This isnt the first time I've noticed this ,not just on the Torch, but when the Torch gets really hot, it will just stop charging. I have to leave it alone and let it cool off and then it resumes charging. Of course, when this happens I'm in the middle of an intense texting,messaging,browsing, and on a call session but this isnt the first blackberry device that this has happened to.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, I cant be the only one. And why does it do this? Is this some sort of safety mechanism?
    10-25-10 03:13 PM
    In my opinion it could be a safety feature because the battery gets warm while charging, so it could auto stop and start.

Are you using an OEM charger? Or an aftermarket on?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 03:18 PM
    The usb cable it came with. The car charger is not oem and does the same thing. I've noticed with any charger, really.
    10-25-10 03:34 PM
    Yes, the Torch (and at least my Bold/9000) stopped charging when they reached a battery temperature of 104F.

Li-Ion batteries shouldn't be charged when they are outside 0-45C. To be safe, looks like RIM cut it off at 40C.

Obviously when there is more current on the battery (draw or charge), the warmer it will get.
    10-26-10 03:15 PM
    Yup, it's a safety feature built into the battery (or at least the phone's power management).

Higher temperatures will also cause the battery to drain more quickly, so it's a lose-lose situation. I've set my phone on an A/C vent at home in the past to help cool it more quickly...not sure if that's "good" for it or not, but it seems to help.
    10-26-10 03:25 PM
    Yup, it's a safety feature built into the battery (or at least the phone's power management).

Higher temperatures will also cause the battery to drain more quickly, so it's a lose-lose situation. I've set my phone on an A/C vent at home in the past to help cool it more quickly...not sure if that's "good" for it or not, but it seems to help.

Ya, I first noticed this on my 9000, and also observed it on the 9700 and now the 9800..........it does look like 104 is the cut off. I did the AC trick, too, except it's in my work truck. Throw on the AC, lay it on the dash and it cools it down pretty quick. only solution, really.....
    10-27-10 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD