Does the Torch save all my contacts to my sim or is a menu option somewhere? I am getting rid of the Torch and want to be sure all my new contacts I entered on the Torch are saved. Thanks
    12-09-10 11:53 AM
    From what I have seen you have to go into your contacts and open that contact and save them individually, using the menu option "save to sim card". Then you can import all at once from your sim card to your new BB contacts. So to answer your question yes utilize the menu option for each contact you can save your contacts, not sure if there is a way to save all your contacts at once, unless you use the desktop manager for BB it will save all then import/transfer to your BB. If you are going to be using/getting another BB.
    12-09-10 12:06 PM
    You can go into your setup icon and click on the AT&T icon which will sync all your contacts to AT&T wirelessly. Then when you change phones, you will still have them. I guess it works a lot like Outlook. When you set up your email for Outlook, it also syncs contacts to Outlook (that is my setup). I don't have to copy them individually.
    12-09-10 12:25 PM
    Good option "newcollector", I just never used the AT&T wirelessly option, I'm more of a hands on to ensure data is transferred. But still good suggestion, but will that option be feasible for any AT&T phone or is that a OS6/BB function?
    I'm sure the Big Dawgs on CrackBerry will chime in....
    12-09-10 12:37 PM
    I don't know about the AT&T option, but the Outlook option is available on any phone. When I sync my phone to DM it saves everything to Outlook. Really simple. Then when i set up any new phone I get, I just set it for outlook and boom! all my contacts are where I need them. Worked for when I was on WM and now on BB.
    12-09-10 01:03 PM
    I had my contacts imported from att when I swiched from tmobile. My contacts are in my phonebook. Theres no 'save 2 sim card option' weather I go 2 the contact or even when I go 2 edit the contact.
    I think were just all toasted. *shrugs*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-10 05:44 PM
    Opps nevermind..there it is

12-09-10 05:46 PM
    Google Sync is also an option. I thought I had lost all of my contacts recently when my Bold 9000 gave out, but I was able to recover everything despise an inability to save anything to the SIM card.
    12-09-10 06:03 PM
    Good option "newcollector", I just never used the AT&T wirelessly option, I'm more of a hands on to ensure data is transferred. But still good suggestion, but will that option be feasible for any AT&T phone or is that a OS6/BB function?
    I'm sure the Big Dawgs on CrackBerry will chime in....
    Well, there is no such option on my 8100 running OS 4.5, and it's on AT&T.

(Hanging out here because I plan to get the Torch soon - so I'm soaking up as much info as I can to prepare).

In any case, saving to the SIM is not ideal. Besides only being able to save one contact at a time, if you have any more info for your contact than simply a name and one number, you're screwed. The SIM card can only save a single phone number with a name. You don't get the ability to also save addresses, other numbers, anniversary and birth dates, or even facebook names and pictures (if you connect a contact with a facebook friend).

The outlook syncing is the best method. It will take all information you can put to a contact. Then you can sync it back to a new phone if you need to.

12-09-10 08:49 PM
    In any case, saving to the SIM is not ideal. Besides only being able to save one contact at a time, if you have any more info for your contact than simply a name and one number, you're screwed. The SIM card can only save a single phone number with a name. You don't get the ability to also save addresses, other numbers, anniversary and birth dates, or even facebook names and pictures (if you connect a contact with a facebook friend).
    agreed - theres so many other great options like backup.. google sync etc

in the past when people only sms'd each other maybe/// but with emailing, mms, etc its not ideal to just save a name and number.
    12-09-10 08:59 PM
    If your switching to another blackberry, wouldn't it be easier to just use DM to make a selective backup with just your address book?

If moving to another platform then moving everything to your sim would be the easiest.

I noticed your using AT&T(I know they used to be able to, but don't know anymore) they used to be able to swap address books at their store using some software they have on there own pc's and only took a couple minutes.
    Last edited by homer1475; 12-09-10 at 09:03 PM.
    12-09-10 09:00 PM
    i have switched phone 3 times in the past year so far i found from going to bb to other platform google sync is the best option (also for nuked or busted phone if having synced prior to said disasters) but for bb to bb dm is by far the best way to go in this mans opinion
    12-10-10 06:07 PM
    you can take your phone to any att store, and they can copy all #s to your sim.
    i had them do that for me..... (typing w 1 hand... )
    12-11-10 11:13 AM
    Do NOT use the SIM card. Sync to a PC or an OTA service. If you use the SIM card you will have one entry per phone number in other words if you have a contact or contact with say a mobile, a home number and a work number the SIM can only save ONE number per name. This means that contact would 3 entries on the SIM card. On top of that you will loose address, PIN and email address info as the SIM does not support saving that info.

If doing a contract renewal or something the store will transfer everything for you including media.

Last edited by shansmi; 12-11-10 at 11:45 AM.
    12-11-10 11:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD