I have only ever used a touchscreen Berry - Stprm 1 and now Storm 2. Hated the clicking at first, but now with .713 the softer clicking works well for me.

Have played briefly with my brother's Torch the physical keyboard seems weird to me. Keys seem small, getting at alternate characters (like periods) is awkward, and I keep making mistakes. Yet other love it - including my brother, who has fat fingers.

And I haven't tried the touch screen keyboard but from playing with a friend's iPhone a touch with no click seems fine for typing, but I like the click concept when browsing. She said with no "click" she does sometimes select a URL unintentionally and has to use the Back key.

So the physical keyboard for typing and the non-click touch screen for browsing both seem a bit "off" for me.

I know I could buy a Torch and return it within 30 days if I can't get used to it, but between the time and $ involved I would appreciate feedback from those who have gone through this before I make the leap. I'm also thinking I may hold onto my Storm 2 until a 'real" Storm 3 comes out - though I'd vastly prefer the stability people get with OS6. Unfortunately I'm one of those who still have problems with OS5, even at .713.

Anyway, any thoughts from former Storm/Storm 2 owners, ideally those who had been using .713 and hadn't experienced a physical keyboard before using the Storm? Did you get used to the physical keyboard? How long did it take/how tough was it? Did you get used to losing your "click" for browsing or typing on the touch screen? How long did it take? Was it tough? Do you miss it for browsing?

Thanks - R.
    10-25-10 03:07 PM
    I had a storm 1 and went to a bb bold 9700 then the torch but I get what your saying. You eventually adapt to the typing and it is a bit of a learning curve but I can say I type better on this then I even did my S1. It has 2 on screen keyboards as well (portrate and landscape) so you can have the onscreen minus the click sensation. You really got to test and see. I think it would be a good move since we don't know when the S3 is coming or are you talking about the S2.5 refresh ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 03:22 PM
    I've been using a Storm2 since January. Honestly, I love the surepress technology. Recently I picked up a Torch. My wife has an iphone with AT&T and loves it. I stayed with Verizon and my S2. In an attempt to merge our bill again I tried and to some extent love the Torch. The touch keypad takes a bit of getting used to and I feel (for the moment) that surepress is better for me. The physical keyboard works well, I feel the ones found on the 9700, 9000 and old curves were among the very best and are hard o beat.

I must admit though, the Torch is a very addictive Berry. I'm quite torn.
    10-25-10 03:58 PM
    I went directly from Storm 1 (.764 or something like that) to a Torch (.246 - won't upgrade to new OS yet because it doesn't have Japanese input).

At first the keyboard terrified me on the Torch - the keys looked so small and I was afraid I'd mash them all at once. When I bought the device I opened up MemoPad and started practicing. A day later and I was a pro. The secondary keys (periods, commas, etc) are easy when you get used to it. The symbols are a little harder but then they were never easy on Storm.

I tend to use the physical keyboard more than the virtual, even though I type faster on the latter. It feels nicer and more natural to me.

Other than that I will only go back to a Storm-style phone (actually... My Storm 1) if my Torch has problems and needs repairs. So far I have had absolutely zero so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (or one of the silent majority, who knows).

I browse with the touch screen closed and type longer things with the physical keyboard. I aim on the net and whatnot (IE: small fields to input things) with the trackpad. Honestly, the ONLY thing I'd choose from my S1 over the Torch is the fastening of the back battery cover. I'd prefer it have a clip in the bacl rather than slide in only...but I digress. I don't miss the click-screen one bit. This seems more natural and you still get the "hover" or "touch" by not just tapping the screen.

Honestly, OP, it was a fantastic switch for me and I love everything about my Torch. I say give it a whirl...

But you don't have to take my word for it (*duh duh duuuhhh*)

10-25-10 04:07 PM
    Missed the "confirmation" you get from surepress but got over it quickly. Got used to the Torch keyboard in less than a day. Try it out. I think you'll really enjoy it.

10-25-10 04:14 PM
    I try never to use the virtual keyboard. it's a pain for a lot of reasons. I don't think it's better than the Storm2 keyboard. In the end, the beauty of the Torch is the real keyboard.
    10-25-10 09:37 PM
    The portrait keyboard is actually quite intuitive when you start using it in regards to picking up your words. I get it half a**ed right and it will pick up what I was attempting to do. I do not find landscape the best, I seem to miss more words that way which was odd when I had the S1 it was the opposite. I wonder why they never used suretype technology in the portrait mode...
    10-25-10 09:54 PM
    The storm2 still has a superior touchscreen keyboard. The only advantage of the Torch one is that it's silent. I'm slightly slower and more prone to errors with the SureType keyboard overall. However, the physical keyboard makes it more than worth giving up SurePress.

10-25-10 09:56 PM
    I'm slightly slower and more prone to errors with the SureType keyboard overall.
    I think you mean the SureType portrait keyboard. I opted for the full Qwerty in portrait, as I have barely any time put in on SureType's before. (Just from playing with business partner's Pearl.)

It is a tricky virtual keyboard in portrait, and if I don't want errors then I go ridiculously slow. I started realizing there was no point and just opening the actual keyboard.

On landscape, I don't mind the touchscreen keyboard at all.
    10-25-10 10:34 PM
    I went directly from Storm 1 (.764 or something like that) to a Torch (.246 - won't upgrade to new OS yet because it doesn't have Japanese input).
    Off-topic, but if you search the CB Forums you'll be able to find a how-to guide for dropping the EastAsian languages into a Multilanguage build. Just saying, in case you weren't aware it was a possibility at all.
    10-25-10 10:39 PM
    I'm also thinking I may hold onto my Storm 2 until a 'real" Storm 3 comes out
    Many (I think most) of the Storm3 rumours have it being a standard touchscreen like the Torch, iPhone, etc, and NOT a SurePress device.

No way to know, especially when they can't even decide when they're releasing the next Storm or refresh model...

I think you'll love the Torch, not based on my own experience as I'm coming from a non-touchscreen background, but based on all the positive Torch reviews I've read from former Storm owners over the last while.

And if you ever decide to switch back, the reality is you'll be able to pick up a Storm 1 or 2 for a reasonable amount used, and be able to sell your Torch for much more than that.
    10-25-10 10:44 PM
    I think you mean the SureType portrait keyboard. I opted for the full Qwerty in portrait, as I have barely any time put in on SureType's before. (Just from playing with business partner's Pearl.)

It is a tricky virtual keyboard in portrait, and if I don't want errors then I go ridiculously slow. I started realizing there was no point and just opening the actual keyboard.

On landscape, I don't mind the touchscreen keyboard at all.
    I used the SureType keyboard almost exclusively on the Storm2. It was far more one-hand friendly than the full keyboard. Even on the Torch, there are plenty of times I prefer to use SureType over the full keyboard. Maybe I'm eating chips with my right hand or something...

10-26-10 01:00 AM
    I can type faster on the portrait virtual keyboard on the torch then I could on the storm. I don't use the real keyboard much but it is nice when you are typing something long as you can then see the full screen and still have the keyboard.
    10-26-10 08:09 AM
    I never use the physical keyboard the virtual one is phenomenal I think you will be pleased

10-26-10 09:20 AM
    Took less than a day to adjust after coming from a S2.

My biggest issue was that I was used to touching the screen to highlight and clicking to select. On the Torch as soon as you touch it selects (eg highlighting an email to delete as I was used to on the S2 would open it on the Torch). Once I started using the trackpad instead it was all gravy!

I loved surepress, but the Torch is by far the best BB ever.
    10-26-10 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD