Okay, I picked up the Torch on Thursday but didn't really starting dicking with it until Saturday.

I didn't think too much of the battery until yesterday - I took the phone off the charger about 5-5:30am.....by 4:15pm, then battery was at 8 percent remaining. This was with a few calls (one was 20 minutes plus), some BBM action, texts, and minor internet. I haven't changed any settings as far as the backlighting, etc. I thought that maybe the battery needed a few charge/discharge cycles to even out.

Today was about the same thing as far as usage and time goes but now at 28 percent remaining. This is totally unacceptable and granted this is a different beast from my 9700. But based on what most other people are saying, they are getting great battery life!

So I installed MeterBerry and since 3:29pm, it shows an average discharge rate of 7.9 percent! Tell me this isn't normal!

What is the consensus here? Normal battery? Or take this beyatch back and exchange it?

Thanks!
    08-17-10 04:48 PM
    doesnt seem normal to me mine is off charger most of the day
    08-17-10 04:54 PM
    Sounds like a bad battery or something is draining it. My battery life seems very good so far. Yesterday was a pretty light day as far as use, just a few phone calls, emails, a little web browsing and a little time just messing around with it. I took it off the charger at 5 am and when I went to bed at 11 pm it still had 2/3 - 3/4 left on the battery.
    08-17-10 04:56 PM
    Doesn't sound that bad OP.

It's worth noting things like BBM groups and other messaging apps are great for killing the battery.

In fact I'd suggest those things are the biggest battery killer apart from the other obvious ones like GPS/Video/Games etc.
    08-17-10 05:00 PM
    Doesn't sound that bad OP.

It's worth noting things like BBM groups and other messaging apps are great for killing the battery.

In fact I'd suggest those things are the biggest battery killer apart from the other obvious ones like GPS/Video/Games etc.
    I only use BBM (no groups) as far as messaging goes. I've only installed CaptureIt, MeterBerry, BerryWeather, and added the CB launcher. That's it. I guess this is going back.
    08-17-10 05:24 PM
    Hmm your battery life is about the same as mine.
    08-17-10 05:31 PM
    BerryWeather is probably a main culprit. I love the app so I deal with it, but that is horrible battery life.
    08-17-10 05:49 PM
    I unplugged my phone about 6 this morning, I have BerryWeather installed as well as quite a few other apps, use BBM quite a bit, been writing and receiving emails, some facebook browsing, some web surfing (here now and typing this on the Torch), a couple phone calls and 3 reboots from beta testing QuickLaunch and now over 13 hours later my battery is at 62%. This thing has AMAZING battery life as far as I'm concerned, ESPECIALLY after the reboots. My 9000 would be well dead at this point.

Oh yeah, and my wifi has been connected for a while too as well as 3G (even though I usually have it set to 2G only).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by NoahFecks; 08-17-10 at 06:17 PM.
    08-17-10 06:15 PM
    I unplugged my phone about 6 this morning, I have BerryWeather installed as well as quite a few other apps, use BBM quite a bit, been writing and receiving emails, some facebook browsing, some web surfing (here now and typing this on the Torch), a couple phone calls and 3 reboots from beta testing QuickLaunch and now over 13 hours later my battery is at 62%. This thing has AMAZING battery life as far as I'm concerned, ESPECIALLY after the reboots. My 9000 would be well dead at this point.

Oh yeah, and my wifi has been connected for a while too as well as 3G (even though I usually have it set to 2G only).

my battery sucks and also it gets pretty warm when i talk on the phone...what the helllll
    08-17-10 06:27 PM
    Okay, I picked up the Torch on Thursday but didn't really starting dicking with it until Saturday.

I didn't think too much of the battery until yesterday - I took the phone off the charger about 5-5:30am.....by 4:15pm, then battery was at 8 percent remaining. This was with a few calls (one was 20 minutes plus), some BBM action, texts, and minor internet. I haven't changed any settings as far as the backlighting, etc. I thought that maybe the battery needed a few charge/discharge cycles to even out.

Today was about the same thing as far as usage and time goes but now at 28 percent remaining. This is totally unacceptable and granted this is a different beast from my 9700. But based on what most other people are saying, they are getting great battery life!

So I installed MeterBerry and since 3:29pm, it shows an average discharge rate of 7.9 percent! Tell me this isn't normal!

What is the consensus here? Normal battery? Or take this beyatch back and exchange it?

Thanks!
    I'm having the same problems...knocked brightness down to 10 percent... Turn screen shutoff to ten seconds...turned off wifi...and still battery almost dead by lunchtime. Took it in and swapped out for a new battery today. We will see how that goes.

08-17-10 07:18 PM
    i have a different experience..
    i got 56 hours from 100% to 8%
    i have the brightness at 50% and i make sure all applications are closed.
    i usually go to switch application before putting it in my holster.
    i do 70-100 emails a day answers around 40-60 with 3-4 paragraphs..
    i don't do videos and music.. don't have the time
    i make 5-10 calls a day 10 -15 minutes each
    08-17-10 07:23 PM
    Do you people that have short battery lives have the social feeds running? That would seem to me to be a big resource hog with all that updating. I don't use it at all, I only use Facebook and I only log in once in a while and log out when I'm done with it so it doesn't run and waste resorces as well.

08-17-10 07:27 PM
    Do you people that have short battery lives have the social feeds running? That would seem to me to be a big resource hog with all that updating. I don't use it at all, I only use Facebook and I only log in once in a while and log out when I'm done with it so it doesn't run and waste resorces as well.

No social feeds running on mine. As a matter of fact, I turned all the notifications off.

I am going to exchange the device and see how it goes. I would suspect you would get about the same battery life as the 9700. I can go about a day and a half with it......but no way should it be dead in 11 hours.
    08-18-10 09:57 AM
    I wouldn't expect to get the same life as the 9700, Much bigger screen would IMO use more batter. Look at the storm series, They both use battery quite quickly.
    08-18-10 10:08 AM
    That being said I would return it and see if you get a better battery maybe that is the issue
    08-18-10 10:14 AM
    My first charge was aweful - down to dead in about 13 hours. Second charge lasted 2 days - but I am not a power user checking Facebook and such all day. I did get pretty religious about turning apps off - but I left the screen at 100% and wifi on to test it out.

So far so good - will see how charge three goes!
    08-18-10 10:14 AM
    I wouldn't expect to get the same life as the 9700, Much bigger screen would IMO use more batter. Look at the storm series, They both use battery quite quickly.
    I understand the Torch won't get the same battery life as the 9700 - but it should get more than 11 hours worth. As I was on a twenty minute call, the bottom portion of the phone was really warm. Not hot per se, but enough to where you could feel it.
    08-18-10 10:17 AM
    Like some others, I am experiencing fabulous battery life on my Torch.

I am only running 2G but my wifi is usually on the minute I walk into work. (poor coverage inside our building)
    Three email accounts, Weatherbug set to update ever 2 hours and the normal amount of dicking around on a new phone.

After a full charge the first night (Thursday) I charged it Saturday night (all night) and again last night, both times it had only fallen to 40% charge.
    08-18-10 10:26 AM
    My battery gets warm, but the life is good
    08-18-10 10:27 AM
    I understand the Torch won't get the same battery life as the 9700 - but it should get more than 11 hours worth. As I was on a twenty minute call, the bottom portion of the phone was really warm. Not hot per se, but enough to where you could feel it.
    Silly question..... I would do a battery pull and then a full overnight charge, and see how it does the next day. I know a few times when my 8900 and 9700 got hot and I did that and it fixed the issue

Happy Hunting!!
    08-18-10 10:41 AM
    No social feeds running on mine. As a matter of fact, I turned all the notifications off.

I am going to exchange the device and see how it goes. I would suspect you would get about the same battery life as the 9700. I can go about a day and a half with it......but no way should it be dead in 11 hours.
    Definitely exchange it. There are some Torches out there with inherently bad battery life -- whether it's the battery itself or something in the particular phone, who knows.

The Torch I got on "opening day" had disgraceful battery life. I exchanged for another on Sunday, and noted a real improvement in the battery. Unfortunately, that one had a case of the wobblies, so I exchanged it for yet another one Monday night. Happily, the battery life is just as good, particularly after the upgrade to .161 (though I still wobble a bit).
    08-18-10 10:52 AM
    Definitely exchange it. There are some Torches out there with inherently bad battery life -- whether it's the battery itself or something in the particular phone, who knows.

The Torch I got on "opening day" had disgraceful battery life. I exchanged for another on Sunday, and noted a real improvement in the battery. Unfortunately, that one had a case of the wobblies, so I exchanged it for yet another one Monday night. Happily, the battery life is just as good, particularly after the upgrade to .161 (though I still wobble a bit).
    Thanks for the update with yours.
    08-18-10 12:43 PM
    I have the exact same horrible battery life. I exchanged the battery bu the problem still persists. I'm an average user.

Last night it was at 60% with wifi and bluetooth turned off. I set it in the kitchen went to bed, this morning it was dead.

Mines going back tomorrow.

08-18-10 12:56 PM

08-18-10 05:50 PM
    I'm having to charge 3 times a day! I don't do anything but heavy text, bbm. My 9700 always lasted through the day. Not sure what to do.

08-18-10 05:52 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD