Hey guys!

I'm about to go to the states and I really want a Torch.

Now I was wondering if I buy a Torch at an At&t store at the no-commitment price will it still be sim-locked to at&t ?

Or will I be able to just put any type of sim in it?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Shia
    10-31-10 07:30 AM
    As I've never needed to unlock a phone, I believe if you buy it here in the states from AT&T, it will be sim locked to AT&T. Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge of this will help.
    10-31-10 07:43 AM
    Yes it will be sim locked (just did what you're doing). Just get on ebay and get a .99c unlock code and your golden!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-10 07:55 AM
    Homer is correct, the device will still need to be carrier unlocked. Fortunately there are lot of unlocking companies right here on CB. The fee will be small and worth it to say the least.

/startofbuttkissingspeech
    And you can be sure that if using a company right here you will have no problems with waiting long times for the code to be received. Also their support here in the forums is almost immediate.
    /endofbuttkissingspeech
    10-31-10 08:00 AM
    ^^lol nice.

The guys on ebay offer a 15 minute or less guarantee 24/7. Or its free! Nothing against crackberry but they're overpriced.

10-31-10 08:06 AM
    Understandable. As long as the OP gets what they need when they need it.
    10-31-10 08:10 AM
    Thanks for the quick answers!!

I will be joining the Blackberry Torch brotherhood ASAP then

10-31-10 08:15 AM
    ^^ we welcome you! It truly is an amazing device! And the community here is great!

10-31-10 08:16 AM
    Note to the OP: Your main problem may be finding an AT&T store willing to sell the phone out of contract to a tourist. I know that in New York City they will often sell only to AT&T customers and certainly prefer a two-year activation or renewal as they they are much more profitable than outright sales. How much inventory they have may play a role too.
    10-31-10 10:01 AM
    you have to be customer/subcriber to AT&T to buy Torch at non commitment price. limit 2 percustomer
    i try every AT&T store here in philly and they wont sell me the phone for non commitment price.
    i give up and sign 2 year contract to get the torch.
    10-31-10 01:06 PM
    If I am not wrong AT&T uses different 3G band and if u use it out of STATES it won't work you will only be able to use EDGE

Plz can someone confirm this?

Coz I m not sure, I may be wrong!

10-31-10 01:35 PM
    If I am not wrong AT&T uses different 3G band and if u use it out of STATES it won't work you will only be able to use EDGE

Plz can someone confirm this?

Coz I m not sure, I may be wrong!

Depends on the city. Telus and Bell both now have HSPA networks that run the same band. Meaning, true 3G. If you roam on rogers you will only have edge. Both Telus and Bell have CDMA/HSPA networks with CDMA being phased out.

So no, it will work depending on the network you hook into. Unlock it and get a Telus or Bell Sim. Preferably Telus, I find Bell expensive
    10-31-10 01:50 PM
    Note to the OP: Your main problem may be finding an AT&T store willing to sell the phone out of contract to a tourist. I know that in New York City they will often sell only to AT&T customers and certainly prefer a two-year activation or renewal as they they are much more profitable than outright sales. How much inventory they have may play a role too.
    If the no commitment price is posted, they have no choice but to sell the device. This goes for any store on any carrier otherwise false advertisement claims can be made. GU devices are easy but CDMA devices cannot be easily unlocked.

10-31-10 02:18 PM
    If the no commitment price is posted, they have no choice but to sell the device. This goes for any store on any carrier otherwise false advertisement claims can be made.
    You may be right theoretically but when they refuse to sell, there isn't much you can do. I have personally witnessed people being refused the sale of a Torch out of contract in Manhattan AT&T stores. Someone else posted the same for another city in this thread. If the OP runs into the same situation, short of hiring a lawyer and suing the store or AT&T for false advertisement, he can always find solace knowing that he's right.
    11-01-10 10:30 PM
    Crapola. Confront them and ask for a manager.

11-01-10 10:34 PM
    I just walked into Bestbuy today and bought one no commitment. 499 plus tax. As far as unlocking i used Cellunlockers.net Charged me $7.99 but I have always used them and never had a problem. Guys if you can pay 500 for a phone an extra 8 bucks isn't gonna break you. I had my unlock code literally within 2 minutes. Also BestBuy give you a 20% discount on any accesories that you purchase with no commitment equipment.
    11-02-10 12:38 AM
    Neoflasher, would Bestbuy sell it to a new customer without the contract?
    11-02-10 01:13 AM
    Hey guys!

I'm about to go to the states and I really want a Torch.

Now I was wondering if I buy a Torch at an At&t store at the no-commitment price will it still be sim-locked to at&t ?

Or will I be able to just put any type of sim in it?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers

Shia

If you buy it from at&t it is sim locked. But if you explain the situation they'll call in for you & get you the unlock code for free. Don't pay someone to unlock it. I've called At&t 6 times for 6 different phones & they've given me the unlock codes for free, on the spot.
    11-02-10 01:30 AM
    Neoflasher, would Bestbuy sell it to a new customer without the contract?
    Yes they will. You can go to any 3rd party retail store & buy a phone at retail price, either Radioshack, Best buy, Dell...so on & so on. Even Amazon.
    11-02-10 01:32 AM
    I just walked into Bestbuy today and bought one no commitment. 499 plus tax. As far as unlocking i used Cellunlockers.net Charged me $7.99 but I have always used them and never had a problem. Guys if you can pay 500 for a phone an extra 8 bucks isn't gonna break you. I had my unlock code literally within 2 minutes. Also BestBuy give you a 20% discount on any accesories that you purchase with no commitment equipment.
    Next time just call At&t & ask them for it.
    11-02-10 01:33 AM
    I rathered BestBuy since the purchase counted towards my rewards points. They didn't even ask if I was with AT&T or not. As far as calling AT&T for what the unlock code? Guys if anyone can help. The only thing I don't have working is the tmo acct app. Anyone know how to get this to work?

11-02-10 01:51 AM
    You can also get the server settings from T-mobile. If it's already unlocked, Call T-mo & tell them you need the server settings. It should be the same as the BB9700. From there, go into you settings & change them. It should fix any bugs.
    11-02-10 02:04 AM
    Oh, I almost forgot. If that doesn't work. Call T-mo & ask for the settings. If tech support doesn't have them ask if they can transfer you to RIM. It wont count against your minutes & you wont get charged overages for calling Canada cause that's where they will transfer you to.
    11-02-10 02:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD