Hey all!

I have noticed that when I use my wifi at home, while using the browser on my 9800, I get a lot of slow page loads, or it stops loading & I get "requesting" at the bottom of my screen or the "cannot connect to the internet" error.
    However, if I use free wifi elsewhere it's very fast & I never drop a connection.

I'm using a D-Link DIR-655. My wife's laptop can only connect in G mode.

Can somebody tell me how I should configure my router so it doesn't drop the connection on my 9800?

I am using firmware 1.21 (when I check for new firmware that's the latest - I'm in Canada).
    I'm using the following settings:
    Wireless Radio : Enabled
    802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
    Channel Width : 40MHz
    Channel : 10
    Secondary Channel : 6

also: auto scan is enabled & channel width is set to auto.
    I have seen other DIR-655 users report no problems.
    12-22-10 09:27 AM
    I would try disabling the N band, and using B/G mixed.
    12-22-10 09:31 AM
    Really?
    Ok, will give it a shot.

That didn't work, but changing the channel width to to 20 MHz seems to have improved things greatly.
    Last edited by kingb71; 12-22-10 at 10:03 AM.
    12-22-10 09:32 AM
    There is a 1.34NA available for the Dlink DIR655. Cause I'm in Canada and I had to load it to get my Torch to connect properly on my home wifi network.
    12-22-10 10:31 AM
    Slow page loading may be the result of a slow or heavily loaded DNS server. Home routers like to have themselves act as the DNS server (they forward DNS queries on to the ISP's DNS server though), but this is not the ideal setup. Either set the dns server in the router directly to the ISP's server's so that the router isn't handling those queries, or use Steve Gibson's DNS benchmarking tool GRC's | DNS Nameserver Performance Benchmark to determine a faster dns server for the clients on your network to use.

Setting the channel width can make a big difference, and I would also use either channel 6 or 11 as the primary and secondary (can use them in either order, it really doesn't matter). I've seen instances where using channels other than number 6 or 11 has caused unusual connections issues for the wireless clients on a network.

Turning off the wireless N feature in the router won't make any difference either. I have a DIR-655 as well, and on the suggestion to a user in another thread, I tested this myself. Using B and G only provided no gain in connection reliability.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 10:31 AM
    There is a 1.34NA available for the Dlink DIR655. Cause I'm in Canada and I had to load it to get my Torch to connect properly on my home wifi network.
    Where did you get 1.34NA from, the DLink web site?

Thanks Dochouse7, I will try your suggestions too.
    12-22-10 10:36 AM
    I just clicked the check for firmware updates button. And it showed there was a firmware update available to 1.34na

Here is the 1.34NA firmware in case you decided you want to try it:

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir655/F...5_fw_134NA.zip
    12-22-10 10:40 AM
    D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router

12-22-10 10:43 AM
    the check for new firmware button doesn't find that one for me.
    I will manually install it, thanks!
    12-22-10 10:45 AM
    the check for new firmware button doesn't find that one for me.
    I will manually install it, thanks!
    New Firmware button doesn't find any updates for me either, even though I can see on the D-Link website that one is available.

12-22-10 11:23 AM
    I upgraded the firmware, changed the channel width to 20, and the channel to 11 and it seems to be better.
    I will continue to experiment with it & report back if I have any problems.
    12-22-10 11:25 AM
    There have been a lot of posts about the torch and d-link routers. Seems they dont like each other, if i remember correctly it has to do with d-link using an older version of N band profiles as opposed to the torch using newer.
    12-22-10 11:30 AM
    what brand router does the Torch like?
    I may have to "upgrade" on boxing day.
    12-22-10 11:31 AM
    I feel like this is a shame full plug now. I currently use a linksys wrt610N, and my torch works flawlessly with it on N band at 20mhz.
    12-22-10 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD