I have been out of the Blackberry loop for some time, so I apologize if this is dumb, or has already been posted.

I bought the Torch last week, after having my Iphone 3GS. I just missed having a blackberry.
    So, now I've had it for almost a week and I'm unsure about the whole touch screen thing. It's reminding me all the things I hates about touch screens, pre-iphone era. I'm constantly hitting stuff, bringing up things I don't want to, and it's awkward to hold unless you're absolutely sure it's locked.
    I pretty much have only been using the keyboard which makes me wonder if it' worth it. Also, I don't like how it's bulky and I can't really handle it like a regular blackberry

However, I love the new OS.
    Things I love:
    Camera
    Music Player
    Spell check
    Multitasking
    ..pretty much everything.

but my question is:
    I still have time to switch it out, so I'm wondering if there is anything specific to the torch I'd miss out on if I went to the 9700 and just waited for OS 6, or if it's stand out feature really is just the touch screen, which I can definitely do without.

Any thoughts on this?
    10-06-10 09:37 PM
    I think that you have answered your own question. You seem to be into the software but not really the hardware. I would say wait for the 9780, but who knows when that will come out. So you may not be within your 30 day window anymore. Would you consider going with the 9700 and waiting until it gets OS 6? Or you can sell your Torch on ebay and use the money to buy a 9780 for full price. Incidentally, I agree with you. I think that I am the same. The difference is, that I haven't bought the Torch. I like the traditional BB form factor and I don't think that I will be switching to a touchscreen any time soon for many of the reasons that you gave.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 09:55 PM
    I was under the impression that OS 6 is not backwards compatible. The touch screen makes a bif difference. I know what you mean about hitting stuff, I'm still getting used to it having just moved from 9700

10-06-10 09:58 PM
    I agree, ebay the torch and buy a 9780 Although from the vids, it appears that the 9700 runs OS6 real nice. So maybe a straight swap is in order
    10-06-10 10:00 PM
    Touchscreen works great on BB6 and trackpad + touchscreen works awesome.

But you don't like it, so why not just switch?

As for bulky, I find it kinda hard to call it that when it's nearly identical to the 9650 in size. Sliders are what they are, but you should be able to realize that a slider can't be handled identically to a non-slider without even buying it.

If you don't like touchscreen and are unwilling to adjust (which seems to be the case) then get something else. It's the same OS but the usage is completely different with zero touchscreen, just like using OS5 on a Storm2 is not the same as using OS5 on a 9650/9700/8530.
    10-06-10 10:03 PM
    You really don't even need to use the Touchscreen from my point of view. Coming from the Storm (touchscreen only) I find I'm using my trackpad more than the touchscreen cuz I forgot how much I missed it. Set your touchscreen sensitivity all the way down so you don't accidentally hit it.

I could understand form factor. If its not for you then its not for you. That's the nice thing..having options

10-06-10 10:16 PM
    RIM could've implemented some additional legacy stuff. Disabling the touchscreen should be an option, every button in the UI should be accessible thru the trackpad.
    Landscape home screen should be an option as well.
    10-06-10 10:22 PM
    Love Os6 and the torch hardware. Im finding im using a mix of the touchscreen and the trackpad. Im even using the onscreen keyboard for small little things, then when Im typing much more, I slide it open and use the keyboard. I absolutely love it. Also think the 9800 hardware keyboard is even better than the 9700's. I wont be going back to my 9700. Who knows, when the Magnum finally comes out, and you bet your *** it will come out, I might go for that.
    Overall Im so happy with the Torch. Best phone Ive owned, and Ive had a tonne. And I think it all comes down to, that I can use the phone however I want.
    10-06-10 11:15 PM
    I think that you have answered your own question. You seem to be into the software but not really the hardware. I would say wait for the 9780, but who knows when that will come out. So you may not be within your 30 day window anymore. Would you consider going with the 9700 and waiting until it gets OS 6? Or you can sell your Torch on ebay and use the money to buy a 9780 for full price. Incidentally, I agree with you. I think that I am the same. The difference is, that I haven't bought the Torch. I like the traditional BB form factor and I don't think that I will be switching to a touchscreen any time soon for many of the reasons that you gave.

I think I'm going to hold out and see if there is any more word on the 9780, and if not just go with the 9700 and wait for OS 6. I still have my iphone as an ipod touch which I use for media and stuff, so I really just want the straight up blackberry form factor. Thanks for your advice!
    10-07-10 12:30 AM
    RIM could've implemented some additional legacy stuff. Disabling the touchscreen should be an option, every button in the UI should be accessible thru the trackpad.
    A disable touchscreen option might be interesting, but not sure how easy it would actually be to implement. Ignore all screen input? Seems like it defeats the purpose.

I find myself using the trackpad quite often but personally use the touchscreen much of the time as well. I find that the combination of the two works great.

I thought everything that is pressable on the screen can also be accessed via trackpad. Did you run into anything specifically that is not?

Landscape home screen should be an option as well.
    Hrm, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Lock it in landscape? If you rotate the phone, the home screen goes into landscape.

Wanted to comment on the form factor - there's some give and take as you add features. To include both a bigger screen and full sized QWERTY keyboard, something has to give - in this case it's the extended form factor and what some interpret as finding the phone to be 'top-heavy.' I think it's a fine compromise personally, but I understand if others don't (as someone else said, great thing about having options!).

You mentioned you came from a 3GS (I've been an iPhone user for years as well). If you went to a non-touchscreen, don't you think you'd find yourself trying to touch onscreen items out of habit? It could become an annoyance. Your decision of course, both are fine devices.
    10-07-10 06:50 AM
    Any storm tilt lock app should work on the torch. I use auto rotation wizard. As far as the phone goes, I feel dumb that I still only use the touchscreen. I think I've touched the keyboard and trackpad a total of 5 times since I bought it
    10-07-10 08:45 AM
    To each their own. You could get a 9700 and wait for os 6 as it is compaitable or get a newer bold. The torch is everything I wanted after having a storm 1, a physical keybord and a touch screen. I eill admit, its mostly for the screen size, the only thing I ended up liking about the darn storm 1. When I went to the 9700, I really missed the bigger screen. It is for some people, and then it isint. You might be better off changing devices.

10-07-10 09:02 AM
    I am so accustomed to tapped the notification bar with my finger that I would find it so weird to do it on a non-touchscreen aha.
    10-07-10 09:17 AM
    I love the Torch. I bought one, sold it and of all the phones I've used, maybe 300 in the past two years (I'm a reporter and I get to test phones), it's the only one I missed. I bought another one. I have to add that I'm an iPhone power user. That has been my main device since 07. I like the Torch better.
    10-07-10 09:18 AM
    2 things may help with accidental presses. The Keyboard Lock in my signature is extremely easy to use and will lock your screen to avoid pocket dialing. To lock it, you simply hold down the BB button for 1.5 seconds to bring up the running apps menu and click the lock. To unlock it, it comes default as *+talk, which requires you to open the keyboard OR you can use a custom button. I have mine set to the BB button for unlock.

Also, have you tried any other themes which move your screen hotspots around? HTC Incredible ($.99) gives your home screen just 4 main icons. However, the entire screen is a hotspot for your apps menu (pretty much). Or, you could try the Wallpaper Popup (free), which gives you a blank home screen until you click a hot spot for a bank of buttons.

Still though, this was a big annoyance for me until I got the BEIKS Locker below. Now it's no biggie. Once it's locked it's locked.
    10-07-10 11:08 AM
    I love the Torch. I bought one, sold it and of all the phones I've used, maybe 300 in the past two years (I'm a reporter and I get to test phones), it's the only one I missed. I bought another one. I have to add that I'm an iPhone power user. That has been my main device since 07. I like the Torch better.
    I agree. I've been using an iPhone as my main since they came out (including 1st gen, 3G, 3GS, and i4) and I prefer the Torch for what I do.

I'm still holding the i4 'just in case' but it is likely to be relegated to iPod status. Or sold off and replaced with a new iTouch. I think the media functions are stronger, but the communications functions of the Torch are much, much better to me.
    10-07-10 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD