Hmm the Torch looks cool but how does it compare to the Storm2? Is the keyboard better than the sure press on the storm?
    08-23-10 01:20 PM
    its all a matter of personal preference. I prefer the surepress of the S2 but the Torch is a really nice device. To each there own.
    08-23-10 01:24 PM
    The physical kb is better, naturally, but the virtual kb on the storm2 is far better than the torch virtual kb imo. I like surepress, I know i'm in the minority.
    08-23-10 01:25 PM
    Two totally different phones. I've owned the Storm 2. The Torch is an overall WAY better phone IMO. Took awhile to not try to press on the screen on the Torch. The new OS is very nice too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 01:27 PM
    Storm2 is not OS 6 compatible and is touch only. It does offer two things though that the 9800 doesn;t...OpenGL and SurePress. Oh yeah, and it has Verizon!

The Torch has OS 6 and a physical keyboard(which YES, is better for typing than SurePress), but lacks OpenGL, SurePress, and Verizon.

You need to decide what your priorities are and go to the stores to try them both. I don't think anyone here can decide for you. Personally, I could never give up OpenGL now because I've become too addicted to Tank Recon 3D...lol!

Just a note that there is supposedly an OS 6 capable Storm coming in about two months, but details are thin. All we know is more memory and the 5 MP camera is supposed to be included. No word on processor changes, etc.
    08-23-10 01:29 PM
    if you live in the US, i don't think you really have a choice... for now..
    Storm is carried by Verizon
    Torch is carried by AT&T for now.

so unless you're planning on switching/signing up with a new carrier...
    others have pointed the obvious difference..
    i'd like to stress how the touchscreen in the torch is like the touchscreen of most phones.. iphone, droid, samsung etc..
    while that of Torch.. there's a feedback "click" when you touch.. sort of a confirmation that you actually click on a key.
    08-23-10 01:30 PM
    Storm2 is not OS 6 compatible and is touch only. It does offer two things though that the 9800 doesn;t...OpenGL and SurePress. Oh yeah, and it has Verizon!

The Torch has OS 6 and a physical keyboard(which YES, is better for typing than SurePress), but lacks OpenGL, SurePress, and Verizon.

You need to decide what your priorities are and go to the stores to try them both. I don't think anyone here can decide for you. Personally, I could never give up OpenGL now because I've become too addicted to Tank Recon 3D...lol!

Just a note that there is supposedly an OS 6 capable Storm coming in about two months, but details are thin. All we know is more memory and the 5 MP camera is supposed to be included. No word on processor changes, etc.
    I made a topic.and it looks like the Storm2 refresh has the same guts but more ram to support OS6.
    08-23-10 01:34 PM
    I have used Storm 2 for few months and then swapped to Onyx for another few months, and now I’m back with Storm 2 again.
    Yesterday, I almost pull a plunge on the Torch. I went to a local store and had a chance to play around for � hour, but ended up disappointed with the Torch.
    1. Torch screen was basically washed out lacking of contrast compared to my Storm 2. The black looked grayish on the Torch.
    2. Touchscreen keyboard was lagging. I could type over 50words per minute with Storm 2, however with Torch touchscreen, there were so many characters were missed. I didn’t experience this with the iphone nor Storm 2. I couldn’t even type “hihihihihihi” at a fast speed with the Torch. It would end up with something like ”Hhhhiiiihihi” I have tried to reduce the tap interval to the lowest but didn’t help.

The thumb keyboard was great though, but it is really annoying since coming from Storm 2, I was expecting the screen typing to be at least on par with the iphone or storm 2 in terms of accuracy.
    Torch speed was impressive though coming from Storm 2. It was snappier.
    08-23-10 08:54 PM
    Roger has just released a new OS for Torch 6.0.0.246 and it improved the virtual keyboard dramatically. You can actually type as fast as you can without missing a character. I would say very comparable to iphone now.

AWESOME TORCH!!
    10-06-10 10:35 AM
    Surepress is totally personal preference. Other than that you have the hard keyboard anyways.

10-06-10 12:20 PM
    I came from a Storm2 (unlocked on Rogers):

- SurePress made typing on the virtual keyboard of the Storm2 much easier. However, the physical keyboard can't be beat. Typing with SureType also isn't that bad without SurePress. Another plus side is that it's a lot more silent without the clicking of the screen.
    - The Storm2 vibrate was my least favourite aspect of the phone. It was really loud and rather weak. The Torch has an actual vibration motor that works great.
    - OS6 is a whole other can of worms.
    - This is more applicable to those using the Storm2 on EDGE, but I'd have BIS drop on me depending on what app I tried to use. Restarting the phone means I have to wait another few minutes after it boots for full connectivity (some weird service books issue).
    - This is one of the main reasons why I picked up the Torch: the TrackPad! It is an absolute godsend, making browsing far easier with the super smooth cursor. Cursor mode on the S2 just didn't cut it. The cursor was really choppy and would sometimes skip right over links. It improved with later OS builds though.
    - There's one last perk I can think of. Sliding out the keyboard locks the accelerometer and prevents the phone from going landscape. This was very handy for web surfing in bed. I had a tilt lock function via quicklaunch on the S2, but having to constantly lock and unlock windows was a pain.

Overall, other than the lack of SurePress, which is more than compensated for with the TrackPad and physical keyboard, the Torch is a superior device in every way except battery life (unless I were to set the Torch to 2G to match the S2).

10-06-10 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD