I have a Motorola Atrix and a Torch. I want to be able to switch the SIM card between the two phones every now and then. Will I be able to do this and still be able to get the data on the Torch?
    05-06-11 11:27 AM
    No, you won't. Because Blackberries use BIS and the Atrix just uses a regular internet data plan.. You'll have to call AT&T every time you want to switch phones..

I have the Atrix and tossed my BB out the window, don't know why you'd even wanna keep the torch, ha
    05-06-11 11:48 AM
    No, you won't. Because Blackberries use BIS and the Atrix just uses a regular internet data plan.. You'll have to call AT&T every time you want to switch phones..

I have the Atrix and tossed my BB out the window, don't know why you'd even wanna keep the torch, ha
    Negative.

You can use the both devices with the same sim cardn however you need to make the torch your "primary" device...

You will need to have a blackberry specific data plan (BIS) on our mobile account in order for the torch to function properly. Call your carrier and switch your plan, or just add on BIS if possible.

Once the torch is working properly, you can swap the sim to any other smartphone and use it as you normally would, it will use the same data...

I do this with my torch (bis accouunt / plan etc...) And swap my sim to an iPhone 3gs with no trouble @ all...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    watermon12 likes this.
    05-06-11 02:45 PM
    You can even get creative and stick the BB SIM in something like a GOBI and use your data plan on a PC. But, like cow tipping, it's only fun until you get caught.
    05-06-11 04:36 PM
    You can even get creative and stick the BB SIM in something like a GOBI and use your data plan on a PC. But, like cow tipping, it's only fun until you get caught.
    or you could just tether it, or use it as a Bluetooth modem... (depending if your carrier charges for tethering, mine sure doesn't)

That way you still have the device, and can just unplug and go, versys messing around with sim cards and usb adapters...
    05-06-11 04:39 PM
    Negative.

You can use the both devices with the same sim cardn however you need to make the torch your "primary" device...

You will need to have a blackberry specific data plan (BIS) on our mobile account in order for the torch to function properly. Call your carrier and switch your plan, or just add on BIS if possible.

Once the torch is working properly, you can swap the sim to any other smartphone and use it as you normally would, it will use the same data...

I do this with my torch (bis accouunt / plan etc...) And swap my sim to an iPhone 3gs with no trouble @ all...

Are you sure about this?
    05-07-11 09:41 AM
    Are you sure about this?
    Am I sure that I currently do this with my torch and my 3gs? Pretty sure, unless I was dreaming? No, yep, I'm sure...

The only difference between a blackberry data plan and a "smartphone" data plan is the BIS add-on... It is the same data connection from your carrier, but the blackberry routes through the BIS and then to the carrier, the smartphone goes straight to the carrier's data.

Here's my whole story. I broke my curve 8330 (cdma). My girlfriend gave me her iphone that she wasn'yt using. I went to the telus store and got a sim card. Switched my account online from the 8330 to the sim card. Put it in the iphone, used it for 4 months. When I got my torch, put the same sim card in, and everything blackberry worked again, even pushed my email accounts back to the device...

Now i swap back and forth from my torch to the iphone with no issues...

Therefore using a bb sim in any other smartphone will work fine, as long as you maintain the account with a blackberry data plan...

05-07-11 09:56 AM
    Thank you. I will try this out later today.
    micher likes this.
    05-07-11 10:20 AM
    I've been constantly switching between the torch and the samsung focus on ATT. I called ATT and asked if switching would affect anything and they said both phones will work perfectly as long as you leave your blackberry as your phone on the ATT wireless website and leave the BB data plan on. Under the BB data plan both phones will work, as soon as you switch to a smartphone data plan your blackberry won't work. DON'T worry if you have your sim in your atrix and check online to see that your phone has switched, that will happen and just check that your data should remain the blackberry data plan and all is good!
    watermon12 likes this.
    05-07-11 02:59 PM
    great info , hope it`s still current ! Speaking of which ...
    I`m planning to get a Blackberry , either z10 , Bold 9900 or torch 9810 and a Nokia 700 as backup , should work if I follow the guidelines above ? thanlks in advance ! BTw , my first post here lol !
    02-22-13 01:30 PM
    I have a Motorola Atrix and a Torch. I want to be able to switch the SIM card between the two phones every now and then. Will I be able to do this and still be able to get the data on the Torch?
    I use a BB9800 with BIS provisioned. I regularly swap the SIM between a SGNote, SGS2 and the Torch. My carrier provides unlimited BB email and data through Browser + 650 MB of data. I am mindful of the data use on the Android devices.

As indicated by the responses above, provided you still have BIS provisioned you shouldn't have a problem.
    02-24-13 02:43 PM
    I'm getting my q10 this afternoon, currently have a Note 3... can I use the Sim Card that's in my Note 3 in my BB Q10?

Thanks...
    11-12-14 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD