I am one who every morning checks engadget crackberry and a few other blogs. On a daily basis I see Android, iPhone, Samsung, HTC... on their news sections boasting a new product or a secret one that nobody has heard about.

I feel like crackberry used to be that way about BB's, but with NO news at all seems to grasp onto anything. I feel like the progression of BB is kind of done. The Slider seems like the crown jewel to BB and is the best it will ever get. IIts becoming apparent they dont want to compete with Android and iOS - BB has a very strong crowd in the business world and very loyal following.

With that being said what kind of concept phone do you see? BB (in my opinion) will never get away from their idea of their needs to be a usable physical keyboard somewhere on the device (storm has a responsive touchsreen not true touch). Do you see BB doing something totally out of the box in the future or just refining the curve, bold, storm and slider. Seems like that could be their lineup for a long time coming.
    07-09-10 07:02 PM
    Did you read about the rumours of the Storm 3?

I think the Slider is exciting as it is way different then what they do, they are showing something different risking the keyboard on a weird shaped device.

AND I am on the Rim side that a keyboard Is physically needed on my phone, I do not, want touch screens only, RIM is filling a need in the market that neither Apple, nor Driod currently do, and the old form factor isn't sexy. sexy is new, that is the nature of sexy.
    07-09-10 07:49 PM
    What would be wrong with just making better what they already have? The BB Slider - my opinion mind you and yes I'm aware of how opinions work LOL - is the best of both touchscreen & physical worlds. As for physical keyboards, so many people still insist upon them it's really out of necessity that BB would continue to supply. And while the Storm is awesome, the keyboard is still missing a few shortcuts that traditional keyboards tote. I have a Storm2 9550 and I love it, so I'm not knocking it at all. About the only thing BB could do is add Adobe Flash support without us having to pay an arm and a leg for it.
    07-09-10 08:21 PM
    All seems fine to me. My needs from a phone aren't changing as rapidly as Android seems to be changing.

Superfluous developments are not important. RIM appear to be doing the right thing by respecting their core of users who rely on them to deliver exceptional messaging devices.

Many people rely on their phone for work and couldn't care less about all the perceived extraneous functionality that seems to get some folks knickers in such a twist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 09:12 PM
    [QUOTE=deRusett;5331343]Did you read about the rumours of the Storm 3?

I think the Slider is exciting as it is way different then what they do, they are showing something different risking the keyboard on a weird shaped device.[QUOTE]

When I saw this part of the post the first thing that went through my head was "not as weird as this"

AND I am on the Rim side that a keyboard Is physically needed on my phone, I do not, want touch screens only, RIM is filling a need in the market that neither Apple, nor Driod currently do, and the old form factor isn't sexy. sexy is new, that is the nature of sexy.
    My S2 still turns heads. Earlier today I was even asked if it was the new Bold. That gave me pause, as this individual was holding a Tour.
    And you're correct, there are more than a couple people out there that want a physical keyboard and will buy nothing that doesn't have one. The slider may catch their attention, as the rumored S3 is for the touchscreen only crowd. My wife wouldn't even look at a BlackBerry until she saw the Pearl Flip, the clamshell is something she's interested in.
    I'm thinking there's more people that just "go to the store" or order online than watch Crackberry and other sites like a hawk; RIM's got enough diversity on designs to cover the bases. How it runs and how people deal with device problems will determine whether they actually keep it or return it for another :P
    07-09-10 09:34 PM
    I think a usable keyboard is what makes a BB a BB. If everybody wanted just a pure touchscreen then that's all the market would have by now but some of us love having real buttons to push that's not landscape style like the Droid.

07-10-10 12:35 AM
    [QUOTE=genomos;5331583]
    ... RIM's got enough diversity on designs to cover the bases. ...
    Bingo!
    RIM offers a variety that Apple (one phone) and Android (only touch screens) do not.
    RIM makes keyboard phones (Bold), touch screen phones (Storm), and a combination of both (slider). There's something for everyone.
    07-10-10 12:41 AM
    RIM ain't done. They got a solid business base and it's not going anywhere. Also I think they will improve, even if it takes longer. /thread
    07-10-10 12:52 AM
    This is just my opinion. I really don't see what the big deal is about the Android phones. I have owned 3 of them and the only advantage that I see a bigger screen, and a better browser. I went back to my BB because I can see it much better in the sunlight, I like the OS better, it is faster to work with and I can use it with one hand. The BB seems to get better reception, better battery life and is just a faster working phone. When BB gets the better browser it will do everything that I want with a phone. I think that most of what people want can be done with software. If VZ would ever get the Slider, I would be all over it. This phone fills all of the gaps that I can see. IMHO
    Last edited by CSI Guy; 07-10-10 at 11:36 AM.
    07-10-10 11:34 AM
    I keep thinking people are expecting a super computer gaming console that makes phone calls and only needs to be charged once a week. It's a phone (that just happens to do a lot more).

Take a moment, grab your old RAZR and spend a week without everything a smart phone does.

Personally, other than the browser, my Tour pretty much has everything I need from my BlackBerry. I can see bumping up to the Bold 9650 soon, or even going to a 98xx (if/when they come out with the CDMA counterpart). We already know new models are coming soon, as well as BB6. I'm interested to see what the future holds.
    07-10-10 02:16 PM
    [QUOTE=Jake Storm;5331685]

Bingo!
    RIM offers a variety that Apple (one phone) and Android (only touch screens) do not.
    RIM makes keyboard phones (Bold), touch screen phones (Storm), and a combination of both (slider). There's something for everyone.
    Android has several models with slide out full QWERTY keyboards, including:

Motorola: Droid, Backflip, Cliq
    Samsung: Moment, Intercept
    LG: Ally, Eve
    HTC: Mytouch Slide

(Thats all I can pull off the top of my head) And more (including candybar style full QWERTY models) are on the way.
    07-10-10 03:31 PM
    RIM isn't done and never will be... Or at least for the next ten years or more. Too many loyal users in the business sector.

The cutting edge, top of the line sector is what is in question. Many of us want a top notch product but are giving RIM every chance imaginable... And are showing great patience in doing so. However, that being said, the least RIM could do is show some courtesy and just come clean on whether or not they care to compete in that field so those of us looking for tier one products can move on.

rumors of a storm 3 don't cut it. Its July now; word just came down that the slider which is well known now won't even be out until November at the earliest. Given rim's record of missing stated deadlines, no way a new device would be out by year's end that would compete with Droid or Iphone.

07-10-10 03:57 PM
    Is this the best that RIM can do? No. Is this the best that RIM wants to do? Yes.
    07-10-10 04:03 PM
    BlackBerry will probably never lose. It's got so much momentum it's not even funny.
    Find me another website/forum devoted to one manufacturer where the userbase that checks the site everyday and is engaged in forums is as big as this. That shows me that there are tons of people out there that love their BB's, myself included. I also love the I can go on these forums and search a question I might have, and have an answer within 10 minutes. I also like that most tips that are posted are usable across the entire line of phones.

My first smartphone was the Samsung Blackjack, then the Palm Treo II. I got my BB and I'll never go back. When I was in the store deciding, it was between my Bold 9000 or the 3GS. I went with the Bold because iPhones are so overrated and, to me, childish. I wanted a phone that would do everything I needed it to do without question, be secure, and allow me to personalize every aspect. I can do that with my BlackBerry, and thats something I'll never give up.
    07-10-10 05:21 PM
    Is there any way to move this thread to the one for the 9800?
    07-10-10 05:35 PM
    Is there any way to move this thread to the one for the 9800?

It's not specifically about the 9800 though, it's about RIM's capability to stay on their game and continue making quality, tech-advanced devices.
    07-10-10 05:43 PM

Android has several models with slide out full QWERTY keyboards, including:

Motorola: Droid, Backflip, Cliq
    Samsung: Moment, Intercept
    LG: Ally, Eve
    HTC: Mytouch Slide

(Thats all I can pull off the top of my head) And more (including candybar style full QWERTY models) are on the way.
    The keyboard on the Cliq is ok... but I'll stick with my 8520. I just don't like that kind of keyboard...
    07-10-10 06:34 PM
    The best they can or will ever do? I seriously doubt it. It's funny though how many negative comments I read on here about a phone that hasn't even been released yet. Who knows what else they have in the works.
    07-10-10 08:27 PM
    ... Who knows what else they have in the works.
    I think RIM is pretty good at keeping new projects under wraps. I believe all the leaks we are seeing for the 9800 and OS6 have been planned.
    I also believe that the Storm3 is a lot further along than a lot of people realize.
    Everyone is distracted by rumours of the 9800 and RIM is going to come along and BAM! Here's the Storm3, on schedule one year after the Storm2 release.
    07-10-10 08:39 PM
    A slider is not the best RIM can do. I heard they are releasing a phone in the next year or so that will print money, build your dream home, wax your car, make phone calls, read the almighty internet, have a battery (mini nuke power plant) that never needs charging, stay socially connected to every social site, let you vote, provides medical care, can sail a boat, knows where all members of al quieda are, can hunt and fish, has a fold out screen that is 54" in size, a 20 core cpu running at 2 gajillion mhz, has infinite ram and storage, comes in pretty colors, has a belt clip or holster, can store every picture or song you have, video streaming that never pauses, a webkit browser, tail fins, curb feelers, runs a version of linux, and can project a hologram of it's owner so you can nap at work, and it will only cost $50 and have a low monthly fee. /sarcasm.

Are you serious? That slider is what I want. I prefer a real keyboard and always will. There are many like me who think the slider is perfect. If you think the slider is the best they can do, which suggests you think there is more or better, well then go for it and report back to us that your found the Grail of smartphones.

07-11-10 01:56 PM
    A slider is not the best RIM can do. I heard they are releasing a phone in the next year or so that will print money, build your dream home, wax your car, make phone calls, read the almighty internet, have a battery (mini nuke power plant) that never needs charging, stay socially connected to every social site, let you vote, provides medical care, can sail a boat, knows where all members of al quieda are, can hunt and fish, has a fold out screen that is 54" in size, a 20 core cpu running at 2 gajillion mhz, has infinite ram and storage, comes in pretty colors, has a belt clip or holster, can store every picture or song you have, video streaming that never pauses, a webkit browser, tail fins, curb feelers, runs a version of linux, and can project a hologram of it's owner so you can nap at work, and it will only cost $50 and have a low monthly fee. /sarcasm.

Are you serious? That slider is what I want. I prefer a real keyboard and always will. There are many like me who think the slider is perfect. If you think the slider is the best they can do, which suggests you think there is more or better, well then go for it and report back to us that your found the Grail of smartphones.

Without question one of the best posts I have read on here...bravo!

07-11-10 02:12 PM
    When big red gets the slider, I'm all over it. It looks f'ing awesome. Haters gonna hate.

07-11-10 11:07 PM
    Apparently many in the consumer industry and analysts both believe the slider is indicative of the "best RIM can do", when you consider their market share diving from 50% to 35% and the stock price being beat down.... Then you consider the latest rumor that this slider will not be coming out until November at the earliest.... One has to ask if RIM is losing employees too.

07-12-10 08:59 AM
    ...market share diving from 50% to 35%
    Where are you pulling those numbers from?
    07-12-10 11:13 AM
    Where are you pulling those numbers from?
    same place cottonelle targets for business.
    07-12-10 12:42 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD