the screen in glass and if you don't put it in a pocket with keys it will most likely never scratch. so I'm anti screen protector as well lol.
    10-13-10 04:34 PM
    Hardness, not toughness. Usually glass is more scratch resistant than plastic, but it breaks easily, while plastic absorbs more impact energy therefore not shattering.
    10-13-10 04:43 PM
    The Torch screen being plastic is debatable... there have been several posts that are claiming it to be glass. One thread that I read, a poster dropped his Torch and posted pics of the _shattered_ screen. He said it was most definitely glass. A few other people with Torch "mishaps" have claimed the same thing. I don't care to drop mine to find out

Regardless... A good quality, properly installed screen protector is not noticeable, and for most of us, is definitely worth the peace of mind that it brings.
    I'm pretty sure that the screen is plastic.

What people are seeing shattered is the LCD glass or digitizer. The top layer that your fingers touch is plastic with an anti-scratch coating.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-10 05:02 PM
    I'm pretty sure that the screen is plastic.

What people are seeing shattered is the LCD glass or digitizer. The top layer that your fingers touch is plastic with an anti-scratch coating.

I just looked up the replacement part...

Blackberry Torch 9800 OEM digitizer - - Cellular Accessories - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG,

Product Name: Blackberry Torch 9800 OEM digitizer
    Product Description
    Blackberry Torch 9800 OEM digitizer

This is the touch screen part of the phone, which also contains the glass. If the glass on your phone has a crack on it, this is the replacement part that's required to fix the phone

So from their description it sounds like it's all one piece. Doesn't say that the glass is covered in plastic, but it doesn't say that it's not either. Pretty vague.
    10-13-10 07:34 PM
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

They're cheap and for the most part easy to apply...why not get a screen protector?
    10-13-10 09:28 PM
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

They're cheap and for the most part easy to apply...why not get a screen protector?
    My thoughts as well, I've always used them always will.
    10-13-10 09:54 PM
    Anyone use a "privacy" screen protector? It was a ***** to see through on my 9700 but my buddy has one on his Torch and it works remarkably well. Oh and as to why have a screen protector? The same reason parachutes have a reserve chute, sure the parachute is supposed to open but juuuuust in case.

I have a privacy on mines and it works well, yes it gets the screen dark but that's the whole point of privacy. I can still read it and its on 10% brightness.
    10-13-10 10:39 PM
    Prior to Torch I had a Storm 2. The screen got a scratch from my diamond stud earring (which is not huge). Since then I've actually stopped wearing an earring on my usual phone ear. Until I find a screen protector I like. I wonder if this has happened to others, or if it was just a fluke.

10-14-10 12:55 AM
    I have a privacy on mines and it works well, yes it gets the screen dark but that's the whole point of privacy. I can still read it and its on 10% brightness.
    Used one on my previous phone, Bold 9000. Not bad and can be had for 5 bucks from eBay. Should probably get one for the Torch one issues are fixed up
    10-14-10 01:43 AM
    Prior to Torch I had a Storm 2. The screen got a scratch from my diamond stud earring (which is not huge). Since then I've actually stopped wearing an earring on my usual phone ear. Until I find a screen protector I like. I wonder if this has happened to others, or if it was just a fluke.

you scratched your phone from your earring? :-O what were you doing? Rubbing it up and down your ear? lol...now you have me worried as I wear earrings
    10-14-10 08:37 AM
    I use a screen protector because I, like most people, hate fingerprints and glare. A screen protector handles both.. I'm trying to find the downside.
    10-14-10 08:50 AM
    Where did your buddy get this privacy screen protector? I want to know because there are some that are really expensive(ie: $16(?) casemate) and some really cheap(ebay for $0.01). I must find a good one! Reply on here or PM me pls!

No idea what brand it is, but he got it from a mobile phone kiosk at the mall. He said it cost about $20 and it had be custom fit (cut) to fit the borders properly. But I was able to see through it without having to angle it just right and there wasnt an intense glare outside. If I find out the brand-name I'll let you know.
    10-14-10 09:11 AM
    I never worried about a screen protector for my BB until I got my Torch. The last thing I would want is a scratch on the screen as it's a touch screen. A few bucks spent is worth the piece of mind IMHO.
    10-14-10 09:15 AM
    I have a privacy screen protector on my Torch. It was about $20 from the AT&T Corporate store. At first it was great - it does what it is supposed to - but I am getting bored with the dullness of the screen because of it. Also, it got a scratch in it from something that has created a small (size of a staple) area where the "privacy" coating is scratched off. How annoying.

I am planning to take it off and go with a regular clear protector. It adds privacy but not enough to warrant the downsides of using it.
    10-14-10 10:15 AM
    you scratched your phone from your earring? :-O what were you doing? Rubbing it up and down your ear? lol...now you have me worried as I wear earrings
    lol no rubbing that i recall! But maybe the phone slipped and I grabbed it or something, anyway it left a single scratch on the screen and I was ticked. I know diamond can scratch glass (or plastic whatever this is). Scared me. My old old old lg phone really got scratched and dulled over time from the earring. I'm surprised this doesn't happen to others. Maybe just the way I hold the phone. See that's how much I love my Torch, more important that a stupid diamond.
    10-14-10 04:50 PM
    I'm not a boig fan myself as I use my 9000 belt holster. But might have to look into the privacy screen.
    10-14-10 10:16 PM
    I've tried zagg and bse on my torch. Bse is far better feeling. Feels like nothing it is there.

10-14-10 11:16 PM
    I like to roll NAKED.

I agree, screen protector is not needed on this phone. If you drop it hard enough where it would crack WITHOUT it, I think it's going to crack WITH IT. Just my $00.02.
    10-14-10 11:32 PM
    Privacy screens will always distort your screen's clarity.

10-14-10 11:34 PM
    I think the best thing about screen protectors is that it keeps finger prints away.

10-14-10 11:48 PM
    I have a bunch of scratches on my privacy screen protector on my Bold 9000 major ones too but not noticeable unless its on the dark angles which I don't care as long as I can't see them when viewing the screen and not on the phone's screen itself. I guess that's the only downside to the privacy screen protectors.

10-15-10 12:21 AM
    I have a bunch of scratches on my privacy screen protector on my Bold 9000 major ones too but not noticeable unless its on the dark angles which I don't care as long as I can't see them when viewing the screen and not on the phone's screen itself. I guess that's the only downside to the privacy screen protectors.
    Actually, that's the UPSIDE to them... you just peel it off and apply a new one. Not the same if those scratches are on your BB...
    10-15-10 12:43 AM
    lol no rubbing that i recall! But maybe the phone slipped and I grabbed it or something, anyway it left a single scratch on the screen and I was ticked. I know diamond can scratch glass (or plastic whatever this is). Scared me. My old old old lg phone really got scratched and dulled over time from the earring. I'm surprised this doesn't happen to others. Maybe just the way I hold the phone. See that's how much I love my Torch, more important that a stupid diamond.
    The same thing happened to my Curve. Not only did I scratch my screen, it actually scratched the silver off around the screen pretty bad too. I think it happens from resting the phone on your shoulder when talking. So now I'm like you and don't wear my diamond earrings because I love my Torch more. The things we do for a phone.... ; )

10-15-10 05:36 AM
    Actually, that's the UPSIDE to them... you just peel it off and apply a new one. Not the same if those scratches are on your BB...
    That's why I think of it as a downside, I hate applying or reapplying screen protectors. Its a pain for me.

10-15-10 09:56 AM
    It's still easier than changing the LCD cover.

Maybe someone needs to invent an earring protector...
    10-15-10 10:20 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD