Alright so my name is Jordan. I am a sales rep for ATT. I sell the Torch along with the 9700 and many other pones. I am looking for peoples opinions on the Torch 9800. I currently use one and will review it down below. I love the phone but I am looking for a few peoples opinions just so I can find some new ways to approach sales.

My review on the Torch. ( In the last year I have owned a Iphone 3gs, Samsung Captivate Galaxy S, Droid 1 and 2 and X.)

So to start off I am going to just jump into the touch screen part. I have been seeing a lot of people talking about lag with the Torch and I personally can say I have seen very minimal. Having come from the Captivate before this there is almost none. All of the phones that I have previously owned that are touch screen (Especially the Droids) there was much more lage between screens. Next I would have to say accuracy. The accuracy of the screen is awsome. I personlly have smaller fingers so it is nice. I have also had co workers and friends who have bigger fingers use it and like it. Unfourtanently because of the screen size using the digital keypad can be hard at times even for me.

OS 6. Unfourtantnely I can not give you to much of a review on this beacuse I have not used many previous OS systems from blackberry. Comparing it to the Droid OS and IOS it seems as if it can hold its own.

Applications The app world on the phone is awsome. It has a lot of cool apps that I can use. I use some for organization and some for just fun. The part that is lacking is that with the droid market there is more apps but I think that BB will catch up soon.

Sorry for such a short review
    Overall Rating of the phone 9 out of 10
    11-01-10 12:11 PM
    Hey Jordan. The Torch would be my 6th Blackberry and the best by far. My only issues with it are that my first 2 were wobblers. I love the touch screen and find it very precise. Also I have no issues with the resolution, nice and crisp with good color. As for lag, I have none. The Torch is very responsive and I sure don't miss the spinning clock I got with my Bold 9000 all the time.

OS6 and the new browser....VAST improvements over previous versions IMO. Very easy to use and fast. I find myself actually browsing the net on my phone now. Before with OS5 and prior it was an exercise in frustration.

Like so many others I do wish a keyboard similar in size to the Bold 9000 had been used but the one it has works just fine.

I too rate my Torch experience a 9/10.
    11-01-10 01:18 PM
    Coming from a 9700 to a Torch was big. I love the bigger screen, the touchscreen for navigation but the phone doesn't feel right with the slide up, but the touch keypad is not that great. It is a dilemma. But the phone is actually great. I think it's not an Iphone or Captive killer but it's not suited to be. I love the phone really. Don't really use the media a lot. I use the Ipod Touch for that. But the internet browser is great IMO. Still have everything Blackberry is known for. I think the Bold feels just right in my hands but I love the Torch.

some minor Hardware issues are a bit disappointing but overall the phone is great.
    11-01-10 04:20 PM
    Good thread maybe it help me decide what phone I will get next.
    I'm a 9000 user, well was my bold died a couple of week ago the dealer sent it to repair and gave me a new 8520 while I wait.....so in one month I can change the phone and I'm having a hard time deciding if getting a 9700 or go with the 9800.....at first I wanted the 9800 but my boss from houston told me that it a very bad phone...to go with the 9700.....

The other option is the wait for the 9780 to come to my country but I dont now how much time I will have to wait.

So it will be great to hear from the 9800 owner and the one's that trade there 9700 for a 9800 and if they are satisfide with the decition.

thanks for the help
    11-01-10 04:42 PM
    I've had the torch for about 2 weeks and I'm a heavy user. My previous phone was a Curve 8320 which I carried with me constantly for 3 years.

At first, the Torch (AT&T) had some issues that made me think twice about my decision to skip the 9780 and go for a touch screen. It was very slow, felt heavy in the pocket, and the unlock key was pressed by itself in my pocket all the time causing my pocket to place a few surprise calls. Very frustrating.

Then I updated the os (from .141 to 28x) and installed an app called pattern lock which fixes the unlock issue. Its now very fast, comparible to an Iphone 3GS, and a delight to use. I prefer it to using my wife's iPhone for browsing. And its a blackberry with great messaging and 3 day battery life.

It still has a few quirks, such as forgetting how to pair with my bluetooth headphones once in a while, but thats a software issue that will get fixed soon I think.

So I'd rate it 5/10 until I updated the OS, and now its a solid 8/10.
    11-01-10 07:16 PM
    I am in sales with AT&T also and have seen a very positive response to the Torch. I have been using one and it has been really enjoyable. The only downside I experience is the need to slide up for the full physical keyboard. I like using that more than the touch just cause, well, its a blackberry keyboard. So it takes a moment to have to slide it open. However, I don't personally consider that a fault of much significance.

The new OS has been wonderful to me so far. Universal search, the browser, and its very quick and responsive for me.

Good luck in your sales with AT&T, I've enjoyed my time doing it!
    vailjo91 likes this.
    11-02-10 02:09 AM
    I have owned 4 berries in 2 years by far the 9700 was a stellar device, I love my torch but the main reason i upgraded was for os6, now with leaks for the 9700 coming out I am wondering if it was worth the upgrade, I'm not a huge touchscreen fan and I've always been a big fan of the durability of the candybar form factor, I kept my 9700 in an otterbox and I wasnt afraid to throw it across the room just to see the horror on iphone owners faces, now with a touchscreen and a slider im not so cocky about my phone, the 9700 is the ultimate messaging device and a great mp3 player, now that i have a torch i find myself playing more games and watching more videos, the torch is probably the best media device rim has created, now with rumours of a touchscreen bold form factor im dying to see this, in all honesty the screen on the torch is.... get this... TOO BIG, when im trying to fire off a txt one handed with the physical keybo the screen makes the device top heavy and i feel like i might drop it.
    11-09-10 01:37 PM
    What's a better horse? A thoroughbred? or a Pack horse?
    Fact of the matter is...you can't compare them. One's for looking pretty and winning races. The other one is your stud; tried and true work horse.

Let's face it. Blackberry has never been the SEXIEST phone in town. Back when it had the little dial on the side in it's monochrome predominantly email stage, it STILL wasn't a sexy device. Motorola had Razr, and Sony had a slew of walkman phones and camera phones that were FAR sexier devices.

Blackberry is a WORK phone that you can play with.
    iPhones are PLAY phones that you can work on.

It really depends on what you're looking for.

~LB
    11-10-10 02:57 PM
    So far I think the Torch is the best phone that I have owned.
    I would check the phones for wobble before handing it to a customer.
    I have several HTC phone, then Treo, iPhone, 2 Curves, 2 Bolds and on my 3rd Torch. (first Torch just shut down one day, second had wobble, the third is perfect)
    Great phone for business...I have 7 email acct with different settings on each.
    11-11-10 09:39 PM
    While I'd put a Bold 9000 as the best BlackBerry I've ever owned, I find the Torch is very solid, both in hardware and software. As a touchscreen device, it's a huge improvement on the Storm2. I really like it.
    11-11-10 10:58 PM
    The Torch is a business phone that is actually fun to use. I'm in Sales, also (wine), and I would stress this to my customers if I were trying to sell this phone. It's for the businessman who wants access to media without carrying along an extra device such as an ipod touch, but who's still primarily concerned with communication. I appreciate the option of being able to do a task multiple ways and not get bored. It's not trying to be an iphone killer. If someone wants to speak into a large rectangle, let them.
    11-11-10 11:16 PM
    I still think the 9700 or the 9780 for now will still be the best if you really into a Blackberry that does what its supposed to do. The 9800 is a combination of both business and entertainment but its a master of neither.

The 9800 is perfect for those young "socialite" where chatting is more important than replying e-mail.

But for a business user, I think the traditional configuration such as the 9700 would still be the best.

- Charles
    11-11-10 11:44 PM
    Interesting views, so far. Mine is based on the Torch being my first BB. My Nokia N80 I consider as a "feature phone. My main smartphone experience is with WinMo phones (5.0, 6.1 & 6.5) & Android as a 2nd OS on one of those. Other than the Nokia, the rest are touchscreen phones, with physical keyboards. So, here are my thoughts.

The BB purist can't see the benefit of a touchscreen. But one of the reasons I'm packing a BB is because the Torch has a touchscreen. If you're used to a touchscreen & keyboard combination, you get used to the idea that some forms of navigation just beg for a touchscreen.

I agree with the op that you can find more lag on other OSes than you'll usually see on the Torch. The Torch has plenty of memory, considering that most apps are very small compared to similar apps on other OSes. The 624 mhz processor isn't a 1 ghz screamer, but it's faster than the processor in the Tilt2 & the OS doesn't require 1 ghz to keep it from bogging down.

I have to disagree with the poster who suggested that the Torch was more for the socialite chatter, rather than those replying to email. The BB keyboard is there, the screen is larger for better email visibility, the Torch does very well with attached documents. Yes, I do BBM & GoogleTalk, but I do more texting & email (multiple accounts on my phone) than IM. There are things I used to wait till I got to a computer to do that now get done on my Torch.

The OS is definitely a work in progress. The original release version should never have been let loose in public. But each subsequent version has had improvements. As of the latest version, there are still some glitches, but it's pretty decent.
    11-12-10 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD