What is the security timer, and why would an application (a free game I downloaded off of appmobile called "falldown") want to reset it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-11 02:26 PM
    The Security Timer controls when your password lock goes into effect after a period of inactivity. It is possible the game programmer wants to keep your password from locking if you walk away with the game in progress. It is also possible, and maybe more likely, that the programmer asked for more permissions than were needed. The Security Timer is one that often has its permissions locked by BES IT Policies. I've had at least two apps that I could not use because they wanted to reset the Security Timer.
    01-31-11 02:37 PM
    The Security Timer controls when your password lock goes into effect after a period of inactivity. It is possible the game programmer wants to keep your password from locking if you walk away with the game in progress. It is also possible, and maybe more likely, that the programmer asked for more permissions than were needed. The Security Timer is one that often has its permissions locked by BES IT Policies. I've had at least two apps that I could not use because they wanted to reset the Security Timer.
    So your recommendation would be to not allow it to reset the timer and continue playing the game?
    It doesn't sound like it would be all that bad of a thing to just keeo the password lock from activating (which I have turned off)...so like you said it's more likely that's its asking for a lil too much lee-way.
    Last edited by arushus; 01-31-11 at 02:45 PM.
    01-31-11 02:43 PM
    If you are not using the password, then resetting the Security Timer is probably harmless. If you were using the password, I would not recommend it. My IT policy won't allow it.
    01-31-11 02:51 PM
    Ok...thanks a bunch for your help!!!

01-31-11 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD