I spoke to a lady at one of the local Wal-Mart stores last week and she said that every Torch they had sold had been returned.
    09-08-10 06:12 PM
    I think it will prove to be the type of phone that builds sales momentum over the next 3-6 months. Being a Canadian (and thus not having it released in my country yet), I've had a unique perspective on the increasing popularity of this phone in the USA over the past 3 weeks; this is especially the case with the recent unofficial release of .214.

My guess is there are a TON of fence sitters out there. Given all the bad press this phone has received since its initial launch, I think it'll take some time (and a few more positive OS release updates) for this Torch to really catch fire.
    09-08-10 07:50 PM
    The unrealistic expectations were driven by images of the Torch being an iPhone or Droid killer. That is absolutely absurd but not unreasonable. The Torch does best what all BB do. Superior communications and multi-tasking platform with an improved OS and webkit browser. Now that the public is digesting the device, it's expectations will normalize. We need more positive threads that paint a more realistic picture so that negativity of the trolls can be filtered out.
    09-08-10 08:24 PM
    A person only needs to look at RIMMs stock value to see that sales aren't going well. On the day the Torch was released the market responded with a 5% - 10% drop. The exact opposite of what supposed to happen when a new flagship product is released. RIMMs stock value has continued to drop and is nearing 2006 levels. RIM is like a big turd thats swirling the toliet bowl and won't go down... but a few more flushes from the likes of Apple, Windows phone 7, WebOS and Droid should sink them further into the sewer.
    09-08-10 08:49 PM
    The stock value doesn't have to do with Torch sales numbers... I have feeling you just read the random blogs and take them as face-value truth as to what impact that has had on the stock...
    09-08-10 09:03 PM
    I don't even own a Torch, but jeez. Certain people who shall remain unnamed should just stop trolling these parts. If they're happy with their phone, let them be happy with it!
    09-08-10 09:04 PM
    I spoke to a lady at one of the local Wal-Mart stores last week and she said that every Torch they had sold had been returned.
    sounds credible...
    09-08-10 09:05 PM
    A person only needs to look at RIMMs stock value to see that sales aren't going well. On the day the Torch was released the market responded with a 5% - 10% drop. The exact opposite of what supposed to happen when a new flagship product is released. RIMMs stock value has continued to drop and is nearing 2006 levels. RIM is like a big turd thats swirling the toliet bowl and won't go down... but a few more flushes from the likes of Apple, Windows phone 7, WebOS and Droid should sink them further into the sewer.
    how many people ... Really ... seriously.. look at the stock market before purchasing anything...
    uhmmm... i'm in the market for TV.. let see... what does Wallstreet say about the stocks of Sony , Samsung, Panasonic etc etc..

You go to the store... experience the device... and choose what you like..
    go home.. with what you felt was suitable for your needs..
    not with what the Bestbuy guy said, nor what our friends from MSNBC suggested..
    09-08-10 09:45 PM
    sounds credible...
    Too funny and so true...
    09-08-10 10:02 PM
    Slow sales seem realistic.
    Took a long look at the Torch while at a local AT&T. Physically, it seems to be well built and it is impressive visually. The browser in OS 6 is an improvement but not great. Unfortunately the phone specs are really nothing to brag about. It should have come with: a higher res screen, a gig of internal memory, at least a 1Ghz processor and for me the device could stand to be larger in width. For now I'm sticking with my 9700 and Opera Mini.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 10:46 PM
    Slow sales seem realistic.
    Took a long look at the Torch while at a local AT&T. Physically, it seems to be well built and it is impressive visually. The browser in OS 6 is an improvement but not great. Unfortunately the phone specs are really nothing to brag about. It should have come with: a higher res screen, a gig of internal memory, at least a 1Ghz processor and for me the device could stand to be larger in width. For now I'm sticking with my 9700 and Opera Mini.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    the No 1 phone manufacturer in the World which is Nokia is coming up with the N8 with this specs...ARM 11 680 MHz processor, 3D Graphics HW accelerator..

Introducing Nokia N8
    09-09-10 12:51 AM
    the No 1 phone manufacturer in the World which is Nokia is coming up with the N8 with this specs...ARM 11 680 MHz processor, 3D Graphics HW accelerator..

Introducing Nokia N8
    People have been bashing Nokia as well for releasing products with sub-par hardware. Nokia is doing the same thing as RIM, or should I say RIM is doing the same thing as Nokia?

Symbian is awefull as well. BB OS is definitely better.
    09-09-10 01:20 AM
    how many people ... Really ... seriously.. look at the stock market before purchasing anything...
    uhmmm... i'm in the market for TV.. let see... what does Wallstreet say about the stocks of Sony , Samsung, Panasonic etc etc..
    My point was that the Stock market has responded negatively to RIM and the their flagship, the Torch, because by and large it is just another sub-par buggy touch screen much like the Storm was. Most reviewers have not been impressed by it and their reactions have been lukewarm at best.

IMO given RIMs track record with new phones these days it would be in everybody's best interest to take a wait-and-see attitude before jumping in and buying anything they release. Being a BIS admin I tell everyone to avoid the Torch for now and steer them towards devices from other manufacturers.
    09-09-10 09:08 AM
    Update -

My BB Torch makes it through the whole day easily on one battery charge with plenty to spare. I surf, e-mail, text, BBM and talk all day. Your Epic doesn't. As a matter of fact you need to carry an extra battery just to make it through a day. Oh that's right - you won't carry an extra battery - you'll just drop Sprint and return the Epic.

My BB Torch will send exchange e-mails no problem no matter what mode I am in. Airplane mode included. E-mail is pushed and seamless. Your Epic doesn't and won't.

My BB torch syncs up with my calendar perfectly with no issues at all - always has. Your Epic doesn't.

I am on my first BB Torch and have had no issues. You are already on your 2nd Epic.

EPIC FAIL. Stop banging on the Torch and start worrying about your POS.
    09-09-10 09:11 AM
    My point was that the Stock market has responded negatively to RIM and the their flagship, the Torch, because by and large it is just another sub-par buggy touch screen much like the Storm was. Most reviewers have not been impressed by it and their reactions have been lukewarm at best.

IMO given RIMs track record with new phones these days it would be in everybody's best interest to take a wait-and-see attitude before jumping in and buying anything they release. Being a BIS admin I tell everyone to avoid the Torch for now and steer them towards devices from other manufacturers.
    You are wrong. The Torch is fantastic and works very well. It is a great phone.

I will be curious on the new Windows 7 phones but the iPhone and/or Android is not a suitable alternative.
    09-09-10 09:16 AM

Maybe you should start suggesting that they get the Torch - upgrade to .214 - and enjoy the awesomeness that we are all experiencing.

Unless you have another agenda of course.
    09-09-10 09:19 AM
    For what it's worth, the Torch is (and has been about 75% of the last month) #1 on Amazon's cell phone sales list (at this moment).

Amazon.com Cell Phones & Service Bestsellers: The most popular items on Amazon.com (Updated hourly)

It's pretty much stayed there the whole month except when the Captivate or Vibrant have gone on sale for $0.01.

It can't be doing too bad.
    09-09-10 09:29 AM
    These people are morons. No one knows how many 9800's have sold and we won't until the next earnings report. RIM are on track to sell another 50 million devices this year. If these idiots base everything on stock price they would have predicted the iPhone would wither and die in January 2009 when Apple was below $90.

I hope they enjoy their phones and have a lot of fum with them, but don't humor them, they have no clue. They don't understand the stock market or the wireless industry. All they understand is what they use and can't get it through to their brains that their phone isn't the only one available.
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-09-10 at 09:37 AM.
    09-09-10 09:33 AM
    Maybe you should start suggesting that they get the Torch - upgrade to .214 - and enjoy the awesomeness that we are all experiencing.

Unless you have another agenda of course.
    Until an update is officially released by AT&T we can't install it.
    09-09-10 09:41 AM
    Windows 7? Yeah okay cause they are proven! Droid at the moment is the only one that could take RIM further down and the only reason I say that is because it sounds like they are working hard at better push email and I am sure will continue to work on a better phone/ texting experience. I won't even make a comment about the webos...... If you all hate bb so much why come on these threads. If I were to switch to a droid over my BB I know I wouldn't waste my days saying how BB sucks and droid is better! Get a life! In my mind with the sale drop of RIM, is that it's a good thing. Maybe now RIM will realize they have to make a more powerful phone. Give me the power of a droid in the bold form factor and I would never switch. But yes, if a year from now if you are seeing more of the same from RIM they probably won't stick around but it will have nothing to do with an unproven platform like Windows 7....
    09-09-10 09:48 AM
    You are a bright one. Go look at Apple's stock on the days that it's had major keynotes. It's had 15% wiped from its value in one day. Market price isn't an indication of sales, its an indication of investor confidence. After the next earnings report the stock will pick back up. Investors are only responding to early online reporting. Firm sales figures and earnings will determine what happens from here. Your speculation is laughable.

Last edited by xandermac; 09-09-10 at 10:06 AM.
    09-09-10 10:02 AM
    I think they were just expecting the Torch to be hotter than it is.
    it certainly does when you've got jessica alba holding onto one of those :P

I'm not sure what their expectations were and judging by the updated article it certainly seems AT&T have backtracked on their early statement, whether that is the whole truth or not.

There's no doubt that some sales have been lost due to momentum and hardware specs. Average consumers looking at their first smartphone will think twice about buying a phone relative to competitors pricing when its specs are lower. It would have been justifiable had the build quality of competitors phones been shocking though that can be debated (antenna issues for example)
    09-09-10 10:04 AM
    Another uneducated comment from our resident guru. Any one can install .214. Whether you're actually capable or allowed by your employer is another matter. Maybe you should go whine to your boss about your blackberry and demand something different, I doubt you have the Sac for that face to face though. As you apparently haven't suddenly become any smarter you're back on the ignore list. I can't read such idiocy.

Until an update is officially released by AT&T we can't install it.
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-09-10 at 10:08 AM.
    09-09-10 10:05 AM
    Windows phone 7 has a VERY good chance of taking a lot of market share away from RIM. The 2nd most popular business phone OS has been windows mobile. Win phone 7 is a much improved OS and Microsoft is throwing a lot of money and resources behind it. From the early previews it looks like it will compete very well with the rest of the market. Microsoft has taken it from nothing to a well polished finished product in about 4 months time. That is an astonishing feat. In compairison it took RIM about 1.5 yrs to hobble OS 6 together from OS 5 and it still has glaring bugs and performance issues.
    With Exchange 2007 & 2010 microsoft added more capabilities to Active Sync. Which puts it closer to what BES can do in terms of security and has enough features satisfy all but the most stringent business needs. In other words for most businesses they don't need to use Blackberry's anymore and as businesses upgrade their exchange environments they will have the ability to switch away from being forced to use Blackberry and will have the freedom of choosing much better devices from other manufacturers.
    09-09-10 10:13 AM
    Another uneducated comment from our resident guru. Any one can install .214. Whether you're actually capable or allowed by your employer is another matter. Maybe you should go whine to your boss about your blackberry and demand something different, I doubt you have the Sac for that face to face though. As you apparently haven't suddenly become any smarter you're back on the ignore list. I can't read such idiocy.
    Obviously you don't no how IT environments work. If I were to install unofficial software on company devices I could be held accountable if things went wrong. Such as an unforseen bug that causes some issue which prevents employees from performing their job duties. Why would anybody want to put their job at risk for an unofficial OS upgrade? The right way to do it is to wait until an update is officially approved by our wireless carrier (AT&T) and it has been tested by our IT department to work in our enterprise environment.
    09-09-10 10:21 AM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD