Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for pushing my school emails to my BlackBerry. Our district just began using gmail for businesses. However, our addresses are not @gmail they are @ourdomain. I am wondering if there is a way to push email messages from my school (gmail) account to my BlackBerry. I have tried adding it as a gmail account, and just putting in our domain as the username but it did not work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    09-09-10 08:58 PM
    Yes. Just add a generic "other" account but you need all the incoming and outgoing server info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-10 09:14 PM
    My college recently went to the same gmail accounts, our domain is @georgiasouthern.edu but were using gmail.

I just got mine up and running in my blackberry, here are the instructions given to me by my school:

To set up the BlackBerry's email client with Google Apps email (IMAP), just follow these steps:

1. On your BlackBerry device, navigate to your home screen
    2. Select the icon that lets you set up email (this can be called Setup, Setup Wizard, Email Setup, BlackBerry Set-up, E-mail settings, or Personal Email Set-up)
    3. Follow the setup instructions provided on your device to create a new e-mail account
    4. Be sure to enter the following:
    * Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
    * Username: [your full Google Apps email address]
    * Password: [your Google Apps password]
    * IMAP Port: 993
    5. Allow the system to add your account, but do not enter your Google Apps password into the utility boxes (this causes the system to default to POP3 instead of IMAP)
    6. Select Next
    7. Select Next again (bypassing the 'Additional Information Required' section)
    8. Select your account type, then select Next
    You may encounter a 'We were unable to configure...' error. Select I will provide the settings to continue
    9. Select the option that mentions 'IMAP/POP'
    10. Select I will provide the settings..., then select Next
    11. Select Set up existing email account...
    12. Enter your Google Apps account information here, with 'imap.gmail.com' as your mail server
    13. Select Next
    14. Select Save

I followed this and it works great, hope it helps!
    09-09-10 10:23 PM
    Girlfriends college just went to gmail too. Cool thing about it being operated by gmail is its "smart", if you will.

Go into you email setup on your phone, enter your username password (if it isn't already entered) and go to add email.

Like shansmi said, select "other" and simply enter your email address exactly as you would if your where typing it in to send something to it and password then hit continue. It will figure it all out for ya and set it up.

Done this for a couple of students... Its makes discussion groups a LOT easier ;-) ...

09-10-10 03:35 AM
    my school has done the same thing and all i did was put in my email address and password in the set up and everything starts coming in with no problems
    I believe i did it under other (or it might be under gmail)
    09-10-10 09:04 AM
    My school just did the same thing, just this morning I re-added it to my BIS by selecting to add a gmail account, then typing in my full email ([email protected]) - works fine now.

09-10-10 11:44 AM
    Thank you for all of the great suggestions. However, it is still not letting me add the email address. If I try to add a "generic" email account when I enter the email and password it's saying that it is invalid, even though I know that the information is correct. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the school district somehow limited the access. Wouldn't want to make this whole email situation convenient for anyone or anything!
    09-10-10 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD