and try out the Torch. It's a great phone to use. I just got my replacement back and i'm happy that i have my Torch again.
    Last edited by ench18; 11-29-10 at 06:34 PM.
    11-29-10 05:47 PM
    First you realize the screen on the 9700 is acutally slightly larger then the 9000. 2nd, I used a 9700 from its launch and switched to a torch about a month ago and I don't regret it . I love the larger screen. Now the keyboards for me are similar (9700 &9800). But the physical keyboard did take some gettin use to for me. I suggest you goto a store and play with a 980 and see for yourself. Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 06:12 PM
    I went from the 9000 to the 9800, and I love the increase in size. I went back and played with my 9000 after and it just seems so dinky in comparison.

Definitely worth the switch. The Bold 9000 keyboard is the best IMO, but the 9800 is very comparable to the 9700.
    11-29-10 06:21 PM
    Me too went from 9000 to 9800, no doubt the keypad is better on 9000 or even 9700, but the 9800 is not bad at all, its just not as good as 9000 or 9700, but its definitely usable.

And with the switch, I get larger screen and touchscreen. You do the math, its definitely worth the switch.
    11-29-10 06:30 PM
    I went from the 9700 to the 9800 and the transition with the keyboard was not that bad. I had a storm before the 9700 so I honestly missed the bigger screen and it was worth it for me to have the extra bulk. I love the move. The 9700 was nice but not what I wanted with a BB. It is all personal choice
    11-29-10 08:47 PM
    First you realize the screen on the 9700 is acutally slightly larger then the 9000.

Umm actually the 9000 screen is wider.

11-29-10 09:05 PM
    the torch will be my first touchscreen device. i believe it will be a welcomed change. i got to play around with a torch while back in at&t retail store in nyc when they were releasing it. but decided to stick with the 9700 because the 9800 was buggy from the start. but now im looking forward to use it.when i play around with my brother's iphone, i kind of felt jealous because i didn't have a touchscreen. but now i would have the best of both worlds-with touchscreen and keyboard. my 9700 contract runs through 2012. at which point in time, i will consider which platform i will want to commit to next.im really hoping rim makes a big splash with their revamped qnx bold 9000 if they decide to. if rim's pipeline has nothing extraordinary coming out. then i will look towards the apple iphone or android. thanks all for the feedback. if anymore thoughts, just keep posting them.
    11-29-10 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD