I'm interested in buying a BlackBerry Torch 9800. I'm just wondering if there is anyway I can use Skype or Yahoo Messenger? Does Yahoo Messenger have free voice calls like in Skype?
    01-25-11 07:14 PM
    Presently to my knowledge skype is not available for the Torch on AT&T. I believe that it may be availble on some blackberry devices on Verizon wireless. As far as Yahoo Messenger...I'm not positive but I don't think it has the feature you're looking for. Google Voice has some free or reduced priced calling within the US and Canada. Not sure about other locations. Also, Google voice required an invitation at least in the past. It's definitely worth a little research to see if that will suit your needs.
    01-25-11 07:58 PM
    Go into to ATT or Call them... tell them what you are looking for and see what kind of options they offer you.
    01-25-11 08:01 PM
    DawgMan is correct, Skype is only available to Verzion customers. I am not sure about Yahoo but so far Google Voice has done everything I have wanted including calling Canada for free. I did not need an invite to sign up, the only shortfall is it does use your cell minutes place phone calls.
    01-26-11 08:26 AM
    There are several IM programs that include Yahoo messenger, but I've never heard of them doing any voice calls. I don't use it though. There's no skype app for the Torch, but IM+ is working on a "Talk" app that'll let you log into skype. I don't know if it'll let you make VOIP callls, but somehow I doubt it.

@Fubaz: Have you called AT&T lately? Sorry, but they barely know what day it is. Let alone what phones they have, or what apps work on them. There are plenty of resources here to answer the OPs questions
    01-26-11 08:54 AM
    I think only the iphone does Skype and Yahoo IM voice with AT&T (maybe Android). Not having Skype on BB (outside of Verizon) is a shame and is close to being a deal breaker for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD