I have the blackberry torch and i can't seem to figure out when i go to someone contact it has the option to edit their info and also call them and delete their contact but theirs also an option to text them but its all grayed out, if anybody has any info on this i would gladly appreciate it.
    01-06-11 12:19 AM
    Make sure their phone # is set as mobile, perhaps that's it. Not sure what else could be going on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 04:53 AM
    If I have 2 or more numbers for a contact, it always asks me which number I want to send to regardless of what there set as. I can send a text message to a home number or work number. No idea whats wrong with the OP' phone.
    01-06-11 06:46 AM
    If I am correct your contacts list per individual is setup for multiply numbers. If you enter the 10 digits it will list all the numbers you have entered for that contact, but also you can scroll left within the contact when "editing" to enter the numbers to change it to mobile or home or work. But when texting an individual I just know which number to pickup I will usually list the mobile number first so I know the text is going to mobile number. But if you don’t list the entire 10 digit it will not give you the option on the menu with that contact to text that number, since it is required to have the entire 10 number to send a text the service or phone doesn't know it is a home or work or mobile number. I believe there is not problem just a matter of knowing the mobile number of the individual you are texting.
    lieman likes this.
    01-06-11 08:15 AM
    If I am correct your contacts list per individual is setup for multiply numbers. If you enter the 10 digits it will list all the numbers you have entered for that contact, but also you can scroll left within the contact when "editing" to enter the numbers to change it to mobile or home or work. But when texting an individual I just know which number to pickup I will usually list the mobile number first so I know the text is going to mobile number. But if you don�t list the entire 10 digit it will not give you the option on the menu with that contact to text that number, since it is required to have the entire 10 number to send a text the service or phone doesn't know it is a home or work or mobile number. I believe there is not problem just a matter of knowing the mobile number of the individual you are texting.
    Good idea, would never have thought of this one as I always put my numbers in as 10 digits. Just tried it for one of my contacts and I have the same problem the OP does, text option is grayed out.

So in short just switch your contacts to proper 10 digit numbers and the option to text them will come up again.
    01-06-11 08:21 AM
    Yes Sir entering the 10 digits will give you the option to text, also just knowing that you are texting a mobile number also helps, IMHO. I have numbers listed that are for Agencies or Organizations that are local for me so I don't need the prefix area code, so I know I can't text them just call...
    01-06-11 08:30 AM
    I prefix all my numbers with a 1 + area code.. if your in your own area code it doesn't use the prefixed numbers. You never know when your out of your area code. I started doing this when i traveled and would always get the operator telling me i need a valid area code to call, and would have to manually enter the number.
    01-06-11 08:33 AM
    Good to know. I got stumped on this problem when helping someone with their Torch the other day.
    01-06-11 08:39 AM
    Do parentheses around the area code and a "-" in the phone # for a contact effect if it'll let you text or call out? There are times when I have a number and it even has an area code and it doesn't have the text option up. Just wondering if the other symbols ever caused a problem. It comes up sometimes when I sync with desktop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD