i,m on 246 id like to update but ive no idea how, this is my first bb and i,m still getting used to it
    12-03-10 12:46 PM
    I understand your fear, but it is no big deal. Being a new BB user, I also updated from .246 to the new. Go to the Sticky on this fourm and scroll through the responses. Or you can go to BB 101 and learn how to do it from that. But here is what jeffreii originally posted.

"Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device. Also make sure your BBM backup settings are enabled - registered email for remote backup and do a local backup too just in case - look in BBM options.

Close DM and:

Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer if you have them. You can find your installed programs in Windows by going to control panel/programs and features. You're looking for "BlackBerry Device Software".

Install .337 to your computer. This means you double click on the OS.exe file that you downloaded and let Windows install it.

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml, if it's there, then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting.

Enjoy and let us know how it went. Always remember it takes several battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do it's thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull."
    Last edited by newcollector; 12-03-10 at 12:58 PM.
    12-03-10 12:53 PM
    Download the 6.0.0.337 Operating System from the below link:

Make sure you create a backup before you perform the below!

Instructions For Installation:

1) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.
    2) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader
    3) Delete the file named vendor.xml
    4) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port
    5) Run loader.exe
    6) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy.
    12-03-10 01:04 PM
    12-03-10 05:42 PM
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have similar question.

How can I check which OS I'm using? I went to Options > Device > Software Updates and ran it and it said I'm up to date, but it doesn't tell me which OS system is actually being used.
    12-03-10 07:17 PM
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have similar question.

How can I check which OS I'm using? I went to Options > Device > Software Updates and ran it and it said I'm up to date, but it doesn't tell me which OS system is actually being used.
    Go to Options>Device>About Device Versions. Look for someting like v6.0.0.359, Platform, 6.5.0.93. The series with the "v" in front is your device software or OS version. Yours will of course be different since your using a 9800 and I'm using a 9780. Anyway, hope this helps.
    Last edited by DawgMan; 12-03-10 at 07:26 PM.
    moiselles likes this.
    12-03-10 07:21 PM
    Thank you!!
    12-03-10 07:24 PM
    You can also see your version quickly from any screen by pressing alt+shift(caps)+H at the same time to reach the "Help Me!" screen. The line you're looking for (using mine as an example) is:

App Version: 6.0.0.337 (1165)
    Last edited by jeffreii; 12-03-10 at 08:58 PM.
    12-03-10 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD