hi all,
    I'm wondinging if anyone can share thoughts and ideas with me. I'm going to Italy for 12 days in June. I've read posts about turning off the radio to save data charges, but I'm a little worried. When I went on my cruise, the "smart phone" kept turning itself on... thus, when I got home I have a thousand dollars worth of charges.

Cons are that I don't want to loose it overseas, nor do I want to spend my vacation checking emails and sms.

That being said, I am the proud new owner of a torch (sorry, Bold) and I'm wondering is it reasonable to take it with me to Italy? I know I can get an international roaming package for those 2 weeks, so as not to incur any extra charges, and having some of the apps would be super nice, but would it be more of a hassle than it's worth?

has anyone successfully gone overseas and wasn't greeted with loads of charges when they came home? if so, i'd appreciate it if you could take the time and shed some light for me.

TIA
    03-24-11 09:30 AM
    I went to Rome with my phone in 2009 and had no problems and wasn't greeted with loads of charges when I got back home. I had data turned off so no emails or messages come through, but had the phone in case of emergencies and for a few calls I needed to make.
    03-24-11 09:41 AM
    Put your sim card in your bold for the trip, that way if you lose it or anything, your torch will be waiting for you when you get home...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-11 09:56 AM
    Turn the Data to OFF while Roaming.
    03-24-11 11:12 AM
    As above poster said, take the data off. How often do you plan on using the phone over there? I think you should bring it and take the battery out when not in use. You may need it for emergencies or for calling when you get back

03-24-11 02:33 PM
    you man want to add this feature to your plan for the duration of your stay in italy. it has reduced roaming rates that are significantly less than the norm. you may want to look at the world connect feature and expanded international roaming, too. as far as data is concerned, i'd probably turn off email service so you don't get those when you turn your device on. if you're not taking your computer or planning to use any of the available internet cafes, you can still access most email accounts via your device's wifi.

you could always get a local sim, which would allow for calls and texts within italy. but, that might not be cost effective on such a short trip.
    03-24-11 05:23 PM
    As long as you turn data connections OFF, you should not incure any data charges for roaming.

If you're really paranoid about it, you can just do what was mentioned above; leave entire phone OFF with battery out...and if you need to use phone for emergencies (hopefully you won't have to), then you can turn the phone on.

But it would take forever for it to boot up, so just turn off all data connections: you should be fine!

03-24-11 06:35 PM
    thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.
    i'm thinking of taking it (i don't have the bold anymore) becasue i will likely want some of the apps i have installed, like the weather, euros conversion, and of course, the phone itself, on occasion.
    03-24-11 08:58 PM
    Put your sim card in your bold for the trip, that way if you lose it or anything, your torch will be waiting for you when you get home...

hahaha. nice!! :-)

03-25-11 05:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD