Hello Team Crackberry, Hope someone can give me some insight... I tried searching high and low, but can't seem to find any related posts...

In the top notification bar, where it usually has my carrier's name (network name), numbers appeared all of a sudden, replacing the network name with "302-880". When clicking on the 'connections area', under "manage connections", the 'mobile network' still said "TELUS". Earlier in the day, the opposite effect was happening... On the home screen, the mobile network said TELUS, but in the "manage connections" it was listed as 302-880...

I have never seen this before, and am more curious than anything. I also noticed my battery draining unusually fast, with no background apps etc...

Has anyone seen this, or anything similar?

I pulled the battery, and it seems normal now, and I did not have any service interruptions. I also had Wifi turned off as well, so it wasn't a wifi network... More strange than anything...

I have attached a screenshot as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Technical info for users on the mobile site:

Device Model: Torch 9800 (Unlocked. originally branded to TELUS)
    Carrier: TELUS Mobility

Thanks Team,

Cheers
    04-28-11 07:58 PM
    its most likely an issue with the network or the towers identification information. its something that you cannot control, as network tags/ID's are controlled by the tower or network itself. if it doesnt rectify or continues to happen, contact your carrier. they may have a network/tower issue.

FYI, 302 is your Mobile Country Code (Canada) and the 880 is the Mobile Network Code (Bell/Telus/SaskTel)

its just the technological identifier for your carrier versus the standard alpha tag.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 04-28-11 at 08:55 PM.
    tbrenn likes this.
    04-28-11 08:50 PM
    its most likely an issue with the network or the towers identification information. its something that you cannot control, as network tags/ID's are controlled by the tower or network itself. if it doesnt rectify or continues to happen, contact your carrier. they may have a network/tower issue.

FYI, 302 is your Mobile Country Code (Canada) and the 880 is the Mobile Network Code (Bell/Telus/SaskTel)

its just the technological identifier for your carrier versus the standard alpha tag.
    thanks for the info... much appreciated
    04-28-11 09:48 PM
    anytime....i learned that info from studying and deciphering network information in the engineering menu a ways back.
    04-28-11 09:54 PM
    great to know! i'd love to be able to understand the engineering screens more. so far all i have done is retrieved my MEP code...
    04-28-11 09:59 PM
    there are alot of network acronyms in there like MCC, RAN, UTRAN etc. just start googling away and you can learn what they mean and how they work. thats all i did.
    04-28-11 10:07 PM
    sweet! thanks a bunch
    04-28-11 10:08 PM
    the 302 is telus mcc (mobile country code), 880 is the mnc (mobile network code) 880 specifically is one shared by bell/telus etc.. this doesnt make any difference what so ever, its the same network whether it says telus in chars or with its network codes, although i dont know why this is happening. this also shouldnt drain your battery at any quicker speeds, that would depend on usage, rssi levels depending on what towers you connect to etc.. good way to study this is to find an app or use the engineering screen generator and watch the neighbor cell info

edit: haha im king obvious, didnt notice tbrens post at the top. my bad
    04-29-11 08:24 AM
    With CB we learn more each day... .
    so true, it's amazing what one can learn in here...
    04-29-11 08:26 AM
    I saw the same problem with a BB 9700 loaner I had while my Torch was being repaired. Thanks for the answer. It really was bugging me seeing as I had to keep managing my connections to turn my signal on and off so it would go back to saying Bell.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD