Selling my storm for 140$ and now I have a dilemma; get a torch of iphone 4. I love the idea of a touch screen coupled with a physical keyboard along with the messaging capabilities of the torch. On the other hand the iphone offers a lot more in terms of multimedia capabilities along with its beautiful screen.

The thing that worries me about the torch is the fact that a friend of mine who got it on launch says it seems flimsy and unstable as well as exhibiting lag/freezing when scrolling through messages etc.

The iphone 4 has its problems which include the antenna issues and the rumors about a mid-life refresh in early 2011.

Decisions decisions
    11-11-10 09:49 PM
    Isn't it obvious?
    11-11-10 10:02 PM
    Go for the Torch.. I've been running the new and leaked OSes and the device is superb. The only instance in which i've experienced "lag" is when i've installed apps that havent been updated for use on the new OS. As far as i4, the antenna problem is a hardware issue which is a lot worse than minor software bugs/lag (especially considering it is a brand new OS, and bugs happen but are fixed.)
    11-11-10 11:27 PM
    The best bet for you is to go into the store and test drive both. Personally, I went through 4 Torches trying to find one that was issue-free and was never successful. In my opinion the Torch is just a poorly built device with an OS that is not quite ready yet.

I made the switch from Blackberry to iPhone and have been very happy with the move. The e-mail handling is on par, at least in my eyes, with Blackberry now since they added Exchange support. E-mails are now pushed immediately to the device. It is a solidly built device. The hardened glass exterior with the steel band just felt more solid than the plastic that RIM used on the Torch (to me the build quality is a noticeable step down from the 9000 and 9700). As far as the two concerns you listed, I have had no real issues with the signal on the device. I also wouldn't expect to see a refresh of the iPhone before the normal end of June timeframe. Apple is not generally one to go out and change the dates on their product cycle.

In the end though it all comes down to which device suits you best. I made a list of the pros and cons of each and for me the i4 came out on top.
    11-11-10 11:48 PM
    I concur with your friend, I was all set to get the Torch for the AT&T account (a member in the household has AT&T) but the flimsiness and the cheapness of the cover that encompasses the send, menu, back and cancel keys felt cheap and simply appeared to be glued on was a big turn off since it looked to me like the phone would not hold up under normal use.

I wound up choosing the iPhone 4 for that member. I love Blackberry very much but I have to tell you folks something, Apple is second to none when it comes to warranty work. This phone had charging issues during the first month and it was taken back to the Apple store and 20 mins later I was out and about with a refurb iPhone 4. The refurb looked like it was brand new. In fact all iPhones that I have had to have replaced in the past were replaced by a refurb that looked brand new. I was under warranty for a year and could buy a second year of warranty (called Apple care) for $69 which paid for itself quickly.

One of the things I look for when I buy a phone is how well the warranty part is. After all if I just forked over $300-$600 for a phone then I want to be very sure if the phone craps out 3 months later via a internal defect that I get a replacement that is in as good condition as my old one.

I wish RIM would have world class warranty work and stand behind their products like Apple
    11-12-10 12:00 AM
    My Torch is very solid with no hardware or software issues. Even so, it is a slider phone. Slider phones, by their very nature, are more prone to hardware issues than a brick or candybar form phone with no major moving components. In other words, if you're concerned about flimsiness, you may want to consider a Bold or Curve, or even the Style, as opposed to the Torch. You'll just have to make due with the smaller screen. Of course, with the iPhone, you obviously have to make due without a TrackPad and keyboard, an instant deal-breaker for me (and always will be).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-10 03:12 AM
    Torch hands down the best phone of the two (since you're prior BB, that usually means you aren't a media w hore). jmo

11-12-10 03:20 AM
    I like to use the quote that we always "listen what we want to hear". If you are coming to a BB torch forum to ask what to get we will tell you the torch.

Im sure if you post (if you did not already) the same question on a Iphone forum they will tell you the same, get a Iphone.

It's all about what you are looking for. I have a Ipod Touch, for games, gym, time-wasting on the train, etc... BB is much better for daily get s*** done.

Good luck,
    AP
    11-12-10 03:31 AM
    Apple will never be able to totally match the secure communcations platform and multi-tasking capabilities as well as great battery life with a decent browser, processor and screen resolution in a total package. The i4 is a great device with a faster processor and browser as well as retinal display. It is a great entertainment device.

I have had the Torch since launch and the build is solid. I went and tested it in the store with the i4 and the Captivate. I realized that secure messaging and multi-tasking with great battery life were more important. I never experienced the OS or hardware issues but have updated to OS .246. The Torch works even better.

I also tested my Torch before I left the store. Anyone who did not deserved what they got. The physical keyboard is the best RIM keyboard compared to the 9700, 9000 and 8310 that I have owned. It is also important not to get to lost in the specs. The RIM OS makes maximum use of its hardware. As others have mentioned, go in the store and give the Torch, the Windows, the i4 and the Captivate a good thrashing to decide which one on an overall basis meets your needs.

11-12-10 05:01 AM
    I figure I'll give the torch a try and if I'm not satisfied then I will return it before the 15 day refund period.
    11-14-10 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD