I dont get why RIM keeps making phones where the screen is big but has those borders around it taking away possible screen space?

The screen on this phone could be much wider and offer a better experience if they did not do this with the screen as much. I do not understand why they do it this way. Maybe because of formatting reasons or something, but looks tacky.

Just my 2 cents, any one have any opinions on why they do this?
    03-04-10 08:01 AM
    I don't know the answer but the screen you see is not the complete screen. There's actually part of the screen component which protrudes above the glass as part of the housing.

I guess it's a similar question to why the passenger compartment isn't the whole size of the car. If you start looking at what's under the hood you can see they did use most of the rest of that area as economically as they could, I suspect it's the same with phones. The screens come from 3rd parties in fixed sizes.

Have a look here:

BlackBerry Curve 8900 - phoneWreck

For an interesting "inside" view of an 8900. I haven't checked whether they have a Tour teardown but they do have other BBs. Very interesting site.
    03-04-10 08:07 AM
    i was wondering the same thing. those black aeas around the screen could very much so be put to use
    03-04-10 01:06 PM
    That's my biggest problem with the design. There is so much dead space.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-10 01:42 PM
    I think that the screen should grow every time that I look at it. And then when I look away it should shrink back down to save on energy use. Also, the further that I hold the phone away from my eyes the bigger the screen should be.......I just don't know what RIM is thinking......c'mon guys!
    03-04-10 01:57 PM
    cool article! makes sense but still wish they could add a little more screen!

They did it with the original bold
    03-04-10 06:17 PM
    i agree also. rim needs to change this. this was also discussed on the podcast.
    03-04-10 10:37 PM
    I find this really annoying also
    03-05-10 09:30 AM
    I think that's my biggest issue with this device. It makes the whole thing seem clunky.

The sexiest thing about the iPhone to me is that it is a large screen, with a minimized bezel. This device seems to be trying the opposite.

A HUGE, useless bezel (coated in cheap "chrome" paint) surrounding a screen that seems too small for its own good.

It reminds me of one of those knock-off iPods with the too-small screens.
    03-07-10 04:37 PM
    I think maybe its going to be like the pre whereas there will be swipes etc that actually go past the screen? You can't to that without a little extra room on the sides top and bottom of the screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD