Hi guys,

My first post and regretfully its a negative one. I'm a Canadian who bought the 9800 for full pop when I was in New York about 2 weeks ago. Everything is working quite well, aside from the somewhat loose/wobbly screen when slid open. It's not horrible, but its IS annoying when I push any of the buttons when the phone is open.

Had I bought this from Rogers like all my previous BB's, I would just call customer service and they would replace the device like usual.

I have read the complaints from other users. I am wondering just how common this is? Does anyone have a screen that is totally solid when open?

Finally and most important, does RIM have a warranty that is NOT thought the carrier? Wondering if I could contact them and have them replace the device. Has anyone done this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    09-18-10 02:52 PM
    When you press the four buttons by the trackpad does your Torch wiggle? My Torch has the same problem. I ended up fixing it with a piece of paper in between the two pieces. It's not an elegant fix, but it worked. I wouldn't do it again though, because i constantly worry about the harm it might do in the long run. I'm about to get a replacement torch for my recently damaged one so I hope that ones better. I was at my local corporate AT&T store the other day and those Torches were solid and perfect.

If I remember reading it correctly, RIM only handles warranties, repairs, and certain hardware support issues only if you purchased your Blackberry directly from them.

I hope you find a solution for all our sakes. It's not a terrible problem, but it certainly is nerve wracking.
    09-18-10 03:41 PM
    Hi guys,

My first post and regretfully its a negative one. I'm a Canadian who bought the 9800 for full pop when I was in New York about 2 weeks ago. Everything is working quite well, aside from the somewhat loose/wobbly screen when slid open. It's not horrible, but its IS annoying when I push any of the buttons when the phone is open.

Had I bought this from Rogers like all my previous BB's, I would just call customer service and they would replace the device like usual.

I have read the complaints from other users. I am wondering just how common this is? Does anyone have a screen that is totally solid when open?

Finally and most important, does RIM have a warranty that is NOT thought the carrier? Wondering if I could contact them and have them replace the device. Has anyone done this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Interesting. Mine is rock-solid when it's open, but the display teeters just slightly when it's closed. It seems to be most noticeable in landscape, with a thumb on each side. Not bad, and since I usually only hold it that way wasting time playing games and I don't notice it at all straight up-and-down, I can live with it.
    09-18-10 04:30 PM
    When you press the four buttons by the trackpad does your Torch wiggle? My Torch has the same problem. I ended up fixing it with a piece of paper in between the two pieces. It's not an elegant fix, but it worked. I wouldn't do it again though, because i constantly worry about the harm it might do in the long run. I'm about to get a replacement torch for my recently damaged one so I hope that ones better. I was at my local corporate AT&T store the other day and those Torches were solid and perfect.

If I remember reading it correctly, RIM only handles warranties, repairs, and certain hardware support issues only if you purchased your Blackberry directly from them.

I hope you find a solution for all our sakes. It's not a terrible problem, but it certainly is nerve wracking.
    Yup, that's my issue. Makes an otherwise solid phone feel dinky and I hate it, especially since I paid full price which I never do.

Makes me wish I had just waited another month for the Canadian release.

Any other opinions are appreciated
    09-18-10 05:36 PM
    Well I've had 5 torch's since it was released. They all start out solid then eventually get a wobble while either open or closed. After all the replacements I finally just learned to tame my ocd and deal with it - its a slider phone - a moving part - so eventually, no matter what, something will begin to wobble. That's just how it is unfortunately. Oh and my last one I tried sticking paper in to fix the wobble - and it worked, but then got jammed in the sliding mechanism and totally screwed up smooth slide feeling. So I wouldn't recommend that. I'd imagine sometime in the future, some company will be smart and come up with a fix - like a thin foam - with tested instructions on installing the fix so that it won't screw anything up and will look like it belongs there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 08:25 PM
    I too have a slight wobble on the upper deck. It bothered me at first, but I have learned to hold the phone with my thumb spanning the upper and lower parts.

Just a slight bit of pressure on the side of the phone with my left thumb (while holding the phone in my left hand) makes it feel completely solid while tapping, scolling, etc. with my right hand.
    Last edited by WilsongsX; 09-22-10 at 12:34 AM.
    09-22-10 12:31 AM
    The 9800 seems like an awesome phone, but this potential issue is the reason why I elected not to get one. It would drive me insane to have a wobbly screen on my phone. But it is something you have to expect. I have yet to see a slider that didn't have a wobbly screen. That and the virtual keyboard. I just had a bad experience with my Evo having keyboard lag. I hate that almost as much as I would a wobbly screen.

09-22-10 02:15 AM
    After three exchanges, two of which were for wobble (the first an open and closed wobble, the second just an open wobble), I've learned to live with the slight wobble that developed about a week after I got the last Torch. It's really only noticeable if I push on the lower left corner of the open slider, but there's no reason to do that other than to make it wobble it a bit -- so it's an OCD issue for me, really.
    09-22-10 07:04 AM
    I wonder what they do with all the "defected" torches you guys send back. My torch has a wobble both open and closed. Its charming in that regard

09-22-10 10:32 AM
    Mine does too, i also bought it full pop when it was released...i wondering how good best buy is with warranty.....
    09-22-10 10:37 AM
    i got ym torch from day 1 relesae and i have a horrible screen wiggle.. its bad and has gotten worse after i dropped the phone one day. does anyone know if go to a warrany ATT store. will they replace it for me on the spot. i heard its easy as long as therer is no water damager or sticker damage or bad body damage. any suggestions?
    09-26-10 12:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD