So i am thinking of switching from my iphone 3gs to a blackberry torch 9800. I like the email capabilities of the blackberry and the keyboard sounds way better than an iphones. touch screen is a great touch as well. I really dont have and gripes with the hardware of the phone. I dont really need a phone with a 1gh processor since i really only do email social networking and instant messaging whihc isnt really that tax heavy on any phone with 600 mhz. I can live without all the android customization also. Android is a good platform to be sure but i have heard the OS can be taxing on the battery which is something i dont want. I have a few questions though. How is the facebook and twitter app? Can you still upload photos and such? I dont care about watching videos on facebook at all really. Atleast on my phone. My other question is a bit more specific. I do alot of instant messaging on facebook, aim and msn. I use beejive for the iphone and loved it since the day i downloaded it. Does anyone know how this app works on the blackberry torch since i know this is a a faster os? if so i would like to hear someone speak on their experience. Also lets say i get an email attachment from someone as a word document. Do i have the option to save that to my phone. I do not have this feature on the iphone and having this feature would be great as well. My last question is i use my comcast email alot. Its my main email for fb and twitter and i other websites i have joined such as this one. Will this email account be in good use just fine on the blackberry? Thanks for everyones help.
    10-05-10 02:19 AM
    The Facebook app is sufficient for most things. It's good for light use (checking status updates, posting comments, pictures, etc), and for other things you can go to the full Facebook site (yes, it is possible to go to the full site).

I used Beejive too and as of right now there's no Torch app, but the latest version for the Storm 2 works just fine.

Attachments, with some exceptions, can be saved and viewed on the Torch. I'm not so sure about PDFs though. I've never actually tried with a PDF nor do I remember if that's part of the docs to go suite that comes on the Torch.

I'm not very familiar with comcast email, but it SHOULD work on the Torch.
    10-05-10 03:37 AM
    Facebook 1.8 is pretty fast and I like it a lot but sadly we still do not have have video upload... not really sure if there is an alternate out that will do that. Tweeter is the same from what I can see there is no video upload either. I think Iphone is the only one who has this right now since I have a friend who has an android and it wants her to upload to youtube. You can upload photo's really easy. I can take a picture, view it, hold down on the picture and send it right there. You can also choose where to upload it to and even tag as well.

---Edit: I forgot to mention there is an alternate way you can upload video's... I haven't tried it but it could work...

How to Upload Video To Facebook From Your Cell Phone | eHow.com

To receive messages from facebook you will have to download either BeeJive, IM+, Nimbuzz or Meebo. I can't really comment on them since I stopped using BeeJive/IM+ on my Bold 9000 since it would lockup my phone occasionaly. Like I said though it has been a year or so since I tried them.

Yes we have a program called Documents to Go which allows us to view documents, excel and power points. You can edit them (atleast for the word documents I have done this) and save them to either device memory or to your memory card.

When you setup your phone you have the option of creating a blackberry email account but also you can setup your personal email account as well. I have my AT&T email account (@att.blackberry.net) and my personal (@sbcglobal.net)/(@charter.net) all setup on my phone.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
    Last edited by jstarett; 10-05-10 at 03:45 AM. Reason: More Info
    10-05-10 03:38 AM
    The paid version of Documents to Go allows you to save PDFs as well.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-05-10 03:46 AM
    Just checked... tried to open a PDF file and it would not allow me to open it. I went to Documents To Go for BlackBerry Smartphones: Word, Excel and PowerPoint on your BlackBerry Smartphone and it seems you need to purchase a seperate app called PDF to Go
    10-05-10 03:56 AM
    Just checked... tried to open a PDF file and it would not allow me to open it. I went to Documents To Go for BlackBerry Smartphones: Word, Excel and PowerPoint on your BlackBerry Smartphone and it seems you need to purchase a seperate app called PDF to Go
    If a PDF gets sent to your email, you can open it from there (ie. from within the email program). If you wish to save the PDF and then open it seperately it won't work unless you buy a seperate application.
    10-05-10 04:50 AM
    If a PDF gets sent to your email, you can open it from there (ie. from within the email program). If you wish to save the PDF and then open it seperately it won't work unless you buy a seperate application.
    Again just tried and it does not recognize the format. I sent a test pdf from my personal pc email account to my blackberry email account
    10-05-10 04:58 AM
    Again just tried and it does not recognize the format. I sent a test pdf from my personal pc email account to my blackberry email account
    Hmmm...it works on all other blackberries. Can anyone else using the torch confirm this issue?
    Right now I have the Bold 9000 so I can try it out.

10-05-10 06:22 AM
    I've always been able to view PDF files on my Torch.

edit: I haven't added any viewers - I only have Word to Go (.doc) , Sheet to Go (.xls), and Slideshow to Go (.ppt). You may need to use BES to open PDF attachments.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 10-05-10 at 08:17 AM.
    10-05-10 08:09 AM
    I tried this the other day..sent myself a pdf format and it opened flawlessly. At first I thought it wasn't working because when I data transferred from my Storm to my Torch, it brought all my emails over, and when I checked an old email with a pdf file in it it wouldn't open it, so I thought something had changed. But I emailed a new file and it worked perfectly.
    10-05-10 08:14 AM
    Yes, you can open and read a PDF sent by email. Open the email and choose to open the attachment, not download attachment. I do it all the time on my Torch.
    10-05-10 09:09 AM
    It's possible he unloaded the Blackberry Attachment Service via Desktop Man. or on the device itself.
    10-05-10 10:40 AM
    I've always been able to view PDF files on my Torch.

edit: I haven't added any viewers - I only have Word to Go (.doc) , Sheet to Go (.xls), and Slideshow to Go (.ppt). You may need to use BES to open PDF attachments.
    I have viewed PDFs on my Torch and don't use BES, but BIS. I don't know if the underlying functions requires BIS to do any sort of proxy work, but it worked just fine with no tweaking for PDFs on my part.
    10-05-10 11:35 AM
    Try Repligo Reader app. It can be used to view PDF.
    10-05-10 12:15 PM
    To receive messages from facebook you will have to download either BeeJive, IM+, Nimbuzz or Meebo. I can't really comment on them since I stopped using BeeJive/IM+ on my Bold 9000 since it would lockup my phone occasionaly. Like I said though it has been a year or so since I tried them.
    I don't understand what you mean here. I view messages and I am sent alerts all the time from FB and do not use any of the programs listed above.

To the OP; I agree with above statements about PDF. I am able to open and view PDFs with no issue. My work also uses .tif a lor for some reason and I am able to open/view those as well.
    10-05-10 12:34 PM
    Yeah a good pdf reader is important. I actually have my resumes as pdfs and that would be good to send out from my phone if i have too as well. Currently i can save pdfs on my iphone in 2 apps but they are not very good if i want to synce them from my pc to my blackberry.

About the IM clients. According to the blackberry app store it says beejive will work with all devices. If anyone can download the 3 day trial and tell me how it is then that would be fantastic. If not dont sweat over it.
    10-05-10 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD