So not only do us Canadians get ripped off with 3 yr contracts, that pricing is horrendous! ARGH!
    Yeah not only do we have to wait a month for the phone to come out here, we have to pay through the nose for it as well..
    08-29-10 10:55 AM
    300 bucks, ack... Be worth waiting a few weeks or however long it takes rogers to drop the price, that's just insane

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 02:23 PM
    $300?!?!

I'd rather buy out the phone and not be stuck in a damn contract extra 3 year contract. I'm so sick of being stuck. Canada SUCKS for cell phones.
    08-29-10 02:53 PM
    I'm trying to remember what the Bold 9000 was when it first launched. I'm thinking I paid around $199, but I could be wrong. I imagine the Torch would be about the same... I can't see it being all that much more.
    08-29-10 03:01 PM
    300 bucks, ack... Be worth waiting a few weeks or however long it takes rogers to drop the price, that's just insane

If the Torch follows the same pricing curve that the Bold 9700 did, then I anticipate the following pricing model:

Initial Release (September) all carriers: $ 299.00/3 Year
    1st carrier to drop price (November): $ 249.00/3 Year
    Christmas/Boxing Week: $ 199.00/3 Year
    Post Boxing Week: $ 229.00/3 Year
    By September 2011: $ 99.00/3 Year

Makes perfect sense from a carrier, maximize revenue perspective - all the early adopters will gladly pay the $ 300 (or more) to get the phone ASAP, and everyone else will simply wait until the price drops down to their comfort level before they pull the trigger. If sales are not on the desired curve, then they will simply start dropping the price sooner.
    08-29-10 03:29 PM
    If the Torch follows the same pricing curve that the Bold 9700 did, then I anticipate the following pricing model:

Initial Release (September) all carriers: $ 299.00/3 Year
    1st carrier to drop price (November): $ 249.00/3 Year
    Christmas/Boxing Week: $ 199.00/3 Year
    Post Boxing Week: $ 229.00/3 Year
    By September 2011: $ 99.00/3 Year

Makes perfect sense from a carrier, maximize revenue perspective - all the early adopters will gladly pay the $ 300 (or more) to get the phone ASAP, and everyone else will simply wait until the price drops down to their comfort level before they pull the trigger. If sales are not on the desired curve, then they will simply start dropping the price sooner.
    I don't think it makes sense. Carriers make money on the plans they sell, not on the phones. By lowering the price of the phone, they will gain more buyers, and more importantly, more contracts. If the phone were $300, I might as well buy it at full price and save myself the contract.

08-29-10 03:59 PM
    I only paid 100 for my 9000 when it came out on a 3 year contract.. And got a $50 rebate

08-29-10 04:10 PM
    I think its 299 with a 100$ rebate.
    08-29-10 04:37 PM
    I only paid 100 for my 9000 when it came out on a 3 year contract.. And got a $50 rebate

Agreed. I'm not sure what some of these other posters are talking about.

But when I got my Bold 9000 (Nov. '08) I only paid $100 (on 3 yrs) & got a $50 MIR.
    08-29-10 05:48 PM
    well hopefully we get a rebate or the pricing isn't outrageous
    08-29-10 06:26 PM
    well hopefully we get a rebate or the pricing isn't outrageous
    Fingers crossed.
    08-29-10 06:54 PM
    I don't think it makes sense. Carriers make money on the plans they sell, not on the phones. By lowering the price of the phone, they will gain more buyers, and more importantly, more contracts. If the phone were $300, I might as well buy it at full price and save myself the contract.

problem is-- full price is closer to 600

08-29-10 07:18 PM
    i'm going to be a new BlackBerry user in the coming weeks. Called rogers the other day to get a retentions plan...i was gonna get the bold 9700, but after hearing the torch is to be released mid/end september I might just wait.

But $299 on 3 year contract?! i might as well drive down to the states and pick one up for $499 no contract!!!

I was hoping for something around the $199 range for 3 year contract
    08-29-10 07:20 PM

Would you rather pay 600$ or 300$ and be stuck on a 3 year contract?
    08-29-10 07:21 PM
    Screw the contract and pay full price. I haven't been on a contract for over 16 years and it is great.
    08-29-10 07:39 PM
    Screw the contract and pay full price. I haven't been on a contract for over 16 years and it is great.
    I would agree with the no contract deal...
    but some people have retention plans through rogers or w/e and they have to sign new contracts (ie: me...i don't mind as I don't upgrade phones all the time)
    08-29-10 07:43 PM
    Thats what I'm saying. Rogers makes there money off contracts. For them to have the price at 300$ would be ridiculous. They wouldn't make as much off this phone as if they would if the price was dropped. Most people would choose to pay the 600$ with no contract and save money in the long run.
    08-29-10 07:44 PM
    i'm going to be a new BlackBerry user in the coming weeks. Called rogers the other day to get a retentions plan...i was gonna get the bold 9700, but after hearing the torch is to be released mid/end september I might just wait.

But $299 on 3 year contract?! i might as well drive down to the states and pick one up for $499 no contract!!!

I was hoping for something around the $199 range for 3 year contract
    yikes. $300 is too much

i think when i go to NY in September i'll try and swing by an AT&T store and play with/buy one.
    08-29-10 08:12 PM
    maybe im just young and naive but was is the big deal with being on a contract? your not going to not have a mobile, your gunna be paying someone monthly, so what the big deal about being tied to a contract? i dont see how its worth 300 to not be on a contract, im not trying to bash people i just dont understand it so if there is a big reason could someone enlighten me
    08-29-10 08:42 PM
    ^^^
    i think some people out there want to just upgrade to newer phones whenever they want without having to do a hardware upgrade and pay or whatever

i personally don't mind being on a contract
    08-29-10 08:59 PM
    I always pay full $$. I was just saying, thats all

08-29-10 09:01 PM

I'm well aware of that. The reason why it could be worth it is because I could easily switch if a better plan comes along. Say this new plan saves me $20 a month. After two years, that's a savings of $480. If I wanted to do that, but were stuck in a contract, I'd have to pay an ETF of around $500 if I'm only a year into my contract, all because I wanted to save $300 on a phone.

I ran into a situation almost identical to this when WIND mobile came along and offered far cheaper rates without contracts.

Last edited by Masahiro; 08-29-10 at 09:19 PM.
    08-29-10 09:15 PM
    Just saw a blackberry torch commercial on speed tv. although it was advertising AT&T, this mabey a teaser by rogers giving us a taste...... or just another commercial.
    08-29-10 10:05 PM
    maybe im just young and naive but was is the big deal with being on a contract? your not going to not have a mobile, your gunna be paying someone monthly, so what the big deal about being tied to a contract? i dont see how its worth 300 to not be on a contract, im not trying to bash people i just dont understand it so if there is a big reason could someone enlighten me
    some people just dont like the idea of being locked in to one carrier, and the thought of a recurring bill for X years can be offsettling. especially to those with rocky careers. say if someone lost their job, and in the middle of a contract, then they're stuck with a bill or early cancellation fee.

to a younger generation, it's not that big of a deal i guess, because we're probably always going to have a cell phone (most young people dont subscribe to a landline, and rely on cell phones as personal phones) but its hard to predict what could happen within 3 years. but it does kind of put a barrier up. say if telus comes out with a rockin awesome plan, instead of just switching over, you're committed to rogers, and will have to argue with retention to get what you want.

if (good) smartphones were priced at around the 199 sweet spot with no agreement, life would be a lot easier with cell phone services. sadly, thats not how it goes. and you can thank the man.

But back on topic, there's absolutely no justification for the phone to be that expensive. if anyone lives near the border, theres no reason to buy this phone in canada if it's priced like this. 499 US =/= 649 canadian. 199 US:2 year =/= 299 CAD: 3 year. and with our strong dollar, and canada's central bank with no intention of lowering the value, this is just exploitation, and RIM, Rogers, et al. should know better. Car companies have been stepping up. actual cell services i can see a justification for a bit of difference in price points, as markets and infrastructure is different, but this is core hardware. the rogers/bellus torches will likely be absolutely identical to the US. if canadians are sold the canadian built units, then theres no importation or tariffs of those units. absolute thievery. I'm 20 mins from waterloo and would not have any problem showing RIM how ****ed up it is to be ripping off your fellow citizens because you can.
    08-29-10 11:03 PM
    ^^ Well said.
    08-29-10 11:06 PM
1,267 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD