I've had a good look through the 9800 threads and answered some questions but i would like opinions of others who have gone from my current BB (9700) to a torch. Was it a good move and what did you personally find as plus and minus points if any? Thanks in advance for you replies. Warren
    12-12-10 07:56 AM
    touch screen, bigger screen.

edit: well I could say better browsing, because with the touch screen it's easy to zoom in/out of what you want to look at
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 12-12-10 at 08:05 AM.
    12-12-10 08:01 AM
    I moved from the 9000 and haven't looked back. I love tje 9000 but I like the Torch more. FYI, I haven't experienced any problems at all with my Torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 08:23 AM
    I've owned almost every GSM device RIM has produced, including the 8900, 9000, 9700 and now the 9800. I have to say this one, as expected is the best. The option of a virtual keyboard and physical keyboard is nice. My only knock, if you could call it that, is the battery life isn't as good as the 9700. But I guess that's to be expected with a larger device and everything that goes with it. the app memory is excellent. I have like 30 apps amd several custom themes and my memory is still around 250MB.
    12-12-10 08:28 AM
    Having had the 9000 and the 9700, I have had the Torch since launch day and have never looked backed.

Even if you load OS 6, the Torch would have the advantage.

1) More app memory.
    2) Better camera.
    3) Better keyboard.
    4) Larger screen.
    5) Pinch to Zoom/Double Tap.
    6) 4 GB Onboard Storage.

The touchscreen, trackpad and physical keyboard make device navigation, multi-tasking, web-browsing and social media more enjoyable and productive. The physical keyboard is similar to the 9700 but a little flatter to accomodate the slider. It takes a little getting used to but, in short order, you will be flying.

The more important thing is to actually go into a store and really test it. If you decide it meets your needs, then test against the i4 and Captivate.

If secure messaging is your priority with a pretty good browser and social media as well as respectable hardware, then the Torch is your choice. If you decide to buy it, use it more than a week or two to really see if you are happy with your choice. Whatever you decide, good luck but it is your decision.

12-12-10 08:53 AM
    I played with the brightness of the screen and I feel like 50 % brightness is enough for me (that's my opinion) my torch is able to stay on for 2 days now without charging.
    12-12-10 08:54 AM
    You can decrease it even more and it is still plenty bright. You can disconnect WiFi when not in use. Close apps and web browser when not in use. Battery life is great.

12-12-10 09:01 AM
    Love it! Need I say more?

P.S. My battery can last for minimum 2 days with a single full charge and really heavy usage.

12-12-10 09:33 AM
    I moved from the 9000 and haven't looked back. I love tje 9000 but I like the Torch more. FYI, I haven't experienced any problems at all with my Torch.

+1, as well as what everybody else has said.

Display, touch screen, browser have it all over the Bold series hands-down. I wasn't sure how I'd adapt to the touch screen at first, but now I'm addicted to it; though I still use the physical keyboard for anything longer than a 2-word text. And I find the batter life on the Torch is just about as good as it was on the Bold, and I'm on this thing much more than I ever was on the Bold. I can easily go a good 18 hours between charges with moderate phone, email and browser usage.

That being said, I still get frustrated with the slide-out keyboard. I find myself fat-fingering and just plain missing keys much more on this than I did on my Bold. But for all the other benefits of the Torch's form factor and other features, it's more than a fair trade-off for me. (Now if they'd just offer a version with a landscape-oriented keyboard, I think I'd be in smart-phone heaven.)
    12-12-10 10:28 AM
    I've had a good look through the 9800 threads and answered some questions but i would like opinions of others who have gone from my current BB (9700) to a torch. Was it a good move and what did you personally find as plus and minus points if any? Thanks in advance for you replies. Warren
    what's your reason for the upgrade?
    have you considered the 9780?
    the other members have already enumerated the pros and the cons of the Torch.. and the same goes for the numerous threads of how most members LOVE their 9800..

if you NEED a phone now.. Go for it!
    if not and you can Wait.. Wait for the next Blackberry..
    12-12-10 10:44 AM
    what's your reason for the upgrade?
    have you considered the 9780?
    the other members have already enumerated the pros and the cons of the Torch.. and the same goes for the numerous threads of how most members LOVE their 9800..

if you NEED a phone now.. Go for it!
    if not and you can Wait.. Wait for the next Blackberry..
    I really like the idea of the touch screen and keyboard. I did try one in a shop and didn't think the physical keyboard was as good as the 9700 to type but i suppose you get used to that. I think waiting for the next phone would be a good idea as they are getting much better at every new model.
    12-12-10 01:27 PM
    I went from 9700 to a 9800 and simultaneously use a 9780.

I have to say - side by side the 9780 for me is a better device. Even I had to choose between the 9700 and the 9800, I would still choose the 9700. However, I think my opinion on this might be very biased though since I had so much bad experiences with my Torch...I am starting to like it more and more every day...I think it just needs to grow on you!

I would personally tell you to wait for ATT to release the 9780, but again, I doubt anyone would agree with me
    12-12-10 01:31 PM
    End of the day it's your money. But I will say go for it!! Imo it trumps the 9700
    Also its free at best buy!! Been free since friday!
    I emailed cb. But I guess they didn't care to post it. I wonder why??

12-12-10 01:50 PM
    +1, as well as what everybody else has said.

Display, touch screen, browser have it all over the Bold series hands-down. I wasn't sure how I'd adapt to the touch screen at first, but now I'm addicted to it; though I still use the physical keyboard for anything longer than a 2-word text. And I find the batter life on the Torch is just about as good as it was on the Bold, and I'm on this thing much more than I ever was on the Bold. I can easily go a good 18 hours between charges with moderate phone, email and browser usage.

That being said, I still get frustrated with the slide-out keyboard. I find myself fat-fingering and just plain missing keys much more on this than I did on my Bold. But for all the other benefits of the Torch's form factor and other features, it's more than a fair trade-off for me. (Now if they'd just offer a version with a landscape-oriented keyboard, I think I'd be in smart-phone heaven.)
    Actually, a landscape physical keyboard *would* be ideal! I'm definitely teetering on the fence right now (call me waffle boy!) and can't make up my mind. I, too, am a very happy owner of a 9700 but that bigger screen and all that internal storage and app memory space is making me look long and hard. I think having to slide out that keyboard to type might get old.

My carrier has offered me a free upgrade and it wouldn't therefore cost me any of my own $$ but I still can't decide. My brother just moved over to a 9800 on Rogers (from a Bold 9000) so maybe I'll wait until his honeymoon is over with the phone and he's had to live with it for a bit, then pump him for info.

Interesting observation about the battery life, too. I'm happy if I only have to put it on the charger once a day at bedtime so the fact that it won't last as long as the 9700 is no show-stopper for me.

No question that it's a better phone than the 9700, though.
    12-12-10 02:57 PM
    I say go for it. I just got mine and its working beautifully, worth every penny thus far and its the best blackberry yet

12-12-10 03:54 PM
    I've had my Torch for over a month now and haven't had any problems. It's my 3rd blackberry - the first one had the round dial on the side for clicking, the second one was a "curve" from about 2004 and had the scratchy lil ball - but they both kept working and working. I just replaced the curve cuz I figured I finally wanted to have a phone with fast internet access, a good camera and a good music player. Really love the way it is so solid and reliable and the cool features work really well.
    12-12-10 04:13 PM
    i must admit i really really loved the torch. i played with it for a whole day after buying it. but for me its not worth to use my 2 year upgrade just now. i know i would regret it if i did.so back to the at&t store it went.im really looking forward to see what rim reveals next, hopefully a touchscreen bold. in the meantime, im content that my 9700 will hold me over until that time. i also have a 9000 as a backup. if you are patient like me, then wait. if you always run out and grab new phones ever year, then so be it.
    12-12-10 04:45 PM
    The only way a bar form RIM device will get a touchscreen with a physical keyboard is release a device that resembles the Droid Pro. Don't see it happening.
    12-12-10 05:58 PM
    The Torch is my 5th Blackberry and the best to date. Moved from the 9700 and have never looked back.
    12-12-10 06:22 PM
    The only way a bar form RIM device will get a touchscreen with a physical keyboard is release a device that resembles the Droid Pro. Don't see it happening.
    Agreed, screen would be to small to use as a touch screen(in bold format). Even if rim did released such a device people would complain it was to big to hold on to or use one handed.
    12-12-10 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD